Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quck Matrix question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fire Hawk
So my friend James has been reading through the Matrix rules in 4th Edition, and can't figure out exactly how it works (the rules are rather ambiguous).

How exactly does a datasteal get played out (for example)?
fistandantilus4.0
well for a data steal, you exploit the system to get in find, perform a data search to get to what you're looking for, avoid IC , get through any encryption, repeat as necessary to get through multiple choke points, etc to get to what you need, copy the file after cheecking for data bombs, and move on out.

That's a short simplified version. Try a search for hacking to get TONS more detailed. Or if you have a more specific questions feel free to elaborate. the books Target:Matrix and Matrix are great, as are any adventures with matrix stuff (of which there are plenty). They can give you a better over view of the matirx as a whole and what some of the common types of mayhem you can pull are all about. Until Unwired comes out at least.
cetiah
Sorry we weren't much help with you on this issue, Fire Hawk. I'll tell you what, if you're interested, I'll run through a play-by-email paydata run with you so you can see how it works in SR4. Just post a starting hacking character here.

P.S., questions like this might get better helped on the SR4 forum. For future reference.
mfb
i'd just like to note that i wouldn't, personally, call "how does this ruleset work" a quick question.

fist's description is accurate. i might add certain details. for instance, when he says "avoid IC", what that means is that the IC will be patrolling the system and you have to hide from it. this basically works the same way as a security guard patrolling the grounds of an area you're infiltrating: when the GM determines that the IC/secguard might notice you, he rolls to spot you and you roll to avoid being spotted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012