Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How often do YOU use your contacts?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kozbot
I'm sure this is a subject that's come up many many times before but I was talking to one of my coworkers who I GM for and he commented that he's never had a GM that requires the use of contacts as heavily as I do. Which caused me to wonder ihow other GMs use contacts. I know I'm well into the extreme when it comes to how often they come up. Generally tracking down contacts, figuring out if anyone has any that will help, acquiring new ones if not, meeting with said contacts, negotiating for what you need from them, and then actually coming threw with it takes as long if not longer then the actual shadowrun itself.

Generally my players like a lot more character interaction up front because they know almost always they're going to get a good fun gun battle sometime during the session. So what's the Dumpshock consensus? Do most limit contact use? Or perhaps simplify or skip the negotiations and availability checks to get to the 'fun' stuff?
Kesslan
It depends on your GM but I find alot skip stuff like NPC to PC interaction and thus your contact often boils down to a few dice rolls and some info (or lack thereof) derived from said dice rolls.

Its alot of work to do, so I think GMs that really go indepth with that sort of thing are a little on the rare side. Or at least thats been my own experience.
Kagetenshi
Not often enough.

~J
eidolon
Contacts are incredibly important in my games, as they pretty much drive the "real" story. I like to run pc-centric games, so while there might be a meta-plot and runs that are driving it forward, the characters' lives are equally (if not more) important.

Also, in my games they aren't always (in fact are almost never) "contacts" in the sense that a character would always say "I gotta go see if my contact knows anything about this". I ask my players for a little bit of information, such as
- What does this person do?
- Do you have a name in mind?
- How did you meet this person?
- Do you have any ideas for how your relationship with this person works?

If they have that stuff, I take it and incorporate it (or at least some of it) into the contact, and then finish fleshing the contact out. I generally get this stuff during a character creation session, as I like to get together and do that the first day of a new game. Then I'll spend some time in between then and the first real session of play to finish out contact lists, deciding things like actual loyalties, the contact's real feelings about the PC, etc. The contact level and such are guides that I use to flesh them out as people, rather than sheer numeric representations of how much cash the player spent getting them.

During the game, PC-contact and even contact-contact relationships drive major portions of the story. Also, once play starts, characters pick up new "contacts" the same way you or I would. Meet someone, have a conversation, find out that the person is interesting (or might be of some help in something you're doing), exchange contact information, and follow up. Needless to say, contact lists can get pretty long in my games.

Sorry for rambling. Good use of NPCs is one of my focal points in GMing.
ronin3338
Contacts come up in nearly every game, but they aren't integral to my games.

We do like to RP the interaction, and I try to give each contact some flavor to make them interesting. My players tend to have several contacts, but one or 2 that they go to a lot, so I give those a little more depth.
Pendaric
My players like to roleplay the interaction as the contacts are friends and business associates. It allows them to try and judge if they are being screwed over and by who.
Because certain contacts are considered friends they actually came to the rescue when those friends where in danger, hence driving plot.
Rajaat99
Contacts are used in every single gaming session.
They need a ride from the cabbie contact, they buy medical supplies from their street doc, they go visit their bartender contact to hear the word on the street, etc...
Moirdryd
Contacts come up regular and are roleplayed based of a few notes I keep on each of them. If a contact matures through gameplay so does the data for the contact and so on. Most starting level one contacts are given name, a few key decsriptors, a stat line and nothimg much more. Level 2 - 3 contacts get a few lines of back story, maybe a paragraph or two. Any level of contact that re-occurs sufficiently (eg, at least once every couple of sessions for more than a few minutes) gets a character write up. But each one is made to be a unique char in its ownright form the getgo and my pklayers love to interact with the crowd of mixed faces they share between them.
Fix-it
contacts are half the battle in shadowrun.
dog_xinu
players can not say "I call contact <blah> and get info on <blah>..." I make them roleplay it out. The ones that RP it well get extra dice to see what the contact can do for them.

Remember the game is all about roleplaying..

dog
FlakJacket
On a slightly related topic, how often have peoples characters had one of their contacts approach them for information on a subject, or for help in a personal matter?
cetiah
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jan 27 2007, 09:43 PM)
On a slightly related topic, how often have peoples characters had one of their contacts approach them for information on a subject, or for help in a personal matter?

My first run was a solo op with a street ninja.
The Johnson contacted him directly and gave him an address to a Downtown temporary office-rental complex. My player was expecting one of those ciggarette smoking Johnsons from the pictures in SR3, but what he got was a pair of dweebs I referred to as Johnson and Johnson. This is the first time they'd ever been involved in Shadow-affairs and you could kind of tell. There was also an amusing little problem that came up in that we had to have a translator come in and translate between them because my street sam only spoke Spanish. After the deal, there was still some confusion on what should be done with the translator. Apparently Johnson & Johnson assumed that the street ninja would take care of it as part of the service, but amusingly enough, they got some kind of reply like "I don't kill people." and the Johnsons were like "Well, we're not going to do it." Except the word 'kill' was never used, of course, which led to all kinds of funny metaphors, especially when some stuff was mistranslated.

Anyway... the point is...

The Johnsons were given the name of this street ninja by his contact, a Fixer. Apparently they made a deal with her to smuggle in something from Hong Kong, but the Fixer's plans went south and now she's stuck in a Lone Star cell and the boat is being held up in port until inspectors arrive. Janet (the Fixer) assured them that the deal could still go through solid if they could get in touch with this guy she knows; that's all an unfortunate kink but she's got him as a backup plan. So my player was already to go for it, and then he brings up the subject of payment...

"What do you mean? The jobs already been paid for. We paid Janet a lot of money up front."
"Well no one paid me. This is a seperate job. I'm still waiting to hear your opening price."
"We have paid a substantial amount of money for this job already. We're are not paying more. You will have to discuss the matter of your fee with your employer."
"You're my employer."
"No, we are contacting you on behalf of Janet because our job still needs to be done... tonight. Or the arrangement between Janet and our client is forfeit."
"Well that's not my problem. I need to get paid."
"You can discuss the matter with Janet."
"But Janet's in a cell. We can't get ahold of her. Can you?"
"No."
"Then how do I arrange to get paid?"
"That's not our concern."
"Then I won't do the job."

At this point one Johnson turns to the other,
"That's unfortunate. We will have to inform our contacts in Hong Kong that miss Janet has stolen their money and forfeited the contract."
"Yes, and allowed their merchandise to be confiscated."
"Most unfortunate."
"They will not be pleased."

Eventually, the Street Ninja accepted the deal, but got them to offer some payment up front. The payment was a used cyberhand with built-in recoil compensation. I thought this would be awesome prize for a street sam since he didn't have one, but my player just got this disgusted look on his face, looked at his record sheet, and said "I don't have enough essence for that." Which sucks! I was going to use that to make use of his other contact, one of those funny medics that install illegal cyberwear in people. I had some ideas for that encounter, too. But he was like, "eh, maybe I can sell it." The idea that a cool piece of cyberwear made a lousy gift to a cybercombatant really sucks and has made me hate the essence rules.

Anyway...
The bottom line was that the street ninja accepted the deal, not knowing if he would get paid any additional money or not by Janet. That morning, port inspectors inspected the ship but found nothing. No one was killed on the run, although one of the Lone Star drones has turned up missing. A few days later, Janet was released from jail since they had no charges to press on her now. She paid a small sum of money (about 10,000) to the street ninja and helped fence the used hand. Also, as a seperate reward, I raised the player's Fixer contact Loyalty by 1, and I gave him a new contact "Johnson & Johnson" with Connection 3 and Loyalty 1. That has led to additional smuggling-related jobs.
Thane36425
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

I used that a few times as a Gm. If the characters needed a simple job, I'd have a contact call them up and ask for help with something fairly minor, like handling the gangers that have been shaking down their store. Of course sometimes that turned into something much bigger, like during the build up to Bug City, the team was asked to find a friend's child who had run off. They got to her before the UB could get her into the hive so the characters only faced some really wierd spirits and dudes with strange cyberware (or so they thought). They never did see the hive or the reality behind the situation, but it did get them to Chicago in time for the big show.

I've also had contacts call the PC for information. This usually involved the PC in something bigger than expected for whatever reason. One example was the mage character asked about some material from Amazonia and talismonger friend was about to try to refine, because the PC had spent time there. It was literally not goods and the retrieval crew came after the mage too clean up loose ends.

Things like this shouldn't be over done though or the players will get leery of taking calls from the contacts.
cetiah
I'm trying to also re-inforce this concept that everyone has family. For example, I offer a small discount (1 BP) on contacts if they are family members. It's so much easier to justify contact-drama when family gets involved. biggrin.gif

For example, one time a player went to meet his fixer contact, Janet and some guy answered the door.
"Well? What do you want?"
"Uuughhh. Is Janet here?"
"No."
"Uuughhh. Janet lives here, right?"
"Who the hell are you?"
"I'm a friend. Who the hell are you?"
"I'm her brother."
"Janet has a brother?!"
"Of course Janet has a brother. WHY THE HELL DOES EVERYONE KEEP SAYING THAT?!"
"Uuughhh. No reason."
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (cetiah)
Eventually, the Street Ninja accepted the deal, but got them to offer some payment up front. The payment was a used cyberhand with built-in recoil compensation. I thought this would be awesome prize for a street sam since he didn't have one, but my player just got this disgusted look on his face, looked at his record sheet, and said "I don't have enough essence for that." Which sucks! I was going to use that to make use of his other contact, one of those funny medics that install illegal cyberwear in people. I had some ideas for that encounter, too. But he was like, "eh, maybe I can sell it." The idea that a cool piece of cyberwear made a lousy gift to a cybercombatant really sucks and has made me hate the essence rules.

Yeah. That does kinda suck - in fact, it blows big chunks, but them's the breaks. If you want to upgrade a Shadowrunner's cyber, you need to give him enough Alpha, Beta, or Deltaware to replace the cyber he has that it frees up an essense hole for the new item.

Or you could institute a method for the gaining of additional Essense. Since this has both Cyberware reprecussions for sammies and Magical implications for Adepts/Magicians, nobody should mind overmuch. Sure, Initiation can raise your Magic, but if you can buy additional Essense, you can drop Karma on additional Magic, too. They would naturally stack.

Or, of course, they could use the essense surplus to install up to and including as much Essense's worth of cyber as they have Essense above six.
Crakkerjakk
Then again I think it might stretch my believability quotient for the character to be like, "OK, lets chop my hand off." I always kind of figured that the people with cyberlimbs for the most part got em as replacements for ones they lost due to combat/accidents, not taking off a perfectly good meat limb. Then again, maybe I'm a 20th centuury prude and in the future it's no big deal.
Crusher Bob
Erm, plenty of people go up for laser surgery on thier eyes today. If instead, they chopped your eyes out and gave you better ones, I think people would still line up.
Blade
But if the eyes need surgery, then they aren't "perfectly good meat eyes".
eidolon
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

Quite often, actually. Again, I play NPCs as close to "real people" as I can. If somebody is on your contact list, can you really expect that you aren't on theirs?
Thane36425
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Erm, plenty of people go up for laser surgery on thier eyes today. If instead, they chopped your eyes out and gave you better ones, I think people would still line up.

New eyes with perfect vision plus new things like sharper vision, zoom lenses and the ability to see in the dark, that would be a real temptation.
Kozbot
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

Hell yes. My PCs generally live or die by their contacts especially the group I've got now that's gotten closer to the 'end game' where each of them have around 20ish contacts. They've had a few contacts call them up and ask to be extracted, a few cops contacts call them up and ask them for help working on a case which resulted in them getting a few shadowruns from lonestar and all kinds of similar stuff. Sometimes I have contacts call and give them a tip or something so they can go to a fixer and see if there's any related work. I like letting my PCs set their own shadowruns to a certain degree and I find contacts as a great way of doing that.

I also pretty regularly have contacts just call up and ask for intel on the shadow scene or if the PCs just have some knowledge that will help them, the same way the PCs do to the contacts. I think it makes for a much more dynamic situation if your lone star contact calls you up from time to time to see what you've heard and so on.

I much more rarely have contacts call for help with personal matters, barring family members. For the most part no matter how cordial the relationship gets contacts understand that the PCs do horrible evil things for money and the PCs understand that if they make life difficult for their contacts at best they'll stop answering the phone at worst they'll turn over everything they know about the PC. While the corp secretary might let the runners crash at her place provided there is no heat directly on their tails she'll be much more hesitant to call them up to help her move or find her lost cousin. Unless of course her cousin is rumored to be involved in the shadow scene. Which gives me a good idea for a run. Hmmm I'm going to go right some stuff up now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012