Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what are you rolling when deleting logs and such.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sunnyside
Against firewall? Opposed test?
FrankTrollman
Logs are deleted and modified with the Edit program. It's technically Edit + Computer. And the threshold is "set by the gamemaster" and can be done as an extended test. (SR4, p. 219)

---

Personally, I think that's crap. I would make it something more like this:

Opposed test of Logic + Computer (max hits equal Edit + 1) against System. If you succeed, you edit the datatrail, and your net hits are the threshold required to notice the change. The node's firewall makes an immediate roll to find th discrepency, and alarms go off if it does.

-Frank
Konsaki
Depends on if it is a legal action or not. If you dont hack in at Admin level, then it's a Hacking + Edit test with a Hacking + Stealth Vs Firewall + Analize to see if the system 'sees' you doing the illegal action of deleting security logs or whatnot.
If you have an Admin Level access, then it's just a Computer + Edit test because what you are doing is perfectly legal.
cetiah

SR4 p225, under "Hackers and Editing" mentions that deleting logs is a Hacking + Edit, using the Edit program. The Edit program description says it is used for Edit Tests and the Edit Tests section refers to a "gamemaster-determined threshold".

I would use "1" or half the Firewall as a guideline, but that's just me. I think deleting logs should be a fairly common and easy task for a hacker (or his agent).

Technically, however, the act of deleting a log leaves a log behind. It might be better to crash the OS.
Konsaki
@Frank

That threshold, IMO, should be determined by the ammount of illegal actions + half the ammount of legal actions you performed in the server. Then each hit on the test reduces the logs by one.
All things considered, you are only taking maybe 3 seconds out of your life to perform this action. In truth, you dont even really need to erase your log data unless you want your actions to be truly unknown. You could always just spoof your commcode once you left the node and there is little they could do to you.
Serbitar
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 28 2007, 01:44 AM)
Against firewall?  Opposed test?

Depends on what logs, depends on what ruleset (offical?), depends on your GM.

If you are interested in my interpretation:

QUOTE (sgm 1.1)

Deleting logs
Legal: Logic + Computer [Edit] (1, 1 turn)
Illegal: Logic + Hacking [Edit] (1, 1 turn)
Description: To erase all the traces of the hacking
activities one has left in the node, the log files
must be edited. Every hit deletes ”edit program
rating” hits worth of traces left behind.
If traces are left behind, a security hacker can
find out that the system was hacked and what
AID was used in the process.

The test is resisted by System+Firewall if it is done illegaly.
sunnyside
I notice two people have different methods for having the system resist. Is there actually a rule for it? That's really the issue. What happens when you want to erase something you shouldn't be at your user level.
Konsaki
If it's an illegal action you have to roll Hacking + 'X', with X being the program required for the task.
The system which the illegal activity is taking place on gets to roll Firewall + Analize against the hacker's Hacking + Stealth dicepool to see if the system notices the illegal action.
Jaid
QUOTE (sunnyside)
I notice two people have different methods for having the system resist. Is there actually a rule for it? That's really the issue. What happens when you want to erase something you shouldn't be at your user level.

well, the only major difference between having authorisation and not is whether you use hacking skill or computer skill, really, and that the node has a chance to detect if you hack it.
Serbitar
QUOTE (sunnyside)

No, no overall rule for this. In RAW, different attributes are used for differnt resists.
cetiah
Near as I can tell there is no resistance unless the GM wants to set a threshold. If you score hits on a Hacking+Edit test, the logs are deleted.

Like I said before, deleting logs is mentioned in "Hacking and Editing" which refers to using Hacking + Edit but mentions no threshold. The Edit program mentions nothing about it except that its used for Edit Tests. The section on Edit Tests says to use a GM-determined threshold.
sunnyside
QUOTE (cetiah)
Near as I can tell there is no resistance unless the GM wants to set a threshold. If you score hits on a Hacking+Edit test, the logs are deleted.

Like I said before, deleting logs is mentioned in "Hacking and Editing" which refers to using Hacking + Edit but mentions no threshold. The Edit program mentions nothing about it except that its used for Edit Tests. The section on Edit Tests says to use a GM-determined threshold.

Ok so I wasn't missing something. That's all there is.

However the rest of you do the opposed test stuff as a house rule because, really, it just makes more sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012