Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was Hand Of God new to Shadowrun 3?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Brahm
What the Title and Description asks.
ElFenrir
I recall it being in SR2...i think it was in the old SR2 companion somewhere...dont think it was in the actual book, though, but i could be wrong and my old brain might be rusty. wink.gif

As for SR1, i do not rememeber at all, as i never really played one, ive thumbed through the old book and had a few of the supplements(old grimoire, old SSC, Shadowtech, Rigger BB).
Naysayer
2nd edition introduced the Hand of God in the Companion, I am fairly certain.
There might even have been some similar concept in the corebook, using karma to escape certain death, just without the fancy name.

1stEd had nothing of the kind. Dammit, back then, we had no rules for anything! Didn't need'em! We had a cool blue book, some d6, and then we were tossed out there, into the darkness.
Crusher Bob
From what I remember, it was introduced in the SR2 companion, since that was also where they introduced adept social powers; I remember checking the skill web to see how far etiquette was from firearms since adepts could now get 30 dice for etiquette and in SR2 you could default from etiquette to firearms. grinbig.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
From what I remember, it was introduced in the SR2 companion, since that was also where they introduced adept social powers; I remember checking the skill web to see how far etiquette was from firearms since adepts could now get 30 dice for etiquette and in SR2 you could default from etiquette to firearms. grinbig.gif

"Excuse me, sir, I need to buy some medkits."

"Uhh, you don't look like a clinician. I'm only allowed to sell them to clinicans who work at the hospital."

*pause*

*ca-click!*

"Right, here are your medkits."
hyzmarca
Wouldn't that be defaulting from firearms to etiquette?
mfb
yeah, firearms to etiquette would be: "Terribly sorry, old boy, but I wonder if I couldn't trouble you to stand right there--yes, directly in front of the barrel of my weapon. Impolite of me to ask, I know, but could I impose just the same? Smashing!"
Herald of Verjigorm
The other way would be more like:

"Excuse me my good man, could you help me with something?"

"What?"

*blam*

"That."

Though I like using fast talk as the starter skill.

scene: a small firefight.

"Ah Drek! You guys called for heavy reinforcements!"

"What? No we haven't."

"Then who is that who just pulled up?"

"What? I don't see any-"*blam*

"Well, I was sure I saw something, maybe it was just an opportunity."
Thain
My group was (and is) stupidly fond of the fact that everything could eventually default to Parazoology. grinbig.gif

We still routinly make characters with Parazoology 4+... even in SR4... just out of habit.

"Ah yes. The Phascolarctos cinereus vampiricus, a thickset arboreal marsupial carnivore native to Australia... Quaitnly called a 'Drop Bear'. has a mating call very similar to the tonal frequence you hear here. Thus, I thick if I change the pitch a little... more like P. cinereus cinereus." (Voice recgonition lock clicks open) "Very good."
Herald of Verjigorm
I must need a bigger skill web. The one on the SR2 GM screen doesn't include parazoology and has some skills severed completely from the rest.
Kagetenshi
You do need a bigger skill web. Just yesterday I defaulted all the way to Ability to Deal with Aliens.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
This one is a little more comprehensive. The unidirectional paths make it so that you need two points. I suggest Reaction and Enchanting.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (mfb)
yeah, firearms to etiquette would be: "Terribly sorry, old boy, but I wonder if I couldn't trouble you to stand right there--yes, directly in front of the barrel of my weapon. Impolite of me to ask, I know, but could I impose just the same? Smashing!"

Heh, maybe using Etiquette to shoot someone is using a kiai.

Situation with no Etiquete skill and Pistols 0:

Protagonist holds handgun sideways and fires while jerking wrist like he saw in them movies. He fails to hit antagonist who has ducked behind cover.

Situation with 15 Etiquette skill and Pistols 0:

Protagonist screams in such a loud and intimidating manner that antagonist flinches in confusion, giving protagonist time to walk up to antagonist and unload into him with same crap technique from 1 foot away.
Kagetenshi
You know, it would be awesome if we could default from, say, Body. "My mastery of underwater combat lets me soak damage better!"

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
You know, it would be awesome if we could default from, say, Body. "My mastery of underwater combat lets me soak damage better!"

~J

You pour wata into a cup, it becomes the cup; you pour wata into a teapot it becomes the teapot.  Be wata, my friend.

-Bruce Lee

So, you see, your understanding of the nature of water as it relates to combat lets you contract while your opponent expands ™ and then before you know it when there is an opening you do not hit BUT IT HITS ALL BY ITSELF. ™
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012