Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Wireless world is HERE!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spike
On the news this morning I watched as a billboard said hi to the driver of a car passing by. The driver of a mini-cooper convertible was greeted by name by a Mini billboard, which even knew he was in a convertible.

Sure, it was a publicity stunt, but the technology is real and it's coming to you.

Directed advertising, wireless communication between two dedicated nodes, perceived value to gain and retain customers?

All we need now is altered reality and Hot Sim rig VR...
hobgoblin
hmm, could it be a camera thats able to read and search licence plates?

i know that cars in USA is becoming like second homes, but still...
Spike
No, it's a wireless device. They were waving around a little black box about the size of a key fob, which I suspect it was actually, on the news as part of the story.

Of course, reading license plates and searching a database is still pretty much shadowrun stuff, just slightly different in applications. Paranoid much? biggrin.gif
Demerzel
QUOTE (Spike)
Of course, reading license plates and searching a database is still pretty much shadowrun stuff, just slightly different in applications. Paranoid much? biggrin.gif

It not very far off actually. In fact it's been around. A technology called RSD (Remote Sensing Devices) is used by some air districts and some states as a part of their inspection and maintinance (I/M) programs. For example as an alternative ot supplimental to the smog check program in California.

The way it works is it uses light spectra outside of the visible bands and determines concentrations of the pollutants we are concerned with, then takes a snapshot of the licenceplate and digitizes it for inclusion in a database.

US-EPA has a little infosheet available here.

Enjoy your new level of paranioa!
2bit
Advertisements that know my name! Finally I can feel like I have friends! smile.gif

I'm so lonely. . .
eidolon
The first time that happened to me, I'd drive the car back to the dealership and up somebody's ass.
hobgoblin
even if every car is required by law to be so equiped?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
even if every car is required by law to be so equiped?

...In that case, I'd take out the billboard.
Butterblume
The german Toll Collect system to, well, collect tolls on the autobahn could easily be used for this. Right now only trucks have to pay (but who are we kidding, a way to make money? Bring it on, the gouvernment will say. They only need to figure out a way to not loose voters in the process). Another big issue would be protection of privacy laws, but those are already watered down in the name of the war against terror.

That Toll Collect system works with infrared, though, which is technically wireless but not in the traditional sense wink.gif.

Yeah, the technology exists.
(alltough my example isn't accurate in every detail, but who cares cyber.gif)
Spike
Actually, A similar system is in use on the American Interstate system, namely the 'weigh in motion' for large cargo trucks. The tractor cab has a device that communicates the pertinant information to the weigh station, which makes the decision on wether or not to send a signal to the driver to cause him to pull over for an inspection. Meanwhile, as the vehicle is still moving the sensors in the road (I assume) measure the vehicles ground weight to verify they aren't overloaded and assess the fine if they are. Again, I assume the fine is handled 'automatically'... thankfully I don't have to deal with it personally. grinbig.gif
Moto42 Again
Automated, on-the-spot taxation devices like that are great for the government. The people are trained not to argue with the system, and even if the system that dispensed the ticket is proven faulty, you are still required to pay the fine in many areas.
(You do have the right to fight the ticket in court. This option is more expensive than paying the fine 90% of the time and you will be presumed guilty. I have also heard rumor of people going to court to plead their case, only to be met in the court-room by 15 to 20 other people who also wish to have their day in court, and a videotape of a judge, who gives a speach about civic duties and how traffic-laws are for everyone, and then pronounces them guilty.)

hobgoblin
here in norway they are now standardizing toll booth tags (those radio/RFID devices that allow you to just drive past) so that you can be billed at any of them without having 101 of these devices.

as there is a road tax in this contry, the political right wing is airing the idea of having a tag reader ever so often along all roads so that your only taxed for the distances of road that you actually use rather then flat as it is right now.

already toll both logs are being used to see where a suspects car was at the time of a crime...

did anyone say potential big brother?
Crakkerjakk
The LAPD is currently field testing a system where their patrol car's dashboard cameras record every plate number they drive by and check them against stolen car records. With two patrol cars in the program, they went from recovering 2 cars a month to 78 over the three months of the trial program. Apparently they later go back and check the registered owners of the plates against people with outstanding warrants to get an idea of where to hang out to nab people, too. Heard about it on NPR.
TCArknight
An for those of you who don't think the World of SR will arrive anytime soon.... here's a tidbit to prove you wrong... smile.gif

Augmented Reality - http://www.t-immersion.com/home.asp

TC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012