Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building my SR fiction for Creative Writing class.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Here's the character sketch I made of the main character. The fact that he doesn't say his name for the entirety of the whole narrative is deliberate.
[ Spoiler ]
Spike
There is a harsh jump between the first two paragraphs. Is he in some room waking up, or at the office dealing with mage nerds?

Also, since your audience isn't familiar with Shadowrun specifically, you could just call Renraku ' The Company' or something, which might smooth the narrative some.

Other than that it seemed interesting. I'll have to read the entire thing later... like the nameless character, I'm goofing off at work grinbig.gif
emo samurai
This is only an exercise in building this character for a 30 page story I'm making.
cetiah

It's a cool story, and there's a definite characterisation arc. But there's some questions I want you to consider. 1) What is this character's greatest challenge? 2) Why is it a challenge? 3) How is the character changed after going through this challenge?

Every scene should focus on the answer to these questions; and in fact have their own answers or different ways of illustrating the same answer.

I have some proofreading recommendations if you want them. I've done a lot of proofreading before, so it's kind of habit. Not everyone is looking for that sort of thing though, so I don't want to offend you or for you to think I'm belittling you by nitpicking every damn little thing. I just think you're teacher is likely to do that, and there are certain rules and styles that score better grades for academic readers.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Spike
Cetiah is obviously more detailed than I would be. I'll tell you the overall feel is sort of squashed together, hard to get what's going on in places. It's a pacing issue really. Watch your proper nouns, they get repetetive and irritating if repeated too rapidly.

On the other hand, it does sort of grip you. I mean, you can understand this guy, feel him. That's damn good.
Kenshi
Well done, Emo.

You definitely get a sense of the character in this sketch. I liked the juxtaposition of apathy he shows in the lab during the "big secret experiment" against the wonder he feels from the simple illusion spell. I liked it a lot.
emo samurai
Okay, here's my story with the corrections you told me I should get. I pretty much agree with them; my main character's not the type to use run-on sentences.
[ Spoiler ]
Trigger
Emo, I really enjoyed reading this piece....+1 karma for you.
emo samurai
You'll love my completed story. It'll be 30 pages double-spaced, and in paper form, its gravity will draw the moon into the ground.

And it's not exactly a simple illusion if he can make the kids eating cloudy cotton candy.

The reason he doesn't use illusions anymore is because he always starts thinking about his unfulfilled and unfufillable dreams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012