Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Food, er, wine, for thought
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JRDobbs
And they say there's nothing exciting to steal these days...

This article strikes me as a perfect setup for a run. (Although, in the SR world, one of the bottles would contain a more potent "spirit" as a theft deterent).
fistandantilus4.0
nice. Good for those runners that have "run it all".
eidolon
Cool. *files away for the eventual next game*
Backgammon
Yup, definatly putting that in my bag o'run ideas
Snow_Fox
ooo the thought. was it someone who knew what they wanted, or professionals sent by the someone?
Are they drinking it themselves or storing it as an investment. That's the great stuff about fine wines. they could be treated as loot like a painting or statue or they can be consumed.
Shockwave_IIc
Seems to be something straight out of GitS SAC 2nd Gig
Draug
Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

Anyone have any ideas for other stuff that could be considered valuables in 2070? Aside from art, rare musical instruments, and precious metals, that is...
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Seems to be something straight out of GitS SAC 2nd Gig

that was first season and I must admitt I thought of that episode too when I first read this.
Kyoto Kid
...count this going in my campaign LBB for future run hooks as well.

Vintage wine, aged spirits (the drinkable kind), real (natural) food, and even rare coffee (like Jamaican Blue Mountain which is somewhere around $30 a pound today) could be hot commodities considering most everything sold for mass consumption is made from soy or synthahol.
Mr. Man
Those of you noting this for use in a game should really check out the GitS:SAC episode (s1e17). A quote:
[The Wine Fund] is an "asset management" system where wine is purchased and then held in an investor's name.  Since it is hard to duplicate or reproduce the natural taste and aroma of wine, many investors speculate in this Wine Fund.  The more years that pass, the more valuable vintage wines become.  It's called a secure commodity.

It is revealed that the mafia is laundering money through the Fund. Shortly after that a couple of ex-mob guys (insert your runners here) try to steal the wine, only to find out that the mob runs a lot more than they thought...
Snow_Fox
I'm a wine geeks and an investment professional. The money laundering owuld be easy to do since the price can vary but i would NEVER recommned investing in wine.

The one problem with this as a plan, based on individual bottles rather than vintages from vinyards, is that the wine and peak and lose value. only the very best wines can be kept indeffinately. It's estimated the average bottle of turning leaf or Kendell-Jackson, for example, is at it's best after 5 years and after that goes down.
Personally I'm experimenting on aging some Turning Leaf in my cellar. Usually i don't like Cabernet Sauvignon unless it's very expensive. cheaper one tend to have too much tannin for my taste, I stick to australian shiraz and california merlot for full bodied reds, but I've been saving up cheaper wines in the hope that 10 years orf aging will cut the tannins.

Even good wines, the great bordeauxs and sauternes have a life of years but if not properly stored can go off. For example if it gets too hot and cooks. or if it 'corks' that is the bottle is not stored on it's side. The cork dries out and allows air to seep in affecting the wine.
go there and you watch you fund turn into incredibly expensive vinegar.
eidolon
I hear wine geeks sneer at them, but there's a nifty magnet device thing that fits over the neck of a wine bottle and speed-smooths the tannins as you pour. Sharper Image carries it. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

I'm with you on the Australian Shiraz though. In fact, a wine geek would probably laugh at my favorite. Just a guess.

Signed, beer geek. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
Let me know how that works. I'm not sure I'd 'sneer' but something that has that much of a chemical change over the wine by just pouring seems wrong.

To drift into wine geekdome but keep it in game terms.

I prefer Australian Shiraz to French Syrah (terrible for a girl of french parents to say) with food. The freench grape is more ponderous winey ness that gets in the way of the flavor, the australian delivers more of a fruity flavor, for what are the same grape grown in differtnt areas.

This is an element for runs that most poeple haven't thought about terroir. Let me give you real examples:
For the longest time Pinot Noir could not thrive anywhere except Burgundy France. It wasn't until someone in Oregon figured it out that you got decent Pinot noirs outside of France.

French wines are named for where they were made, American/Australian wines are named for the grapes used. So a French Merlot (grape) or a California Chablis or Burgundy(place) should be avoided since they are not required to follow their home nation's stirngent naming laws.

The most famous case of this is Champaigne- which under french law must come form the champaigne region around Epernay, France. Under french law anything else is sparkling wine. That applies to sparkling wine made elsewhere in france, no matter how good it is. The US has no such laws so they have no problem with Korbel calling itself champaigne even though it's made in California.

Pennsylvania, where I live keeps strict control over sales of booze except for Pennsylvania vinyards. They can make sales and have their own distribution shops (Chadds Ford- ah) as long as 70% of the grapes they use are grown in Pennsylvania too.

How are these runs? Suppose there's a run for trade secrets? How do you get pinot noir to grow somewhere else? Stop it and make sure it fails so we keep control. Extract the wine maker. Sabotage a crop to increase value of an existing crop or failure of osmeone-or both. For info using my examples of Pennsylvania or France- find out if, or plant false evidence that, the grapes being used by someone are not from the particular area OR maybe hide the fact that the wine you're selling is from somewhere else. Most Champagne is made from Chardonay grapes. under french law those grapes must be from around Epernay to be called Champaigne. That makes those fields valuable. Suppose you have wonderful chardonay vines in the Rhone valley but want the prestiege of calling them Champaigne? Gotta hide where it came from.

New york makes a lot of wine and most of it is crap, but the state is recognized with doing serrious research and development of vines and technics. treat that as any corporate research facility.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012