Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL news - marathon swimmer plans to swim amazon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PBTHHHHT
So some bloke wants to swim the length of the Amazon. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6319909.stm
There's dangers already in real life, but can you imagine in the Sixth World? Maybe he could get permission from Amazonia to do it, but then there's still the dangers from the local fauna. I can see runners being hired to help provide security, hope they know how to swim. Or maybe they're placed in the support staff for other reasons? Any rival factions out there who want to sabotage the event?

eidolon
I wonder if there are awakened piranha statted out anywhere? Can't remember any fishy critters in any of the source books, but I might just be forgetting. It has been forever since I read Paranormal Animals of X.
mfb
wow. that dude is going to die.
Herald of Verjigorm
More than 45 people, including doctors and trainers, will accompany him through Peru and Brazil.

25 of them will be tossing heavy explosives into the river in front of him to kill anything that might be there. 10 will be doing the same after he passes in case anything is coming from behind. 3 are medics and the other 7 are just there to pull the carts of anti-venoms.

The "more than" part is a reference to 300 "meat shields" who will be thrown at any predators the group manages to attract.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (eidolon)
I wonder if there are awakened piranha statted out anywhere? Can't remember any fishy critters in any of the source books, but I might just be forgetting. It has been forever since I read Paranormal Animals of X.

Well there's the abrams lobster, but i don't think that's reaslly relevant, except maybe to feed the crew.

All I can recall of amazon critters suggested from SoTF was behemtohs, wyverns, and shapechangers.

Honestly though, I'm with mfb on this one. Make it into a shadowrun game, and you'll have a whole lot of people that are going to die. After all, I'm sure Sirrug watches the news from time to time, , and gets bored.
mfb
there were those awakened spiders from that one published run. the swimmer will probably be the only one who doesn't have to worry about those.
Jame J
QUOTE (eidolon)

I dunno about Awakened pirhanas, but I think there's something in Predator and Prey.

If you can find it!
fistandantilus4.0
yeah, the spiders
Kagetenshi
They'll have to watch out for Qural'lotectica, too.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
HAHAHA! I almost killed my wife's character with one of those the other day!

( I can't believe you spelled that right, I had to look it up!)
PBTHHHHT
Well, the guy made the swim down the Amazon. Probably would not have made it in the Sixth World, unless he has a lot of karma/edge to burn. Heh.
hyzmarca
Screw piranhas. Nothing is scarier than awakened candiru.
Kagetenshi
I think those are really Horror constructs, not paracritters.

~J
Thane36425
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Well, the guy made the swim down the Amazon. Probably would not have made it in the Sixth World, unless he has a lot of karma/edge to burn. Heh.

Or a strong Spirit with Concealment.
PBTHHHHT
that too.

heh, I wonder if it's considered cheating to have a spirit with movement aid him along the river?
Fix-it
I wouldn't even be worried about the paracritters. I'd be worried about the Things You Aren't Supposed To See that the Amazonian govt is doing.
PBTHHHHT
this is assuming he got permission by the Amazonian gov't to attempt this stunt. If he's doing it without their permission. Dang, his survivability rating just plummeted... heh, the gambling sites would love this, some might even hire runners for him to either succeed or not...
Thane36425
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
this is assuming he got permission by the Amazonian gov't to attempt this stunt. If he's doing it without their permission. Dang, his survivability rating just plummeted... heh, the gambling sites would love this, some might even hire runners for him to either succeed or not...

He could get permission, but it would probably be a nightmare. You are supposed to be able to get permits for things like hunting Wyrd Manti (a 5,000 Nuyen bounty on them at one point), but the red tape was terrible. Add to that corrupt border guards and the various critters you aren't suppose even think about harming, like Nagas, and it gets very interesting.

As for the Movement power, I don't think they would count it against him if he used it to get away from an attack. Besides, talk about a cool video: the swimmer pulling 30 knots with a pissed off Behomoth in hot pursuit.
mmu1
Interesting story, but questionable as far as run inspiration, in my opinion - unless you simply wanted to use it as the setup, and then take this off on a tangent.

I mean, it's not as if anyone would actually want to play a run consisting of watching a guy swim for 66 days - even with paracritters thrown into the mix.

Hell, I've found in a couple of games I ran that doing a 3 day trek through a jungle takes a huge amount of work if you want to make it interesting, and not just several hours of "You plod through the undergrowth. You're attacked by animals. You plod some more. One of you falls into a nest of poisonous insects. You plod yet again. You're attacked by some more animals."

On the other hand, if you were, for example, hired by the guy's family to find out why he disappeared on day 34 right from under the noses of his support team, then that could be pretty interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012