Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL - the only thing scarier than Hell's Angels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mfb
apparently, the NYPD doesn't like going up against the Hell's Angels, not because they're dangerous (though the siege in the article indicates they are), but because they've got a stable of high-priced lawyers who have cost the city more than $800,000 for illegally raiding the Angel's headquarters.

i like this as a partial explanation for why gangs like the Ancients sit on top of the world. they've made it big, and they can stay big because anyone who tries to take them down has to weigh the threat of being sued by hired Tir lawyers.
Lindt
Well you have to think, with the current market price of a REAL harley running well past 30k, these arnt a bunch of broke thugs anymore. I'd wager that there are some pretty impressive diplomas in that building.
Backgammon
Well, Bikers have an interesting hierarchy system. The typical image of the thug biker, those guys are the lowly flunkies, They aren't the ones with big lawyers and stuff, they are just foot soldiers. Bikers use the system of Patches. The highest level, a Full Patched, is really a very rich criminal overlord in his own right. They have their own territories from which they get a slice of the pie (mostly drugs). They're the ones with the high-paid lawyers. They continue to have the look of a bum, but they are rich guys, who don't personally get their hands dirty much.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Well, Bikers have an interesting hierarchy system. The typical image of the thug biker, those guys are the lowly flunkies, They aren't the ones with big lawyers and stuff, they are just foot soldiers. Bikers use the system of Patches. The highest level, a Full Patched, is really a very rich criminal overlord in his own right. They have their own territories from which they get a slice of the pie (mostly drugs). They're the ones with the high-paid lawyers. They continue to have the look of a bum, but they are rich guys, who don't personally get their hands dirty much.

!!!
Wow.
All the bikers I've known were just, y'know, guys who like to ride motorcycles.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Backgammon)

Where'd you learn that? I'm not questioning the validity of what you're saying, I just want to read whatever it is you're reading.
Backgammon
Montreal had a big biker war about 10 years back. That got the public's attention. Even today, the bikers make the news often, when they get arrested and whatnot. There's been a few TV series, books, and newspaper articles. So it's just knowledge I sorta picked up over time.

For example, there was this great article one day that an undercover journalist wrote about how the Hell's Angels paid differant amounts of money for Banditos killed. Like, a flunky was 1 grand, but if you offed a Full Patch, they paid you 250k. No questions asked. They said that if you claimed the kill, they gave you the money, because if they found out the guy you said you'd killed was still alive,you wouldn't live to enjoy that money.

Nowadays, in Montreal, the bikers have been arrested to near extinction. So much so that now, since the mafia never really had that much influence over here to begin with, street gangs are now filling the power vacuum and are the next big problem all the media talk about. Which IMO is worst, since the bikers were more professional and didn't really mess with Joe Public (well, Joe Publique here wink.gif), while your average haitian ganger won't really think twice about knifing you if you look at him funny.
Yoan
QUOTE (emo samurai)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Feb 2 2007, 11:25 AM)

Where'd you learn that? I'm not questioning the validity of what you're saying, I just want to read whatever it is you're reading.

Aye, everything he said rang true word for word. It's fairly big in Canada, especially in our part of it ie: Quebec, Montreal, etc...
PBTHHHHT
I still remember reading that one news blurb of the biker wars in Scandinavia, one biker gang attacked another group's place using weapons including a rocket launcher(?). I think that was the weapon because it just stood out to me and why I wanted to commit that little news to memory, I was thinking, daaaannng. smile.gif
Grinder
Yeah, that was some years ago when the Hell's Angels fought with the Bandidos.
Draug
What country? What city? What year?

I'm a Scand, but I was a kid until very recently... nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
Uh... Denmark/ Copenhagen (I'm sure about that) and some parts of Sweden and/ or Norway.
hyzmarca
The Hell's Angels' reputation for violence, while not totally undeserved, is rather overhyped. Most of them are nice and easygoing guys.

In fact, the same can be true for most bikers, who, due to the passage of time and a drop in popularity amongst youth, are mostly middle aged and elderly fellows who happen to enjoy riding and who may or may not have watched Easy Rider too many times.
Sir_Psycho
Some guys at my old school were general macho pricks who caused little amounts of trouble and showed off the phones and trainers their parents bought them, anyway, occasionally there would be some bashings or fights, with occasional weapons and etc. (remember this is australia) One day they apparently had a go at some guys riding past on their harleys, and the bikers looped around, followed them into a backstreet on their bikes, and pulled out sawed off shotguns from their saddle-bags. Those guys shat themselves, because in australia most of us rarely ever see guns except on the hips of cops and occasionally on farms.
Draug
See? Hell's Angels ain't all bad. wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The Hell's Angels' reputation for violence, while not totally undeserved, is rather overhyped. Most of them are nice and easygoing guys.

Yeah, like the half dozen Hells Angels here in Bremen, who beat up a tattoo artist I know, only because he said his honest opinion about a Hells Angels-affiliated tattoo artist.

Or the pack of HA in Hamburg who ran a big prostitution ring. There was a big process some years ago which brought a lot of nasty details to light (like regularly beating up the newbie-HA).

Great guys, really. ohplease.gif
killifish
The rocket attacks in Denmark was in the late 90s (96-97). In one instance they fired a rocket at a prison in an assasination attempt at one of the inmates. However bikers aren't too bright and the rocket didn't have time to arm before hitting the walls.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Lindt)
Well you have to think, with the current market price of a REAL harley running well past 30k, these arnt a bunch of broke thugs anymore. I'd wager that there are some pretty impressive diplomas in that building.

Depending upon your definition of "REAL" that's not quite true.

A new Sportster with some decent custom work is still under $20K.

But, yeah, if you're getting a Road King with nice trim, some custom work, and then putting a decent paint job on it, $30K is just a starting point. It's easy to drop well over $60K.

<-- Rides a Buell.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 3 2007, 02:42 AM)

Yeah, like the half dozen Hells Angels here in Bremen, who beat up a tattoo artist I know, only because he said his honest opinion about a Hells Angels-affiliated tattoo artist.

You can't judge a whole group by the actions of six, unless that group only has six members.
Every group is going to have its morons.

Unfortunatly, groups like the Hell's Angels attract more morons than most due to their reputations.
Backgammon
Well, there is a differance between bikers - lovers of choppers who gather and bike around - and criminal bikers, who are groups like the Hell's Angels, Bandidos, Nomads, etc, who are nothing less than organised criminal syndicates. Extortion, racketeering, drug and weapons dealing, etc.

It's pretty much the same as saying not all italians are mafia, but that doesn't mean there is no mafia.
underaneonhalo
Back in the 70's some journalist working for a motorcycle rag wrote an article about how not all members of motorcycle clubs are criminals, he went as far as saying that 99% of MC members were honest law abiding citizens. Well ever since then it's been popular for "outlaw" bikers to proudly sport a diamond shaped patch with a big 1% on it, another tell-tale sign is an inverted AMA patch, or a MC patch that is cut into pieces hence the term "full patch member". The majority of MC's are made up of law abiding citizens, hell, the only 1% clubs I can think of off the top of my head are Pagans, bandidos, and the Outlaws. The Hell's Angels maintain that they are not a 1% club when in reality they just have enough muscle and lawyers to ensure that no one will say otherwise.

Yeah i'd agree that the ancients are like the Hells Angels, dirty enough to appeal to the disenfranchised youth but clean enough to stay out of prison.
Snow_Fox
The lawyer named in the article- Ronald Kuby is also a NY radio show host on WABC in the mornings. He is usually known as a civil rights attorney and represents the street gang , the Latin Kings. When asked if he would represent the Bloods or Crips, Kuby has said no, because they do not pay their bils. Apparenlty the Hell's Angels and Latin Kings set aside money to pay legal bills in advance.
Kagetenshi
More power to him. One of many groups that badly needs good legal defense is gangs (motorcycle or old-fashioned).

~J
Snow_Fox
Kuby is really cool. I've been on air on his show twice. His on air partner, Curtis Sliwa usually referes to me as a leftist freaky-deaky fruit loop- ironic if you know me. Kuby's radio show and well paying clients like the gangs allows him to put a lot of energy in to pro-bono civil rights work.
SL James
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 3 2007, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 3 2007, 03:29 AM)

You can't judge a whole group by the actions of six, unless that group only has six members.

And if you do, then for the love of God at least tell an anecdote with some panache, like the one about the Hell's Angels who beat a man to death at Altamont during a Stones concert.

Anyway, to be fair to mfb's SR-related point, the Ancients would hire UCAS lawyers. Tir defense lawyers are, quite frankly, useless.
emo samurai
Elven lawyers, of course. Preferably assets of Telestrian.
mfb
i figure there are UCAS lawyers and then there are UCAS lawyers. every nation in North America (and every mega with operations there) probably has a cadre of lawyers who specialize in every other nation (and mega's) laws. the lawyers the Ancients hire probably are citizens of the UCAS, in order to provide at least the illusion of distance from the Tir. but their true interests and loyalties likely lie in the Tir.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SL James)

And if you do, then for the love of God at least tell an anecdote with some panache, like the one about the Hell's Angels who beat a man to death at Altamont during a Stones concert.

It was a stabbing, and it illustrates one very good piece of advice that every Johnson should follow. Do not, under any circumstances, pay your freelancers with a large quantity of beer up front.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Some guys at my old school were general macho pricks who caused little amounts of trouble and showed off the phones and trainers their parents bought them, anyway, occasionally there would be some bashings or fights, with occasional weapons and etc. (remember this is australia) One day they apparently had a go at some guys riding past on their harleys, and the bikers looped around, followed them into a backstreet on their bikes, and pulled out sawed off shotguns from their saddle-bags. Those guys shat themselves, because in australia most of us rarely ever see guns except on the hips of cops and occasionally on farms.

That's hysterically funny. Now I want to start an enormous gun collection when I get back to the US so that whenever I have visitors from Europe or Australia I can make them think that I'm a maniac. Then I'll off-handedly claim that my collection is rather small and that most Americans keep M249s and 1000 rounds of 5.56 ammo in their bathtub so that they can take cover there and cover the bathroom door in the event that USAS-12 wielding home invaders come calling.
Thanee
C'mon, you don't really want to tell us that it's not like that, huh? biggrin.gif rotfl.gif

Bye
Thanee
Grinder
QUOTE (SL James)

I never wanted to judge a whole group by the action of a handful of its members - all I wanted to do was to give an example how some of them might think and act, with a story that I can confirm as true.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Grinder)

I never wanted to judge a whole group by the action of a handful of its members - all I wanted to do was to give an example how some of them might think and act, with a story that I can confirm as true.

I think responding to a post that said HA's were nice and easy going with "Yeah, like these people who did bad things" was pretty much intended to refute the point.

The use of "Yeah" at the beginning clearly indicates you're challenging Hyz's point, and the lack of a qualifier like "At least some aren't" or the like indicates that you intended to blanket it to the entire group.

Point to Hyz.

Continue!

*munches popcorn*
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Thanee)
C'mon, you don't really want to tell us that it's not like that, huh? biggrin.gif rotfl.gif

Bye
Thanee

Or when you are coming back home to de ole family farm one night and one of your cousins comes out too see who it is. After a short, 'hoywa doing?' you point out that he appears to have wandered out of the house to see who was coming up the driveway without a weapon and he blushes in embarrassment.
Grinder
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I never wanted to judge a whole group by the action of a handful of its members - all I wanted to do was to give an example how some of them might think and act, with a story that I can confirm as true.[/QUOTE]

I think responding to a post that said HA's were nice and easy going with "Yeah, like these people who did bad things" was pretty much intended to refute the point.

The use of "Yeah" at the beginning clearly indicates you're challenging Hyz's point, and the lack of a qualifier like "At least some aren't" or the like indicates that you intended to blanket it to the entire group.

All I wanted to do was to gieve an example how the mindset of (some) HA's is and that the bad reputation the group as a whole has is caused by actions like the one I mentioned.

Maybe my choice of words wasn't the best, but I never intended to refute hyzmarca's opinion as completly ridicolous - and I'm a non-native english speaker, what makes it hard for me to find the "right" wordings sometimes.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Grinder)
All I wanted to do was to gieve an example how the mindset of (some) HA's is and that the bad reputation the group as a whole has is caused by actions like the one I mentioned.

Maybe my choice of words wasn't the best, but I never intended to refute hyzmarca's opinion as completly ridicolous - and I'm a non-native english speaker, what makes it hard for me to find the "right" wordings sometimes.

Hmmm.

Mitigating circumstances, half point credit.

There are absolutely some horrible HA's out there. And there are some horrible bikers who aren't HA's out there as well.

It's one of those really annoying issues generally. You go around trying to convince people that bikers, in general, aren't really bad people. Except that sometimes, they really really are, which can make it hard to argue convincingly. Especially when there is no easy way to distinguish between those that are and those that aren't.

Course, I'm more angry at the schmoes that pull the "I've got no helmet, no shoes, no jacket and I'm weaving in between cars" than anything else.
Ravor
Bah, the way I see it they are doing humanity a favor by trying to weed themselves out of the gene pool. *winks*
Grinder
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Feb 6 2007, 04:24 PM)
Mitigating circumstances, half point credit.

smile.gif

QUOTE (lorechaser @ Feb 6 2007, 04:24 PM)

There are absolutely some horrible HA's out there.  And there are some horrible bikers who aren't HA's out there as well. 

It's one of those really annoying issues generally.  You go around trying to convince people that bikers, in general, aren't really bad people.  Except that sometimes, they really really are, which can make it hard to argue convincingly.  Especially when there is no easy way to distinguish between those that are and those that aren't.

The german government made no distinction with the HA's: after their war with the Bandidos in Scandinavia during the mid-90s and a handful of lawsuits against several HA's-chapters (drug trade, prositution, assault, illegal weapons...) the HA's are forbidden in germany.

Doesn't stop the bikers, they just opened up again under new names or "convinces" existing MCs to accept them as members.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Grinder)
prositution, assault, illegal weapons...) the HA's are forbidden in germany.

Personally, I'd prefer them to be easily identifiable. Better the enemy you know, than the one you don't....

It's not like the people will leave - they'll just hide themselves now, rather than being obvious.
Aristotle
"RL" Threads are often on the razor's edge pretty much from the first post. That said, there is some great information in this thread for those who would like to use real life info about biking clubs or gangs in their role playing games. Keep posting along those lines and your golden. smile.gif

I'm told I have extended family in the Hell's Angels, although I've never met them. I've got family that I've met in the Pagans club. A rough and tumble bunch that I wouldn't go getting drunk with, but nice enough to talk to briefly. I don't have any personal insight into the inner workings of their organizations, but I'll certainly be mining this thread for ideas.
Daddy's Little Ninja
This can show that gangs are not just mindless thugs. Some might be. Others might be linked to Corps. Some might be really organized.
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 3 2007, 05:51 PM)
Kuby is really cool. I've been on air on his show twice. His on air partner, Curtis Sliwa usually referes to me as a leftist freaky-deaky fruit loop- ironic if you know me.

Oh yeah.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012