Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Move over facial recognition software
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Demerzel
Hello Mr. Anderton, how about using the extra cash from your new promotion on this new car.

Again New Scientist brings us a link to some freaky privacy intruding tech.

Check it out here.
Thane36425
That's straight out of Minority Report. Governments are going to really eat that up since it will allow them to really track everyone everywhere. Watch for the ban on sunglasses.
eidolon
That's pretty wild. And that list of tags at the bottom of the article promises to help me waste sooooo much time. biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
<puts on a pair of commercially available colored contact lenses>

Oops.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Thane36425)
That's straight out of Minority Report. Governments are going to really eat that up since it will allow them to really track everyone everywhere. Watch for the ban on sunglasses.

...some banks in my town already have such a ban.

So I wonder what kind of eye damage a series of powerful IR strobe flashes will cause.

Demerzel
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
So I wonder what kind of eye damage a series of powerful IR strobe flashes will cause.

Next to none I'd imagine. It's UV that is dangerous. This is because the energy of each photon is greater than visible light for UV but less than visible light for IR.
Moon-Hawk
I work with IR illumination of eyes in my lab. Demerzel's got it pretty much right. It's not harmful. Not at the levels required for good illumination. And we use sustained illumination for periods of an hour or more, not a quick flash.
What I'm not 100% sure about is if you're using illuminators bright enough to light a subject 3m away, what happens when some dope puts his eye right up to it? I imagine that at that range you could do some damage, but even then it's my intuition that you'd experience discomfort and stop doing it before you did any permanent damage.

edit: I thought of more to say.
The amount of IR they'd be using isn't significantly more than the amount of IR you get from a normal (visible) camera flash. It's not like they're blasting you with some strange wavelength you never encounter. It's just like the IR from a camera flash, minus the visible parts.
Draug
I'm so glad I don't live in the US. Homeland security my ass.

Anyway, on topic: It's still only 3 meters. Not that effective yet, though it would work in doorways, I suppose. Go shades and contact lenses! Also, with cybereyes you could probably avoid having iris patterns at all, and quite legally too.
2bit
It's just more expensive infrastructure crap to get blown up by a suicide bomb. dead.gif
Thane36425
QUOTE (2bit)
It's just more expensive infrastructure crap to get blown up by a suicide bomb. dead.gif

More like more expensive crap that will control the masses but the bad guys will be able to get around easily.
2bit
*shrug* Meh. Being monitored does not, in and of itself, mean being controlled. Public space belongs to the public; your actions in them should not be considered private or anonymous. As world population increases, and travel more instant, there have to be better measures against people disappearing. Anonymity leads to actions without fear of consequences. I'm not really afraid of losing that.

But then, whenever I played Alpha Centauri, I always played as the Hive.
Ravor
In a perfect world I'd say that you have a point, but the problem is that in this world as well as in the Sixth power tends to corupt, and majorities everywhere feel the right to impose upon the minority.

So yes, in this world being monitored does lead to being controlled.
Ghostly Enigma
Sunglasses and colored contats aside I wounder how some procripion eye-glasses would effect this system. Consitrer for the moment that glass is obacie in IR light I'm not shoure what the duralite leses are like in IR how ever any one know or better yet find out? smokin.gif
Darkwalker
Well, my old photo-sensitive glasses did not go black from a camera flash so likely no effect. And glass is IR-transparent IIRC.

I like the system. Quite a few "things" would have been in prison far earlier if those where around. It's not like repeat rapists and child molesters are the smartest guys around.
Sicarius
Oh NO! someone might identify me as I attempt to make entry into a private installation. I might be identified as the person I actually am! IN PUBLIC of all places!

/sarc
lorechaser
Iris scanning is so 1984.

We use brain intention scans now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,...2009217,00.html

If you flipped out about the iris scans, this will make you huddle in a corner.
mmu1
A 70% accurace rate with cooperative subjects means that it's completely useless so far. It'll be interesting to see how far they can take it, but I won't be holding my breath.
Demerzel
That system used computed tomography. CT is regarded as a moderate to high radiation diagnostic technique. They need some serious work to make this into an unobtrusive technique that can be done at 3 meters without your knowledge...
hyzmarca
A 70% accuracy rate at telling the difference between addition and subtraction in cooperative subjects. It isn't anything new. Computed tomography has been around since 1971. They're just looking at CT scans of the brain, identifying patterns, and associating them with specific intentions. There is nothing new there, really.

I do believe that the top picture in this article should explain why there isn't going to be a useful crime-prevention brain scanner any time soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012