Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Serbitar
QUOTE (SR4 p.228)

If you wish for your agent to operate in the Matrix indepenently, you must load it on a particular node seperate from your persona.

QUOTE (SR4 p.228)

Agents use the response attribute of whatever node they run on; this means that the attribues of an agent operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node.

In a recent thread this was interpreted as "An independent agent can only interact with a node when it was uploaded to it first."

Now the question: How can an independent agent ever hack into a node, when it has to be uploaded to the node first to interact with it?
Not as obvious: How can an independent agent ever log onto a node (legally), when it has to be uploaded to the node first to interact with it?

(Apart from that there is no reason why an agent shouldnt be able to access other nodes like any other program does, but has to upload itself to the node to do so.)

Conclusion:
This phrase obviously only means, that the agent acting independently has to run on a node, not on a persona and can access any nodes it wants, just like a normal persona from there. This node can also be a commlink.

Comments?
Thanee
<jedi mind trick>There are no Agents.</jedi mind trick>

Bye
Thanee
The Jopp
Apparently the Agent must be uploaded on node A by a user for it to be able to move further to B and C.

Since Commlink is also a node it means that an Agent can be uploaded on the commlink and then move from there.

Damn, back to square one.

Since everythign is a node these days it stands to reason it has to be uploaded. What they are actually saying is that an agent cannot be run from the memory stick you just bought with Agent Orange V2.0 - you have to upload Agent Orange to your commlink (node).

WHY do they have that phrasing?

*confused*

Bleah!
mintcar
Perhaps it's just there to show that agents opperate differently then personas? A persona runs on the user's commlink and that commlink then logs on to different nodes. An agent instead uploads to nodes and runs from there, sort of like a virus might today. No reason to reflect this in the rules other then that agents change attributes depending on the node, while personas don't.
Aaron
I agree with your conclusion, Serbitar. I've always read it as an agent is just a program that is able to use other programs.
Thain
If you want your agent to operate in the Matrix indepenently, you must load it on a particular node seperate from your commlink. The Agent's abilities are limited by the Node that is is on.

Agents are not Hackers, and they don't get to hack the Matrix from the safety of their commlink.
Serbitar
QUOTE (mintcar)
Perhaps it's just there to show that agents opperate differently then personas? A persona runs on the user's commlink and that commlink then logs on to different nodes. An agent instead uploads to nodes and runs from there, sort of like a virus might today. No reason to reflect this in the rules other then that agents change attributes depending on the node, while personas don't.

If you think that works, then please answer my questions.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Thain)
If you want your agent to operate in the Matrix indepenently, you must load it on a particular node seperate from your commlink. The Agent's abilities are limited by the Node that is is on.

Agents are not Hackers, and they don't get to hack the Matrix from the safety of their commlink.

Please answer the questions then.
Ravor
I think they have been, Agents can upload themselves from Node to Node, and they are limited by the Responce of the Node they are on.

What they can't do is stay on your (rating 6) Commlink and smash the puny IC stuck in a (rating 2) Node somewhere. They first have to upload into that same Node and thus are also reduced to (rating 2).

As for logging on legally, well its simple, they simply ask for permission to transfer themselves like any other data transfer.

Hacking, well personally I'd allow them to Hack into a Node B using the stats of Node A, but once in, they use the stats of Node B.
Blade
There are two ways to use agents :

1) You run them on your commlink, just like a regular program. They are linked to your persona and follow your persona wherever it goes.

2) You load them somewhere (on your commlink or on any node you have agent-loading access to) and you let them roam the Matrix on their own, loading themselves from node to node. To do so, they need either to have access to the node they want to go to or to hack their way inside.

That's how I've always considered it.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Ravor)

As for logging on legally, well its simple, they simply ask for permission to transfer themselves like any other data transfer.

Hacking, well personally I'd allow them to Hack into a Node B using the stats of Node A, but once in, they use the stats of Node B.

So they can ask for login, even hack into the node and initiate a file transfer to the host (upload of the agent), but can not ask not for a piece of data (browsing) or open a file on the node?
Serbitar
QUOTE (Blade)
2) You load them somewhere (on your commlink or on any node you have agent-loading access to) and you let them roam the Matrix on their own, loading themselves from node to node. To do so, they need either to have access to the node they want to go to or to hack their way inside.

Please answer the questions.
Blade
QUOTE ("Serbitar")
Now the question: How can an independent agent ever hack into a node, when it has to be uploaded to the node first to interact with it?
Not as obvious: How can an independent agent ever log onto a node (legally), when it has to be uploaded to the node first to interact with it?

The agent has been uploaded on node A by its owner. It wants to access node B. It sends a log-on request to node B. If node B accepts, it "sends" itself to that node. If node B refuses (or asks for some kind of identification), it can use some hacking utilities to disguise himself as a legitimate traffic or to crack the identification.

You know it's the same for the hacker : how can he access a node to hack it if he doesn't even have a user account on it ? Or maybe there's some kind of "guest" account that only allow login actions...
Serbitar
If the agent can communicate with the node to hack in, why cant it communicate to use all the other programs? Its just traffic between the nodes.
Thain
I did answer your questions, albeit indirectly, you are commiting a fallacy Serbitar. The Agent must be loaded onto a Node, not nessicarily onto the Node it is attempting to access.

How can independent agent ever hack into a node, when it has to be uploaded to the node first to interact with it?

The Agent is loaded onto Node X, it wants to hack into Node Z. The Agent rolls hacking+exploit as normal, but is capped by the abilities of Node X. Once it is on Node Z, it is capped by the abilities of Node Z.

This means, in effect, that Agents are going to be far worse at independent hackign than an actual Hacker. This is a feature, not a bug.

How can an independent agent ever log onto a node (legally), when it has to be uploaded to the node first to interact with it?

An independent agent gets legal access to Node Z by either being directly uploaded to it (legally) by its programmer (this is how IC gets onto a node) or by legally accessing it from Node X. For example, if you just want your agent to browse the iTunes 2070 node - like a typical shopper, you tell it to go there from its current node... it sends a logon request, and click, its in.

You just need to accept the fact that Agents are software, they are not AI's, they are not Hackers, and they are restricted.
FrankTrollman
Yeah, of course an Agent can access nodes other than the one it is on. A Hacker is running their persona on their Commlink and can access other nodes to hack. An Agent is running on some other Commlink and can access other nodes to hack.

Seriously, I don't even know why this is up for debate. Since the vast majority of programs only do anything by accessing other nodes, an Agent wouldn't be able to do anything if it couldn't do that.

Programs like Exploit, Scan, Trace, and Browse all involve you being on one node and accessing perhaps hundreds of other nodes from there. That Agents can use them at all is proof that they don't need to be uploaded onto Node B to affect Node B. They can jolly well sit on Node A and access Node B just like a Hacker can.

You don't use up the maximum programs running on a node by attacking that node with your programs, if you did Hackers and Agents couldn't fight at all.

-Frank
Serbitar
Well aparently the majority of people out there believes that independent agents can only affect nodes they are running on.
Thain
QUOTE (Serbitar)
If the agent can communicate with the node to hack in, why cant it communicate to use all the other programs? Its just traffic between the nodes.

Because an Agent is, basically, a computer virus. A virus can try to get onto my computer without ever getting installed, but it will have no effect until it is installed.

Do you think a Hacker can use his programs without gaining access to the node? No. That's not how it works. Think of the nodes as physical places that you need to "walk into." A passerby on the street can knock on my door, try the knob, or even smash the window... But they can't go through my file cabinent until they are inside. They can't flip the light switch. They can't raid the fridge.

Gaining access to the node is the same. You can do it the legal way (knock, knock) or you can hack your way in (smash the window). The difference between a hacker and an agent is that the hacker can bring his "super powers" (hacking programs and deck ratings) with him, but an agent is limited to the "power level" of the node.

It's not signal traffic, it's foot traffic, and the entire Matrix model is based on that idea.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Well aparently the majority of people out there believes that independent agents can only affect nodes they are running on.

Since they are supposed to act as Searchbots, that's the dumbest fucking thig I've ever heard.

It literally says that zero times in the BBB, and Agents wouldn't be able to do the very thing that they are supposed todo if that was the case.

-Frank
Serbitar
QUOTE (Thain)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 6 2007, 12:52 PM)

Because an Agent is, basically, a computer virus. A virus can try to get onto my computer without ever getting installed, but it will have no effect until it is installed.

Do you think a Hacker can use his programs without gaining access to the node? No. That's not how it works. Think of the nodes as physical places that you need to "walk into." A passerby on the street can knock on my door, try the knob, or even smash the window... But they can't go through my file cabinent until they are inside. They can't flip the light switch. They can't raid the fridge.

Gaining access to the node is the same. You can do it the legal way (knock, knock) or you can hack your way in (smash the window). The difference between a hacker and an agent is that the hacker can bring his "super powers" (hacking programs and deck ratings) with him, but an agent is limited to the "power level" of the node.

It's not signal traffic, it's foot traffic, and the entire Matrix model is based on that idea.

The ignorance of this post is collosal.

Acessing a node != running on a node
mfb
yes, exactly--accessing a node != running on a node. show in the BBB where it says agents have to be running on a node to access it.
Blade
QUOTE (Serbitar)

Mostly because SR Matrix is totally different from today's computer systems on that aspect: your persona has to be present in a node to affect it.

You can't Attack a hacker in a remote node from your commlink. You can't Edit a file in a remote node from your commlink. Your persona has to be there (even if your programs run on your commlinks).

It's true that nothing clearly states if the agent can "run" on a node and have its icon on another node (just like a hacker runs his program on his commlink and has its persona on another node) or if it can only be present on the node it's running.

I'd go for the second hypothesis, but it's a question that should be asked to the devs.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Blade)
Mostly because SR Matrix is totally different from today's computer systems on that aspect: your persona has to be present in a node to affect it.

It's true that nothing clearly states if the agent can "run" on a node and have its icon on another node (just like a hacker runs his program on his commlink and has its persona on another node) or if it can only be present on the node it's running.

I'd go for the second hypothesis, but it's a question that should be asked to the devs.

Granted. But you are "present" if you are accessing a node. Your programs are limited by the response of the node you are running on. Those are very different things.

The node I'm running on is my commlink. It is coordinating my programs and getting my processes running. A copy of my icon appears on a node I'm acessing, and I can use my programs against it, but that doesn't mean that my persona or any of my programs are running on that node.

You can't Attack a hacker in a remote node from your commlink. You can't Edit a file in a remote node from your commlink. Your persona has to be there (even if your programs run on your commlinks).

That's bullshit. Your persona has to be there, but it doesn't have to be from there. You can very much attack a hacker in a node remote from your commlink.

If I'm running on Node A, I can access Node B. The programs that I'm running on Node A don't add to slowdown on Node B, and aren't limited in Rating by whatever Node B is all about. Now another Hacker can be running on Node C and also access Node B. Neither one of us are using up the program slots of B, but since we both have copies of our icon in Node B we can attack each other.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Comments?

As the rules for the SR4 matrix miss any description of 'connection', you can't even describe a phone call.
Serbitar
QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 6 2007, 07:08 PM)
yes, exactly--accessing a node != running on a node. show in the BBB where it says agents have to be running on a node to access it.

Read my inital post. I am not of this opinion. But others are. This Thread is to convince them otherwise.
mfb
ah, cool. my bad.
DireRadiant
Just for fun...

Agent loaded as part of Hacker Persona and connected to Node B

Node A
- Persona, Hacker
-- Agent

Node B
- Hacker Icon
- Agent Icon (Has Hacker Persona ID/Commcode)

----------------------
Agent Loaded seperately and connected to Node B

Node A
- Persona, Hacker
- Agent

Node B
- Hacker Icon
- Agent Icon (Has it's own Commcode)

-----------------------
Agent Loaded onto a different commlink and acting independently to connect to Node C

Node A
- Persona, Hacker

Node B
- Hacker Icon
- Agent

Node C
- Agent Icon

-----------------------
Getting complicated, since you can connect to multiple nodes...

Node A
- Persona, Hacker

Node B
- Hacker Icon (from Node A)
- Agent

Node C
- Agent Icon (from Node B)
- Hacker Icon (from Node A)
DireRadiant
Agents have Personas? It's just the attributes don't have the same origin as the Hacker's persona, e'g Agents have thier own firewall to begin with.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Agents have Personas?

No, only users have Personas.
Agents have Icons, though.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Feb 6 2007, 09:22 PM)
Agents have Personas?

No, only users have Personas.
Agents have Icons, though.

So sad, must be a Turing thing...

So if I analyze a Hacker Icon and an Agent Icon what do I see that's different? Behind each one will be a Response, System, Signal, Firewall, and program ratings?
cetiah
edit: removed due to improper context
hobgoblin
try this on for size then:

a persona is a kind of interface "program" thats uploaded to a node and streams data back to the comlink or other computer that the hacker is using.

a agent on the other hand transfer itself rather then just a interface.

why the SR matrix is set up like this i dont know. maybe for legal reasons? if your persona interface program is present on a node, you are in effect present on said node and therefor under whatever laws that the node is under? would make its simple for corps to bring the legal smackdown on anyone trying to "rob" one of their nodes...

in any case it seems that the RL idea of ports, clients and servers are not present in SR.

as for search bots, i dont think its ever stated in SR4 that when a hacker performs a search, he is jumping from node to node, looking over virtual lists of data and so on. more likely then not thats a mental holdover from earlier SR versions. and if thats so, then the whole "problem" of the variable dice pool search bot falls flat.

QUOTE (direradiant)
Agents have Personas? It's just the attributes don't have the same origin as the Hacker's persona, e'g Agents have thier own firewall to begin with.

there are the same attributes, and both a persona and a agent is represented by a icon online. but saying therefor that a agent = a persona or that a agent have a persona is potentially a long stretch of logic...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
So if I analyze a Hacker Icon and an Agent Icon what do I see that's different?

Behind each one will be a Response, System, Signal, Firewall, and program ratings?

An successfull Matrix perception test indeed allows you to seperate Persona from Agent, and Agent from IC or Sprite, etc.

AFAIS, you can't hack a Persona directly, but have to trace it back to it's home Node.
An Agent, you could hack immediatly.
mfb
edit: no longer relevant.
FrankTrollman
Cetiah, I don't think that particular rant belongs on this thread. It's a strategy for handling the Agent Smith problem, but this is a thread about what he RAW actually says. And there is absolutely no way you can interpret the RAW as to saying that Agents can't use Hacking.

For example:
QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 227)
Agents can also access other nodes indepently if instructed to and if they have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons).

Really, it's quite open and shut. According to the actual written rules, an Agent can hack into other nodes and can access nodes other than the one it is running in. This is not really up for debate.

Whether this should be the case I suppose is, but presenting your house rules in this thread as if they were "interpretations" is misleading.

-Frank
cetiah
removed: due to improper context.
cetiah
Cetiah, I don't think that particular rant belongs on this thread. It's a strategy for handling the Agent Smith problem, but this is a thread about what he RAW actually says. And there is absolutely no way you can interpret the RAW as to saying that Agents can't use Hacking.

I apologize. I removed the offensive posts.
cetiah
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 6 2007, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (SR4 p.228)

If you wish for your agent to operate in the Matrix indepenently, you must load it on a particular node seperate from your persona.

QUOTE (SR4 p.228)

Agents use the response attribute of whatever node they run on; this means that the attribues of an agent operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node.

In a recent thread this was interpreted as "An independent agent can only interact with a node when it was uploaded to it first."

I would agree with that interpretation based on the text you quoted.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Now the question: How can an independent agent ever hack into a node, when it has to be uploaded to the node first  to interact with it?

This depends on your interpretation of uploading. My interpretation of RAW was that if an agent hacked into a node, the act of hacking uploaded the program. A successful hack means the virus (err... agent) was successfully uploaded. An unsuccessful hack means its just sitting helplessly on your comlink's node staring at the scary firewall.

This would probably mean that if the agent was defeated in cybercombat there that it's over and done with. Agent deleted. Not sure if this was ever in RAW or not, but its a natural consequence of the interpretation and isn't contradicted in RAW.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Not as obvious: How can an independent agent ever log onto a node (legally), when it has to be uploaded to the node first  to interact with it?

The act of logging on uploads the program. Again, if that node is shut down, you're agent is toast.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
This phrase obviously only means, that the agent acting independently has to run on a node, not on a persona and can access any nodes it wants, just like a normal persona from there. This node can also be a commlink. Comments?
Disagree. If it worked this way, there would be no reason for an agent to ever move off your comlink onto another node. Unless you're willing to completely disregard the paragraph about moving from one node to another, this can't be correct. The text clearly indicates that it was meant to be a limitations on the agents' capabilities/efficiency.

QUOTE (mintcar)

I think this was likely the original intent.

QUOTE (Ravor)
What they can't do is stay on your (rating 6) Commlink and smash the puny IC stuck in a (rating 2) Node somewhere. They first have to upload into that same Node and thus are also reduced to (rating 2).

Agreed on all points.

QUOTE (Serbiter)
So they can ask for login, even hack into the node and initiate a file transfer to the host (upload of the agent), but can not ask not for a piece of data (browsing) or open a file on the node?

I don't think this is covered in RAW for or against, but it is reasonable to assume it can send requests to a node to conduct activities that the node itself was made to facilitate. So it can request a piece of information if that node was designed to provide that information to any requests for it, such as search engines and the like.

An agent can't browse around a node to see what's there without going to the node, but the node can communicate its contents to your agent if it wishes. Your agent can't really open a file on that node, but I suppose there might be some nodes that present any dumb clients that communicate with it to use some of its applications - so in that case, it's more like the node's system is opening the program for you.

The Agent can hack into a node, because RAW says it can. It can upload itself for similiar reasons. Ravor has already mentioned how this works.

---

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You don't use up the maximum programs running on a node by attacking that node with your programs, if you did Hackers and Agents couldn't fight at all.

Are there contradictions? Yes, but they're workable. I don't assume that just because its in RAW it has to make sense.

Do I agree that it should all work this way? Not neccessarily. As Frank advised, I am sticking with my interpretations of RAW for this post.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Programs like Exploit, Scan, Trace, and Browse all involve you being on one node and accessing perhaps hundreds of other nodes from there.

Exploit doesn't matter - Hacking is an exception that was specifically mentioned as being possible. Scan doesn't require you to be on another node. I could see Trace working either way. Even if it did work by "node-jumping" (as opposed to just requesting information from those nodes), your agent is simply moving from node to node. As it does its performance is potentially decreased, depending on what nodes it is accessing. A hacker can use this to his advantage. To use Browse to get standard publicaly-available information from search engines is no problem; to use Browse to look at all the files on a remote computer requires the Agent to physically be there.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
An Agent is running on some other Commlink and can access other nodes to hack.

I thought the whole point of hacking was to gain access.
Serbitar
QUOTE (cetiah @ Feb 6 2007, 10:20 PM)
A successful hack means the virus (err... agent) was successfully uploaded.  An unsuccessful hack means its just sitting helplessly on your comlink's node staring at the scary firewall. 

Where is the agent hacking the node from? From another node? Strange, why can it hack in from another node (very complicated) but cant do a browse action from there (very easy)?

Same for loggin on.

Disagree.  If it worked this way, there would be no reason for an agent to ever move off your comlink onto another node.

Jackpot!

But there is a reason: You dont want to pay the response cost (also mentioned in the RAW paragraph).

An agent can't browse around a node to see what's there without going to the node, but the node can communicate its contents to your agent if it wishes. Your agent can't really open a file on that node, but I suppose there might be some nodes that present any dumb clients that communicate with it to use some of its applications - so in that case, it's more like the node's system is opening the program for you.

Strange, a persona can do exactly that. Whys that? Mystic energy from the brain?

The Agent can hack into a node, because RAW says it can. It can upload itself for similiar reasons. Ravor has already mentioned how this works.

So if RAW said pistols could shoot 50 meters and assault rifles could shoot 10 meters you would just take it and move on?
Pyritefoolsgold

Strange, a persona can do exactly that. Whys that? Mystic energy from the brain?

this is shadowrun. That is entirely possible. Internet people are no longer just trolls on forums, but often in real life, too.

So if RAW said pistols could shoot 50 meters and assault rifles could shoot 10 meters you would just take it and move on?

We don't have agents in real life to compare this to. You have basically decided what you want an agent to be, and the RAW disagrees with you. You may as well be being annoyed that lasers have a limit to their range in star wars in space, when you don't think they should.
Serbitar
No, I decided that there should be an underlying logic concept. If a rule contradicts another rule or its causally necessary assumption, then there is a problem. Whatever the rules is saying or in which environment.

I have yet to hear any explanation why personas can access other nodes and agents can not (contradiction 1) and why agents can acess other nodes to trace and hack in but cant to browse (contradiction 2).
cetiah
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Where is the agent hacking the node from? From another node? Strange, why can it hack in from another node (very complicated) but cant do a browse action from there (very easy)?

Conceptually, I think the idea was that the firewall was supposed to be between the two nodes, so to speak. The firewall is the only barrier to access, and once it is taken down the agent can logon (upload itself) to do other stuff that requires access to the node.

QUOTE (Serbitar)

Jackpot!

But there is a reason: You dont want to pay the response cost (also mentioned in the RAW paragraph).

I don't believe either of the above statements to be in the spirit of the rules. It is obvious that RAW never had any intention of giving users benefits for having two comlinks and it wasn't taken into account when writing the rules. It seems obvious to me that in reading the original paragraphs that you quoted a node was meant to go from node to node fairly frequently and this was meant to be a limitation. What you are describing is a complication, not a limitation. And I think you know it.

QUOTE (Cetiah)

QUOTE (Serbitar)

I don't know. Somebody already 'cried foul' when I tried to suggest a "better" way of handling things, so I'm limiting my statements to only what I interpret from the rules based on the information you quoted in starting this thread. I have been restricted from making value judgements on RAW or suggesting alternative methods.

This is the way RAW works based on my interpretations. I don't know why. I don't see any reason to make ANY distinctions between rules for personas and icons, and yet, RAW does. Personas just work slightly differently according to the relevent sections of RAW you quoted. I'm forbidden from saying anymore.

QUOTE (Cetiah)

QUOTE (Serbitar)

No, I would invent a very complex system of interconnected house rules that I feel better represent these issues and enhance gameplay and post them up for others to contribute/modify. I believe in an 'open source' attitude toward game design.

But I'm forbidden from speaking of these things on this thread. Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone.
Serbitar
QUOTE (cetiah @ Feb 7 2007, 12:37 AM)
Conceptually, I think the idea was that the firewall was supposed to be between the two nodes, so to speak.  The firewall is the only barrier to access, and once it is taken down the agent can logon (upload itself) to do other stuff that requires access to the node. 

Nothing against that, but why must it log on? That is the question. Why cant it just stay where it is and just continue to acces the node like it did while hacking it.

I don't believe either of the above statements to be in the spirit of the rules.

Maybe. But I am claiming that the rules are contradictory and should be changed if they mean what you think they mean.

This is the way RAW works based on my interpretations.  I don't know why.  I don't see any reason to make ANY distinctions between rules for personas and icons, and yet, RAW does.  Personas and icons just work slightly differently according to the relevent sections of RAR you quoted.  I'm forbidden from saying anymore.

No, you can just say: OK your right RAW is either flawed or interpreted wrong.
Pyritefoolsgold
QUOTE (Serbitar)
No, I decided that there should be an underlying logic concept. If a rule contradicts another rule or its causally necessary assumption, then there is a problem. Whatever the rules is saying or in which environment.

I have yet to hear any explanation why personas can access other nodes and agents can not (contradiction 1) and why agents can acess other nodes to trace and hack in but cant to browse (contradiction 2).

I'm sorry, but since none of us are 2070s matrix engineers, we can't very well tell you exactly how it works, any more than we can tell you exactly why they didn't have wireless everywhere in 2060.

by the way, neither of those are contradictions. They are part of the definition of the things you're talking about. A persona can log into other nodes from his comlink, and an agent can't, in the same way that a mage can summon fire spirits, but a shaman can't. that's part of the definition of what a persona and agent is. This may not fit the way you envision it working, but that's not the system's problem.
Synner
Why don't I suggest that you do something completely novel and ask the guys who actually developed this stuff (and I don't mean myself). Fire off a mail to the SR FAQ and see what the developer has to say about what was intended with the cited rules.
cetiah
Nothing against that, but why must it log on? That is the question. Why cant it just stay where it is and just continue to acces the node like it did while hacking it.

Only a guess:
Because the baseline assumption behind agents were that agents = IC. All the limitations that apply to IC apply to agents. And the designers didn't like the idea that a single IC could protect every node that its home node could communicate with. They wanted cybercombat to be a local affair.

The underlying topography of the VR Matrix was being used to determine how agents work, not real life networking. If the designers had started with "what kind of things could a hacker do with just a copy of linux?" the entire Wireless World Matrix chapter might have turned out quite a bit differently.

(I have more to say on this issue, because even my house rules work this way. But I want to think a little more on how I want to communicate my opinion, so I'll try to post later tonight.)

Maybe. But I am claiming that the rules are contradictory and should be changed if they mean what you think they mean.

No, you have been saying that the two paragraphs that you quoted from the book mean something they do not. Or that they don't mean something they do. Either way, you are deliberately misinterpreting RAW and then accusing others of contradicting RAW when they try to correct you.

RAW is seriously messed up in quite a few ways. But that's okay, really. I think of RAW as a sort of "1st edition" of the new Matrix rules. They made a lot of good decisions and its a dramatic improvement, which is all I require from a new edition. They rode with new concepts and new ideas and I'm not surprised if the whole thing is fundementally flawed. They couldn't start from scratch even if they wanted to because there's a whole host of fans that would be upset by that. They needed to combine conflicting ideas and make it work the best they could.

I feel that my custom hacking rules work better than RAW, but it would have annoyed me if the SR4 hacking rules had turned out like my custom version did. My first reaction would have been, "What happened to my Matrix? I liked VR 2.0!!!" I imagine a lot of people would have had that reaction.

No, you can just say: OK your right RAW is either flawed or interpreted wrong.

I say both.

You are interpreting RAW incorrectly, purposefully ignoring the basic underlying assumptions that RAW is designed to support because you disagree with those assumptions.

I'll also say that the basic assumptions underlying RAW are flawed, and a system that was built around different assumptions would work a lot better, be more realistic, and contribute to better game play. Then I would refer you to this website: Cetiah's Custom Hacking Rules
cetiah
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 6 2007, 07:00 PM)
Why don't I suggest that you do something completely novel and ask the guys who actually developed this stuff (and I don't mean myself). Fire off a mail to the SR FAQ and see what the developer has to say about what was intended with the cited rules.

Because developers ruin all the good arguments... smile.gif

Ultimately, tinkers don't ask questions like this because we want answers, nor do we necessarily seek to influence the game's development. We communicate to interact with other people, see what other tinkers have done, and contribute to bettering other people's games if we can. There's a reason we choose to communicate with forums and get opinions from people playing the game rather than shooting off emails to developers.

(Yes, it's because the developers have blocked us. biggrin.gif j/k)
Serbitar
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 7 2007, 01:00 AM)

Several reasons:

- answers take some month most of the time
- most of the time the answers arent very satisfying (my subjective opinion)
- this thread is mostly about getting opinions from others
- this thread is also about pointing out a potential problem to SR players (it turns out that there are two very different interpretations)
- I use this thread as reference for the problem and to make sure I get every aspect of it (thats often the intention when I open threads, to find whether there are any arguments that survive my counter arguments, again maybe subjective)
- an answer from rob et al. most likely will not clarify/change RAW anyways

And finally I just didnt think about asking the devs. Maybe Im just not the dev asker type.

Edit: Ah well cetiah summed it up very well.
Serbitar
QUOTE (cetiah @ Feb 7 2007, 01:01 AM)

No, you have been saying that the two paragraphs that you quoted from the book mean something they do not. Or that they don't mean something they do. Either way, you are deliberately misinterpreting RAW and then accusing others of contradicting RAW when they try to correct you.

Please specify.

If the two paragraphs say that an agent must be running on the node to interact with it, then this is a contradiction with the rest of the rules and itself. I am not sayin that the rules say so. In fact, you do. RAW can not violate logic and consistency. If it does it is a problem.

Only a guess:
Because the baseline assumption behind agents were that agents = IC.  All the limitations that apply to IC apply to agents.  And the designers didn't like the idea that a single IC could protect every node that its home node could communicate with.  They wanted cybercombat to be a local affair. 

This is OK, but they should have thought about the consequences. As it seems, they didnt.
Pyritefoolsgold

If the two paragraphs say that an agent must be running on the node to interact with it, then this is a contradiction with the rest of the rules and itself. I am not sayin that the rules say so. In fact, you do. RAW can not violate logic and consistency. If it does it is a problem.

I have no problem understanding this, and it seems non contradictory to me. Perhaps you could explain the contradiction. It says agents do specific things, and have specific limitations, and that one of those limitations is that unless they are latched on to a persona, their program has to be running in a node for them to act on that node. It seems very simple, but you seem to want the same rules that apply to agents to also apply to personas. I see no good reason why that has to be the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012