Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building your own response chip
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eleazar
The book actually says you are actually building your own chip based upon the parts purchased for whatever rating is desired. The chart in SR4 page 240 states it is a response chip that is being created. Wouldn't this then require some sort of Fabrication plant or a modern 2070 microfactory. I am guessing the parts purchased are a wafer with the chemicals and metals required to create your very own chip. This is a rather highly sophisticated process that takes a team of engineers. So, what is needed to create your own response chip. I am guessing what ever is needed would also be applied to sim modules and wireless radio device.
Nasrudith
Probably an electronics shop, maybe an electronics facillity according to the rules. Personally I'd lean towards the electronics shop over the facility.
Strobe
I was always under the impression that the chips were self writing so to speak. Since the processing power and storage are the same unit you buy a blank and then use some other software to make the chip into whatever chip you had designed.

-Strobe
Jaid
if you look at it, there are only two stats for the hardware of any given device:

1) signal. this is pretty straightforward... it's the strength of your wireless signal. basically a radio.

2) response. since there are precisely 0 other stats, this is everything that hardware determines, *except* for the wireless stuff.

so, in other words, what is a response chip? it's a computer. you would need everything that a computer would need, because when it all comes down to it, the response chip is actually a computer. it's not a CPU, it's not a motherboard, it's not a hard drive, it's not your RAM, etc... it's everything put together.
cetiah
I assume this is a relatively simple process, requiring only a Hardware test. The "requiring parts" limit is just fluff to make sure the GM has a way out if player's start abusing this. I don't think it would require a fabrication facility, so much as it just needs a few tools. It's like the difference between making a car on the assembly line and just fixing one up yourself.

I don't think you could build it from scratch, using just base metals and chemicals and such, but I think you can take common electrical components and make them into a chip, or take an existing chip and make it function better.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Jaid)
if you look at it, there are only two stats for the hardware of any given device:

1) signal. this is pretty straightforward... it's the strength of your wireless signal. basically a radio.

2) response. since there are precisely 0 other stats, this is everything that hardware determines, *except* for the wireless stuff.

so, in other words, what is a response chip? it's a computer. you would need everything that a computer would need, because when it all comes down to it, the response chip is actually a computer. it's not a CPU, it's not a motherboard, it's not a hard drive, it's not your RAM, etc... it's everything put together.

Which would then mean it is a highly sophisticated chip. It makes sense all this would be contained in one chip considering the size of commlinks. Maybe some sort of intelligent nanites are used to help construct the chip. I am guessing we will hear more about this in Unwired.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012