Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying Used Vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ferrit
Below are the rules my group is using for the used vehicles. Comments, improvements and the like welcome smile.gif

In reality (whatever that is) vehicles depreciate rapidly, in fact often losing 40% of their new value as soon as they are driven off the dealership forecourt. As time goes by a vehicle’s value continues to drop so that after less than 10 years a vehicle that formerly costs nuyen.gif 20,000+ is available for mere hundreds. But in that time the vehicles has almost certainly suffered usage and has components that are worn and tired, developing little niggles that a new owner will not know about and that might strike without warning. Not only that but corrosion and stress will have weakened the physical structure of the vehicle too, gradually making it more fragile.

To represent this a character buying a vehicle can choose to purchase one that is in a used condition. (Note that a previously owned vehicle that is in as-new condition will have an as new price. Generous GM’s may give a 10% discount.) The discount as a percentage of original price and condition of the vehicle are as shown below.
CODE

Age (years)     Total Discount            Condition
      0               0                    As book
      1              20%                   1 Niggle
      2              30%            1 Niggle, 1 Fragility
      3              40%            2 Niggles, 1 Fragility
      4              50%            2 Niggles, 2 Fragility
      5              60%            3 Niggles, 2 Fragility
     6+              70%            3 Niggles, 3 Fragility

For every two years of additional age the vehicle gain an additional point of Fragility. Cost may also decrease but at GM discretion.

The buyer can choose to swap Niggles and Fragility effects if they so desire i.e. a 3 year old vehicle may have 2 Fragility and 1 Niggle instead of the other way round.

Each point of Niggle the vehicle has is equivalent to 1 level of Gremlins for that vehicle. If a Glitch is caused by Niggles the GM chooses sometime during that journey or the next that the vehicle malfunction in some way. It could stall for no reason, a door opens unexpectedly, wipers or lights turn on or off, GPS gets lost, fails to start, radiator suddenly leaks and the like. These effects might just require restarting the engine or an actual Automotive Mechanic check depending on the chosen severity.

The vehicle's Fragility is deducted from its Body score when determining damage and making other structural tests. A vehicle that loses all its effective Body in this way is considered junk and has probably collapsed with a fatal case of rust.
Kyoto Kid
...I like this system. I'll have to apply it to Hurricane Hannah's '62 F-350.
Backgammon
Not bad. However, I would drop the concept of Age. Age does not have a direct relationship with the condition of the car. A year old car can be in worse shape than a 10 year old car.

Niggles, which applies Grmelins specifically to the vehicule, is great. I like that.

Fragility isn't quite right. The car should suffer from overall mechanical/electronic problems, not just lose body due to rust.

Off the yop of my head, I would give a dice penalty on all Car tests with the vehicule. Harsh, but if the player chooses to buy a car at a fraction of the price, he should suffer adequately.
Kyoto Kid
...I would debate adding a negative DP modifier just because a vehicle is older. Niggles (or Gremlins - whatever you want to call them) are a serious enough penalty. In Rigger 3 they used vehicle stress points Unfortunately as with most of the alternate rules in SRIII, managing vehicle stress was cumbersome. I actually would rather keep the Fragility rating. Maybe instead call it "Wear and Tear".

I could also see a character with vehicle mechanics being able to keep the vehicle running adequately through regular maintenance using the "Wear & Tear" as a threshold. Failure would mean that sometime before the next regular maintenance session something could go wrong.

Keep in mind even a new vehicle can be a lemon. (look at the Yugo, the Pinto, the DeHavilland Comet 1, the DC-10, & The Issaquah Class Super ferry)
jervinator
I agree that maintenance matters more than age. I have had three year old cars die, nursed 18-year-old cars back to health and run 'em strong, and the cars I've had that were in the best shape were so old your system would write them off; over the age of 6.

The theory is nice though. I just think the execution should take treatment into account. Babying a car and doing all the maintenance on-time will make it nearly timeless. Flogging it will take it's toll but not too badly if you keep an eye on trouble-spots. Neglect will kill a car quickly.

To illustrate this point, let me tell you about my first car. It was the only one I had for over a year and that still ran when I got rid of it. I gave it to my father-in-law. He doesn't believe in maintenance. He wondered why the engine blew six months later. He NEVER changed the oil (nearly 10K miles) and I told him NEVER EVER EVER EVER run 87-octane in it but that's all he ever ran. I used that car harder than he did, but I took care of it.
The worst part is that it outlived my wife's car despite being 11 years older.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012