Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you have in that breifcase?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LordHaHa
Just was looking up some stuff on the 'net, and came across this. I don't know about you guys, but I got kick out of the article (even though much of the text is somewhat arcane; at least to me, at any rate).

Check it here. Should be vaguely familiar to owners of Shadowtech.

LordHaHa
Kyoto Kid
...I'd just use Polonium 210, if it gets into the bloodstream it is highly toxic. The thing is the NRC's regulations are fairly lax on this substance you can have up to 16 Curies of 210Po before it needs to be registered - 16 curies will yield about 5000 lethal doses.

50ng (the Oral Lethal Dose) of 210Po is 5 million times more deadly than Hydrogen Cyanide in the same measure.

In the current run I am GMing there has been one "Smoky Bomb" that already went off up on Capiitol Hill in the Metropelx. The amount used in the bomb's jacket was .5 curies that was atomised by the blast (a slightly less efficient vector). 42 people who survived the initial blast suffered 210Po poisoning with 26 of the the cases being terminal within 48 hours.

I love RL news for ideas.
nezumi
I tried plugging this into babblefish, but I need to know what language the original article is in.
Thain
QUOTE (nezumi)
I tried plugging this into babblefish, but I need to know what language the original article is in.

Agreed. And I do legal research for a living! If I ever thougt that justices spoke a forgein tounge, I should ahve checked out some medical journals!
cetiah
QUOTE (Thain)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 10 2007, 08:31 AM)

Agreed. And I do legal research for a living! If I ever thougt that justices spoke a forgein tounge, I should ahve checked out some medical journals!

I figured this was all fake and I set out to prove it.
I used google to research every word I could.
The damn thing is legit.
I've read it three times and with google's help, I still have no damn clue what its talking about.
FrankTrollman
OK, here's the same idea in plain English:

Anti-Tac, a monoclonal antibody directed to the human interleukin 2 (IL-2) receptor, has been successfully conjugated to the alpha -particle-emitting radionuclide bismuth-212 by use of a bifunctional ligand, the isobutylcarboxycarbonic anhydride of diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid.

Translation: We took a protein that humans already made that sticks to specific things, and then we stuck something radioactive on the other end.

The physical properties of 212Bi are appropriate for radioimmunotherapy in that it has a short half-life, deposits its high energy over a short distance, and can be obtained in large quantities from a radium generator. Antibody specific activities of 1-40 µ Ci/µ g (1 Ci = 37 GBq) were achieved.

This shit is awesome because we can buy it in bulk and the radioactive part is fucking deadly over very short distances - which would be pretty sweet if we could make sure that it stuck to specific things, which as previously mentioned we can totally do.

Specificity of the 212Bi-labeled anti-Tac was demonstrated for the IL-2 receptor-positive adult T-cell leukemia line HUT-102B2 by protein synthesis inhibition and clonogenic assays.

Since we put the radioactive part on the other end, the human protein still sticks to specific things as normal. And the thing it happens to stick to is "bone cancer".

Activity levels of 0.5 µ Ci or the equivalent of 12 rad/ml of alpha radiation targeted by anti-Tac eliminated >98% the proliferative capabilities of HUT-102B2 cells with more modest effects on IL-2 receptor-negative cell lines.

Because this protein sticks to bone cancer and is very lethal to things it is sticking to, it kills bone cancer pretty well. Since its lethal range is pretty short, it causes little damage to the rest of the body.

Specific cytotoxicity was blocked by excess unlabeled anti-Tac but not by human IgG.

Because we're using a human protein, human immune systems don't attack it. This means that we don't need to suppress the immune system to deliver this treatment.

However, if you have a lot of the normal protein, it might stick to all the places that our radioactive version would stick to and then the system wouldn't work.

In addition, an irrelevant control monoclonal antibody of the same isotype labeled with 212Bi was unable to target alpha radiation to cell lines.

This is a scientific study, so we actually tested the same radioactive compound without attaching it to our sticky-protein to see if somehow we could get the same results without the targetting system (it seems dumb, but actually scientists really do have to do this to make sure that they are testing what they think they are testing). It checked out, and all is right with the world.

Therefore, 212Bi-labeled anti-Tac is a potentially effective and specific immunocytotoxic reagent for the elimination of IL-2 receptor-positive cells. These experiments thus provide the scientific basis for use of alpha -particle-emitting radionuclides in immunotherapy.

We have shown that we can get lethal radiation to go exactly where we want it to go, thus allowing it to act as a powerful medicine. In your face, bitches.

-Frank
cetiah
Frank's translation freaked me out even more than the original article. smile.gif

I would sooooo panic if I recovered that bit of paydata.
fistandantilus4.0
notworthy.gif

Character name:Frank Trollman
Street name : Frank
Race: Troll
Archtype: Blogger
Language skills: English (N) - (S) - Science Speak
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (cetiah)
I would sooooo panic if I recovered that bit of paydata.

If you could find Frank to translate it that is...
Draug
Awesome translation, Frank.

Now, if you could make this stick to healthy cells, and ensure that it lives long enough to be delivered through, say, the water supply. Or, use some fourth (magic) dimension stuff and make it attack only metahumans. Go Humanis!

EDIT: Can you translate the other way too?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Thain)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 10 2007, 08:31 AM)

Agreed. And I do legal research for a living! If I ever thought that justices spoke a forgein tounge, I should ahve checked out some medical journals!

...I think the best term is "medicalese"

In one of my former occupations I worked with porting medical journals into electronic format for multimedia products. A key part of the job was having an understanding of the terminology to make sure that nothing was lost in the transfer process. Most of the times this involved distilling from digital typeset tapes (yeah, back in the iron age of computing) and transferring the data into a readable format that mirrored the actual journal's style. Knowing various terms, formulae, and isotopes was critical since the text was embedded within a very cryptic and cumbersome typeset code.

[Edit]

I do agree, Frank's translation is a damn good one.
Thain
Thank you Frank!
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Draug)
EDIT: Can you translate the other way too?

Yes.

What do you want in Sciencese?

-Frank
Draug
Nothing ATM. It's just nice to know there's someone who might be able to help me out if it pops up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012