Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybermantic Power Systems
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WhiskeyMac
I was looking through Cybertechnology the other day, reading up on Hatchetman, when I came across something really interesting. In the chapter about Cybermancy or Cybermancy Rules (don't remember the exact page right now) some of the posters make comments about cybermantic power systems, or core metabolic cybersystems. Now it doesn't explain a lot about them, or even go into too much detail about who makes them but it interested me a lot. One of the posters talks about how he could get rid of his digestive system and just use one of these.

So, what happened to them? The idea has been around since SR2 but hasn't been expanded on or even mentioned again since then, that I could find. It mentions 2 different types: Somatic and Neural. Have these been added into Augmentations for full-conversion borgs or are they just a "shadowtalk" thing?

What would be the rules for these type of things? Would you be able to consume like 25 to 50% less food without as many bathroom breaks (kinda like a tech version of substance)? Would you be able to take away all food consumption and just rely off the metabolic cybersystem?

Also, is Hatchetman still around or did he "forget" he was alive?
Ancient History
Not much I can reveal to you about Augmentation.

I will say that just because core metabolic systems/cybermantic power cores have so far not appeared beyond Cybertechnology does not mean they may not be available in the future.
fistandantilus4.0
Think of it this way, if it's high end, delta clini, cybermancy stuff, it's way past the bleeding edge of the SOTA. It'd take a while for that stuff to "hit the streets" so to speak.

by the cybermancy rules, depending on how low his essence was, he'd probably be dead by now, either by getting lsot in the details, body failing, cancer, or just getting scragged on some crazy ass mission that requires a cyberzombie.

You might as well throw him at your PC's some time, just to wrap up that chapter. They can be the guys that took down Hatchetman. IF they live that is.
Ancient History
Personally, I always liked the idea of a CPS powered by isotopes. biggrin.gif
Thane36425
There was a Night of the Living Dead movie where the military was using the zombies as war machines, or trying to. They had developed some kind of "battery" that powered the zombies and nullified their need to feed on brains, thus leaving them free to fight.

I just see too many problems with cybermancy to seriously consider it for a PC. There is the ritual of course, then the upkeep on all the cyber and the special drugs and food the cyberzombie needs and it is expensive stuff. Maybe one day they will come up with a suit that leaves you with like 0.01 essence but if mostly metal. Something like a cybertorso with four cyberlimbs and the organs replaced with gene modded smaller but more efficient innards to support what little is left of the meat body.

That is where your power system could come in. Rather than having the "body" powered by the meat body, it runs on some external power, like that isotope engine. You still be minus all that essence though, because of how much meat is gone, particularly if you are just a brain, spinal cord some guts and lungs.

Of course, all that leaves precious little essence for other goodies like Wired Reflexes even at Delta grade, so this would probably be the last resort of someone who would otherwise die and wasn't interested in being a combat monster.

For that matter, you could always be a disembodied brain on life support in a tank living your life on the Matrix and through rigged machines.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Thane36425)
For that matter, you could always be a disembodied brain on life support in a tank living your life on the Matrix and through rigged machines.

Oh god, who was the one that did that? Roxborough, right? Hang on... wasn't that nutty A.I.-hunting doctor... Halberstam?
fistandantilus4.0
yup, Halberstrom (sp?), working for MTC doing the bio computers with brains. Also rumored to be working with otaku brains. All gooey and stuff.
WhiskeyMac
Cybertechnology was SR2 where the prices for cyberware was outrageous compared to what the prices for them now, i.e. cyberarm gyromount was 260,000 nuyen.gif then and now it's only 6,000 nuyen.gif, roughly .02% of the original price.

I was just thinking maybe it wasn't just for cybermancy anymore. Maybe a complete internal body reworking that takes out the digestive system, excretory system and maybe even the respiratory system and the circulatory system. I think it would be cool if it was powered by small isotopes.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Cybertechnology was SR2 where the prices for cyberware was outrageous compared to what the prices for them now, i.e. cyberarm gyromount was 260,000 nuyen.gif then and now it's only 6,000 nuyen.gif, roughly .02% of the original price.

You mean 0.02 OR 2%, not 0.02%.
0.02% of 260,000 is 52 bucks. wink.gif
Ravor
I don't remember Dr Rox at all so I can't comment on him, but if I remember correctly Dr H's babies only tended to live 6-12 months or so. Of course by 2070 its possible that he was able to correct the problems that his system had...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012