Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentor Spirit: Martyr
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
limejello10512
Martyr: martyr is the spirit of generosity and self sacrifice. He exists to do good deeds for others at the expensive of himself. He can never allow an innocent to suffer and will never shirk responsibility for self prervation. He does this to such extreme that he pays little mind to defending himself. He trys to solf every problem by sacrificeing himself even when it is unnecesary.

benifits: +2 dice on all benificial health or counterspell checks when cast on others

restrictions: -2 dice on all benificial health or counterspell checks when cast on himself

What do you guys think, reasonable?
Trigger
Well, the negative is basically equal to the positive, when the positive needs to be more positive than the negative. Hence why it is a positive quality: it falls on the positive side. I have made some secondary mentor flaws that make the Mentor Spirit equal on each side and thus make it so you can take the spirit for free....

But back on topic:

+2 Health Spells and +2 Counterspelling

Roll Willpower + Charisma (3) to resist helping an innocent even at the sake of ones self interest.
limejello10512
hehe that was a typo it should read

Martyr: martyr is the spirit of generosity and self sacrifice. He exists to do good deeds for others at the expensive of himself. He can never allow an innocent to suffer and will never shirk responsibility for self prervation. He does this to such extreme that he pays little mind to defending himself. He trys to solf every problem by sacrificeing himself even when it is unnecesary.

benifits: +2 dice on all benificial health or counterspell checks when cast on others

restrictions: -1 dice on all benificial health or counterspell checks when cast on himself
Trigger
My problem with that is that the Matyr shouldn't purposely try and hurt themselves, as that is a Sadomasochist and not a Matyr...the matyr just doesn't consider his own far a negative factor in a equation to save someone else.
limejello10512
Well I considered your' idea before I even posted this beleive it or not but it didn't seem to reflect the way a martyr does help others by hurting himself. (though the -1 is not actually him hurting himself but him not being as good at helping himself.
Glyph
I think yours is playable and balanced, but Trigger's is more consistent with how the bonuses and penalties for Mentor Spirits are handled.

I also think that the description overall is good, except for the last sentence.

He trys to solf every problem by sacrificeing himself even when it is unnecesary.

This makes it sound less like a martyr, and more like someone with a martyr complex.
limejello10512
Yes yes I know it was a typo, the V is right next to the F and an didn't nit the E hard enough. Actually the inspiration for martyr was for a christian theurge to have a Jesusesqu mentor spirit (ie Sky father = Yaweh, Dark king= grim reaper, martyr= jesus....with adversary as satan)
Trigger
I don't think he is commenting on the typo, but instead on how the last sentence of your description gives the feel of someone with a martyr complex instead of being a martyr. Martyrs don't sacrifice themselves on purpose, that doesn't make them a martyr. No, martyrs are so dedicated to their cause that they would sacrifice themselves if they had to, they don't go searching for a chance to do so.
Butterblume
I don't think a follower of martyr has much life expectancy in the dystopian Shadowrun world. It's a lot like borrowed time, they will selfdestruct at one time.

Not that it's not a great idea for a NPC or a campaign cool.gif.
limejello10512
Actually a lot of martyrs do search for a chance to do so but I know that in theory they don't have to, (in fact if you really want to get technical a martry is someone who dies for a cause via self sacrifice or not) another influence for the name martyr was actually the character type form hunter the reconing.

And a martyr isn't really out to destroy himself...just hurt himself a little bit...you know a martyr might transfer wound boxes from another player to himself using a magic spell that tranfers life force and such.
Trigger
All I am saying is that a martyr does not go out looking to get hurt, he is just willing to get hurt if that is what will happen. And technically a person isn't a martyr until they die ....

The person going out there to get hurt is suicidal, not a martyr. The person who cares so much about his cause that he would give his life to further is a martyr. There is a fundamental difference between those two.
limejello10512
I agree trigger but his cause is supposed to be helping people. A chirtian theurge might heal the sick for example but he spends so much time healing others he's not as skilled at healing himself.
Trigger
I see what you are saying, but I would still go with the advantages and disadvantages I laid out. Just because he spends all of his time healing others doesn't mean he should have a tough time healing himself, as if he needs to heal himself he is already going to have a bit of a row, what with wound modifiers and all. He should simply have that obsessive compulsive need to help people that he has a bitch of a time resisting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012