Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Questions from a 4th Ed Noob GM
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
StealthBanana
There are a few things I'm confused about, and if you lot could help me out that'd be pretty cool.

First off... spoof/redirect/track

How does spoof work? Does your roll on spoof act as a threshold for a track action, or can they only really trace you effectively by using track while you're still connected to the node?

For example, Harold the Hacker logs on to a Ares private node, does this mojo, and leaves. How would I determine if Ares could track him after the fact?

Next example: Harold the Hacker gets caught. A security hacker is tracking him back to his Commlink in order to counter hack. Does Harold use his spoof program to add dice to the threshold of the track attempt, or would he had to have already used spoof to mask his connection before the security hacker started tracking him?

System/Response in relation to running programs!

What is defined as an 'active program'? If I run an attack program, how long does it stay 'active'? I understand more clear cut things like armor, stealth, etc, but how do programs that resolve instantly affect my system/response? If I decided to analyze something, how long would the program be running? Until I got the info I needed and stopped making analyze tests? What about attack programs? When do they stop running? If you use attack, does it stay 'active' for the entire combat? If I'm running stealth and armor, and I use attack, how does that affect my response and for how long?
BishopMcQ
Tracking follows a user's datatrail, so as long as the persona is online it can still be tracked. The datatrail would still exist after the fact and could be used to track down where the user was when he went offline.

Spoof is utiliized for direct actions taken to redirect the trace if the user is still online and thinks that someone is after him, or to spoof the datatrail and cover his tracks.

Example 1--Ares would be able to track the data-trail unless Harold has actively spoofed his Access ID. (SR4, p 216 & 224)

Example 2--Harold would have to take the redirect trace action while the trace was in progress, raising the threshold of the test. I would recommend that he log off quickly as well, and start moving to put as much physical space between himself and the location he was hacking from as possible. (SR4, p 224)

Active programs
Programs stay active from the time you load them intul the time you unload them. It takes a complex action to load a program, so unless you plan on having some free time, to switch your programs around, time which you don't generally have in cybercombat, you will need to have pre-loaded them. (SR4, p227)
StealthBanana
Thanks a lot. One more question/clarification.

Could you give an example of Ares tracking Harold using his datatrail? Would the threshold be equal to the hits he got on the spoof action? And if they overcame his spoofed access code, would they have to retrace his datatrail to get his real access code, or by overcoming the spoof do they automatically detect his real access ID?

For example, Ares tracks his datatrail and obtains the access code for a StufferShack node. In this case they didn't overcome his spoof, they just realized that his access code was spoofed. How would they obtain his real access code, or is that no longer possible?

EDIT: I'll just tell you my players situation. He logged on to a Shiawase node, spoofing his access ID and scoring two successes. He was not detected in his time on the node, but he was a little careless and didn't edit the logs before signing off.

How would I go about determining if Shiawase could trace his connection? What does scoring two hits on a spoof test mean?

Thanks again.
hobgoblin
think of spoof as a forged id.

every comlink or other computer have a access id that in theory should tell the law who owns said computer (much like the licence plate on a car).

when it comes to redirect, the text of the action make it sound like it does something similar to the classical "mirror image" spell of d&d.

it trows out multiple, appearantly real, locations for the hacker to be, buying the real hacker some time to get away before the HTR/swat comes rushing in.

that, in combo with a spoofed id, can make the hacker a ghost in the matrix. sure his MO and persona is known, but noone knows who is hiding behind the "mask" wink.gif
cetiah
There doesn't seem to be any defense against a "spoof datatrail" action so long as the hacker achieved at least 2 hits (because it is a Threshold 2 test).

If they encountered the icon online they could perform a Track action to trace the hacker to his current physical location, regardless of what access ID he has spoofed. Since the hacker is no longer online, he can't be tracked in this way. There's a huge advantage in not being detected.

Since the logs were not deleted, Shiawase knows that SOMEONE hacked their logs and that SOMEONE used this Access ID. I'd say that a matrix Perception test would reveal that the access ID was spoofed, but it doesn't really matter. The point is that while they know that a hacker got into the system and they know what he did, they don't know who the hacker is or where he is and have no means of finding out.

It's not that he spoofed that's so helpful here, it's that he was undetected and therefore never tracked online.

If he had not spoofed, they would know his access ID (which would be in the logs) but still would not have any means of tracing him to his physical location.

If he had not spoofed and HAD been detected and he HAD been tracked, then a successful redirect action would have made the track harder and the tracking IC would have had a hard time finding his physical location - but they would still have his access ID.
hobgoblin
in the end, spoofing id is the first trick a hacker learns, and learns quickly. the rest is picked up by the law before they get most other skills trained to a usefull level wink.gif
StealthBanana
smile.gif

Thanks a lot guys.
Spike
Of course, if you want to be mean, you could allow the Sysop/corp dudes to Analyse his Spoofed ID with a threshold equal to his successes to see if they can crack it.

I'm reasonably certain that isn't Contradicted by the rules.... wink.gif
BishopMcQ
It's not contradicted, but I'm not sure it is supported either. Any page references Spike?
hobgoblin
basically, the book only say how hard it is to spood a aID, not how hard it is to detect a faked one.

i guess this is because your replacing the aID. in effect, the fake ID is your only ID.

so, it looks like the only way they can tell its a fake ID is when they show up at the owners place and find it to be a old grandma with a comlink thats used for basic grocery orders.

its kinda like the RIAA today suing old grandmas for downloading music because her computer supposedly had the IP address in question at the time...
Spike
No real page reference... as I suspected. The closest I saw was under the Trace action, where it uses the hits on the redirect action as a threshold... fairly standard opposed test, there.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that if you go easy on players they get lazy and stop showing up to games. Far better to scourge them with a thousand lashs of lemonjuice IC programs, they come screaming back for more... grinbig.gif
StealthBanana
Two more questions that I thought of in the shower:

Agents. How do they affect Response/System? Does an agent loaded with four programs count a one program, four programs, or five programs (4 loaded programs plus the agent itself)?

EDIT: Also, if you have a program loaded and a linked agent uses it, can you also use it? What are the rules for that. I'm working off the first printing of SR4 and either I just don't get it or there are a few errors in the text.

Also, how do you guys deal with Technomancers? As far as I can see, counterhacking a technomancer that is using his meatbody as his conduit to the Matrix isn't possible. The best you could do is crash his Persona, or track him to obtain his physical location, but you couldn't actually travel to his home 'node', right?

I think I had another question, but I forgot it already haha. The good shower gives, and the good shower, he taketh.
Spike
I would assume a 'linked' agent is just accessing the same programs you have loaded, so if you want to load the agent with 'attack' you have to have attack loaded on the link. Not two copies.

Once the Agent is loaded onto another node, you no longer have to worry about processor speeds, but it can only load programs you had loaded when you dispatched it, which is mere bookkeeping unless you are trying to do this under combat conditions (where timing matters... complex action to load a program and all that...)
cetiah
Agents. How do they affect Response/System? Does an agent loaded with four programs count a one program, four programs, or five programs (4 loaded programs plus the agent itself)?

The book says that the agent's program count against its own Response score. The agent itself (and all programs loaded in it) only counts as one program for your own persona's Response score.

However, I believe the FAQ by Fanpro specifically stated that all programs loaded into an agent count against the persona's Response.

Do technically they're both correct. Take your pick.
(I prefer the former - where the agent manages its own programs independantly of the persona.)

Also, how do you guys deal with Technomancers? As far as I can see, counterhacking a technomancer that is using his meatbody as his conduit to the Matrix isn't possible. The best you could do is crash his Persona, or track him to obtain his physical location, but you couldn't actually travel to his home 'node', right?

I don't know anything about personas, but I assume it would work just like a comlink. That is, the persona's mental node would still function as the router for his personal area network and so it would need to be hacked before any of his devices could be accessed.

However the node doesn't give the hacker access to the technomancer's brain... just whatever data and function's he's loaded into that node... which is usually just security features. But that's just a guess. I don't have a technomancer in my group and haven't read those rules yet.
Spike
Unlike Nodes and Commlinks, Technomancers have no organic memory storage that can be hacked. Their persona can be crashed (inflicting stun on the TM), which would temporarily knock them out of the matrix and give them a whomping good headache, but to store anything they need a seperate node item with the on board memory which would need it's own protection, though if the signal is weak enough it's unlikely that anyone could get close enough to hack it without being in the TM's pocket, so to speak...
cetiah
QUOTE (Spike)
Unlike Nodes and Commlinks, Technomancers have no organic memory storage that can be hacked. Their persona can be crashed (inflicting stun on the TM), which would temporarily knock them out of the matrix and give them a whomping good headache, but to store anything they need a seperate node item with the on board memory which would need it's own protection, though if the signal is weak enough it's unlikely that anyone could get close enough to hack it without being in the TM's pocket, so to speak...

By "no organic memory storage that can be hacked" do you mean a home node? Does that mean their PAN is more vulnerable than most?
Spike
No... Technomancers have no organic memory... thus you can't hack it. They have a persona with no node. You can crash them, but not hack them.

If they want to store paydata they have to bring along something technological to transfer the info too. THAT can be hacked as normal.
hobgoblin
the TM node debate is one of the ongoing ones for SR4...

its not stated that a TM have a node, but its also not stated that a TM does not have a node.

all in all, its yet another topic that one hope is handled by future books or similar. emergence may give us something to go on there...

as for the agent stuff, im with cetiah. its much cleaner and simpler to go with how the book defines it then the FAQ. if anything the FAQ on this makes things more messy then is needed.

here is my take:

a agent have a internal response rating. if its loaded into a persona its based on the persona home node. other times its based on the response of the node its active on at the time.

the internal response of the agent reacts just like a nodes response to having to many programs loaded. but for a agent its based on its rating, not the system rating of any node. so if you load more then agent rating of programs into a agent, its internal response rating suffers.

also, its can only swap programs when its loaded into a persona. if its roaming the matrix on its own, it will have to bring its programs, and they are all active, all the time. no messing around with them being in use or not like the FAQ talks about.

and yes, id make a agent count as a program (its more like a virtual machine but thats a topic for some other time). so if you load more agents on a node then the system rating of said node, the response rating suffers.
Spike
I haven't seen anyone suggest that Technomancers can run software without a physical device, the certainly don't have the memory to actually load them (RAW, page 233). Since they don't have memory, that makes loading your own icon onto their 'node' a challenge.

That is to say: you can hack a Technomancer's PAN (that is, any of the devices he carries and links via his own internal 'commlink') but you can only crash his persona, not hack him personally. There is nothing on his 'commlink' to hack.

On that, are there any hacks you can do to the persona of an opposed commlink? I know you can hack the link itself, take data on and off it, etc... but what can you actually do to the persona other than 'attack' it?
cetiah
QUOTE (Spike @ Feb 12 2007, 01:38 PM)
On that, are there any hacks you can do to the persona of an opposed commlink? I know you can hack the link itself, take data on and off it, etc... but what can you actually do to the persona other than 'attack' it?

Things described in the rules:
  • You can attack it, black hammer it, and blackout it, obviously.
  • You can also trace it.
  • You can spoof its access ID to control his stuff.
  • You can crash any programs it has loaded. (like biofeedback filters or stealth...)
  • Certain Black IC can sort of imprison it, preventing a hacker from jacking out.
  • You can alter its perceived reality with your reality filter.
  • If you control the node, you may terminate the persona's connection.
Things not described in the rules:
  • Theoretically, you should be able to edit its appearence with the Edit program.
  • I don't see why you couldn't spoof or redirect someone else's datatrail. That should have some interesting implications.
  • You should be able to spoof a drone's access ID to send feedback to the persona. They won't listen to commands per se, but "intruders on level 2" from one of a persona's drone could be handy.
  • Maybe, maybe your GM might allow you to Encrypt the node the Persona icon is in so that he is kicked out unless he can decrypt the node. Or you can encrypt one of the persona's programs so that he has to decrypt it or spend a complex action reloading it.

That's all I could think of off-hand. Of all the ones listed, ediiting the icon's appearance is probably my favorite. I could see that really pissing off at least one of my players.
Spike
Not even in theory: If you hack someone's Commlink, which is the central node of their PAN, you could have access to all the data flowing through their PAN. You can see through their cybereyes, listen in on team chat...

In theory, having the right account priviledges might give you access to the subnodes in the PAN, or at least make hacking easier.. thus you could turn off their eyes, or insert false chatter to the team network (spoofing commands to the rest of the team... though of course, since you are dealing with true intelligences, how they react to false data is not as easy as dice rolling...)

The trouble with tying this to Technomancers, is there are no programs or files in their 'commlink' to hack into, just a persona and the ability of the TM to talk to all those devices himself.

Thus my opinion: you can't hack a technomancer, just the hardware he's talking to independently. You can crash him, but that's it.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Spike)
I haven't seen anyone suggest that Technomancers can run software without a physical device, the certainly don't have the memory to actually load them (RAW, page 233). Since they don't have memory, that makes loading your own icon onto their 'node' a challenge.

yep. but saying that they cant store data isnt the same as them not having a node or node like "construct" on the matrix. and that is something thats not covered at all by SR4 so far...

but your right in that not having any memory makes interacting with the node hard.

but it may be that the TM is able to fake the feedback of a node, so that for the hacker it will appear that the persona is active on the TM node. but will probably get some very odd responses when running analyze or similar vegm.gif
Spike
Yeah... without memory, where does your Icon load to? eek.gif
hobgoblin
it may be loaded but not stored. as in, the TM reads the stream of data, figures out the feedback signals and similar and basically recreates the persona in a TM compatible form...

im pulling this out of my ass btw nyahnyah.gif
cetiah
QUOTE (Spike)
Yeah... without memory, where does your Icon load to? eek.gif

I don't want to get into a long debate about it. I'll present an opinion for you to consider, though, in reply to this response: There is no connection in RAW describing exactly where or how a node is stored. That is, while we use terms like 'comlink's node' and such, and devices are all associated with a node, the node itself is basically data. Shadowrun goes through a lot of effort to leave the concept of where and how data is stored vague. A technomancer's node might simply mean he can access storage areas in the matrix and reserve them in much the same way that a comlink is sometimes referred to as a dumb interface or thin client by posters on these forums. Even the hacker technically has no "storage memory" to worry about... storage is abundant and limitless. Physically that storage can be distributed over millions of other computers and devices with millions of redundant packets, but from the hacker/technomancer's perspective it's all one node.

Or we can just assume his whole OS is stored on his mp3 player if you prefer.
cetiah
The trouble with tying this to Technomancers, is there are no programs or files in their 'commlink' to hack into, just a persona and the ability of the TM to talk to all those devices himself.

Thus my opinion: you can't hack a technomancer, just the hardware he's talking to independently. You can crash him, but that's it.

Comlinks are described as a router for your personal area network, but I don't see why a technomancer's Matrix-aspected brain couldn't also function as a similiar router, providing a node that must be hacked to get to the PAN in a similiar method as the comlink. You probably right about it not storing programs. Although a 'living persona' should still be able to load them from the PAN, shouldn't it?
ThatSzechuan
On a semi-related note for you GMs out there, how often should a runner need to spoof their ID to keep them relatively safe? I ask because of a series of events last night:

I had a runner spoof their ID before they left home. They then got onto a bus, walked to the site of the run, completed the run, then took another bus to another slummy area of town. After they got off the bus, they turned off their PAN. The runner then walked several blocks to a park, found an out of the way area to dig out a toolkit and reset their ID back to default, walked to another bus stop, rode to their home block, turned on their legit PAN, got groceries, and went to their apartment. As far as any automatic scanners are concerned, the runner was in their apartment all night except for when they stepped out for milk and eggs.

I didn't throw any curveballs this time because these were newer players, but really, how much is enough, and how easily can people trace this sort of activity? If the runner was one of maybe three people to get on the bus, then the aID is already only linked to those three people. A regular old beat cop could figure out how to narrow this down.

This happens a lot when I GM; I can't imagine any reasonably intelligent or well-designed system to be exploitable like this, even with fake IDs or spoofing. *shrug*

Comments?
cetiah
QUOTE (ThatSzechuan @ Feb 12 2007, 04:30 PM)
On a semi-related note for you GMs out there, how often should a runner need to spoof their ID to keep them relatively safe? I ask because of a series of events last night:

I had a runner spoof their ID before they left home. They then got onto a bus, walked to the site of the run, completed the run, then took another bus to another slummy area of town. After they got off the bus, they turned off their PAN. The runner then walked several blocks to a park, found an out of the way area to dig out a toolkit and reset their ID back to default, walked to another bus stop, rode to their home block, turned on their legit PAN, got groceries, and went to their apartment. As far as any automatic scanners are concerned, the runner was in their apartment all night except for when they stepped out for milk and eggs.

I didn't throw any curveballs this time because these were newer players, but really, how much is enough, and how easily can people trace this sort of activity? If the runner was one of maybe three people to get on the bus, then the aID is already only linked to those three people. A regular old beat cop could figure out how to narrow this down.

This happens a lot when I GM; I can't imagine any reasonably intelligent or well-designed system to be exploitable like this, even with fake IDs or spoofing. *shrug*

Comments?

It sounds perfect to me. I don't see the problem. The only real problem I have is that I don't think its really strictly necessary to roleplay each individual step out everytime he wants to spoof his ID in this manner. Just have him create some sort of standard operating procedure (not a game term) of what his character is doing and assume that's happening behind the scenes unless something differs. Shadowrunners having bizzare routines like this are effective, they make sense, and they're pretty good roleplaying... especially if each shadowrunner has different routines.

I'm very pro-GM and pretty harsh in interpreting what player ideas "should just work because they make sense" but I really don't see the problem here. I even love the idea that he stashed his toolkit and buried it in a certain spot in the park. Some people hide money, some jewels, some shrunken heads... he buries tools. To each his own.
ThatSzechuan
Well, she actually kept the kit with her in her pack this time, as it was a very light run and she had more than enough space. I don't personally have a problem with the M.O. the runner used; I just wanted to get some opinions on how the spoofing process could/should work.
Spike
I have to disagree, Cet...

I see a node as inextricably linked to a peice of hardware. If it's capable of WiFi communication, it's a node. You seem to see nodes as some sort of matrix contstuct only.

Coffee machine with WiFi and attendant memory/processing power? It's a node, check.

Gun with WiFi and processing power? Node, got it.

Data construct floating int eh matrix without attendant hardware? Not a node... might be a TM thingy, but not a node.

corporate nodes with paydata are going to going to be more like Commlinks in design, only probably not nearly as portable. I'm thinking for most 'workstations' you'd have a device that resembles those 'new' Macs.. just a little box not much bigger than the CD that plugs into hardware for display, input devices and power.... only most of the plugs would be WiFi connections, and instead of CD's it'd have slots for optical chips. The wageslave links to it from his commlink, either at his desk or from home (or anywhere his wireless will be able to hopscotch from) and uses his own personal interface. If we continue the RAW decentralized system, each workstation is an independent node, all linked into a massively interconnected 'Web', but if you want old school, somewhere in the building is a central 'Server' node and datastore that contains all the IC programs in memory, along with the real paydata. It's linked to a few high level workstations, who then link to the next tier of workstations, all the way down to the janitor's workstation where he checks on the last time the furnace was cleaned or some such.

Nodes like the coffee machine and the vending machine are only peripherally linked in, subscribed to by authorized workstations and hopscotched through the network so when Joe Wageslave needs a refil, it's waiting for him when he gets there... rather than him having to subscribe to every vendor in the building on his personal commlink.

But the important detail: Nodes are linked inextricably to hardware.
cetiah
I see a node as inextricably linked to a peice of hardware. If it's capable of WiFi communication, it's a node. You seem to see nodes as some sort of matrix contstuct only.

I don't see why virtual nodes would be so impossible/impractical. Anyway... on to ThatSzechuan's topic of spoofing IDs...
Spike
Well, the Matrix isn't astral space after all. All that software does have to run somewhere. While a sort of multi-hardware supernode probably isn't very broken at all (and may even make sense) purely virtual constructs are more magic than science... and that's technomancer talk there.

Now, extrapolate Shadowrun a hundred years down the line and the difference between the matrix and astral space COULD very well be that weak, and mages and technomancers are one in the same...

But that implies that the matrix is rebuilt using orichalcum etc and magic is hardwired into it all along the way. it'd be cool, but its not where we are at now in the setting, and free roaming software constructs without underlying hardware to support them is sort of... magic.
cetiah
QUOTE (Spike @ Feb 12 2007, 06:08 PM)
Well, the Matrix isn't astral space after all. All that software does have to run somewhere. While a sort of multi-hardware supernode probably isn't very broken at all (and may even make sense) purely virtual constructs are more magic than science... and that's technomancer talk there.

Now, extrapolate Shadowrun a hundred years down the line and the difference between the matrix and astral space COULD very well be that weak, and mages and technomancers are one in the same...

But that implies that the matrix is rebuilt using orichalcum etc and magic is hardwired into it all along the way.  it'd be cool, but its not where we are at now in the setting, and free roaming software constructs without underlying hardware to support them is sort of... magic.

Nope. It's technology today. And used in many, many businesses. Hell, even Microsoft has server technology that allows it now. You can't make a virtual computer through distributed processing/data storage/memory as far as I know, but Shadowrun already overcame those technological limits. If you have a combined infinite processing/storage/memory, there's no reason you couldn't have as many virtual nodes as you wanted. You could even run virtual CD players, output to a virtual monitor, etc.
hobgoblin
You can't make a virtual computer through distributed processing/data storage/memory as far as I know

isnt that basically a clustering setup?

is in, the kind of computing setup used to do weather, proteins or a whole lot of other stuff...

i see i realy need to do a write up of my thinking about the matrix and its construction. but those seems to be all over the place these days...

there is also this os if you realy want to go wobble.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs
bclements
isnt that basically a clustering setup?

Not really. It's quite practically feasable now to seperate the storage memory (hard disk) from main memory (RAM) and processor. SAN's are built around this.

is in, the kind of computing setup used to do weather, proteins or a whole lot of other stuff...

The Folding setup (and SETI's client) are what is commonly thought of as 'distrubuted computing'; it's basicially a client that's loaded up, processes some cycles, and uploads the information to a central repository, last time I checked.

there is also this os if you realy want to go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs
There's a lot of absolute shit I can lay at Ma Bell's feet, but that Bell Labs used to be a 'pure research, go to Columbia if you want to learn quantum physics if ya wanna' comes pretty close to redeeming it. Stuff like this, that probably won't even be looked at seriously for awhile, is just another thing.
hobgoblin
the point i was trying to make was that even a cluster or similar will appear as a single "node" outwards if set up correctly.

think about a cluster set up with something similar to plan9. when the hacker gets into the front end computer the rest of the "node" will fold out before him. he would be accessing storage and processing thats on the other side of the building, or maybe nation, but as long as the lag isnt to bad one will hardly notice as the interface is the same all across the node.

he may pick up on the fact when running analyze on some icon, but for all practical use he dont care as his access rights will be the same anyways...

this is why when SR4 first came out i formulated my physical/logical split.

the node is a logical construct that can be a 1:1 representation of a physical device but does not have to be.
bclements
the node is a logical construct that can be a 1:1 representation of a physical device but does not have to be.

Oh, definatly in agreement there, and I'll be so bold as to say that Unwired may have such a statement in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012