Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A [i]REALLY[/i] big gun...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
bibliophile20
I had an idea, inspired by both this thread and a Spiderman novel that I read once:

Alright, so the runners are hired to go and "liberate" a prototype from an Ares research lab; the prototype is a weapon that looks like a bazooka with a glandular problem and is a prototype energy weapon that has several settings next to the battery gauge: Standard, Pencil-cutter, Heavy Blast, Street Sweeper, and the final setting: Leave No Evidence.

The battery has 50 charges, and if the runners decide that they want to fire the weapon:
The Standard setting is an energy blast that acts like a normal shot: it does 8P damage and has a AP of half-Impact armor; it takes one charge from the battery.

The Pencil-cutter is a thin energy beam that, while somewhat difficult to use in combat, can cut through barriers with great ease, doing 30P damage per meter section of the barrier every combat turn to a barrier, which means that a 2-1/2 meter troll could cut himself a doorway in concrete in about half a minute. It takes 1 charge every 2 combat turns.

The Heavy Blast is an overpowered Standard Blast; it takes 2 charges from the battery and does 18P damage and takes two combat turns to charge.

The Streetsweeper is the shotgun mode for the gun, and does 6P damage to any targets within 5 meters of each other at 20 meters. It takes 2 charges and 2 combat turns to charge.

Leave No Evidence combines the power of the pencil-cutter with the blast of the Heavy Blast and the area of the Street Sweeper: it does 40P damage to anything caught within the blast area--a 35 degree cone--and takes 20 charges and 4 combat turns to fully charge. Additionally, the character must roll 1d6: on a roll of 1 or 6, the gun has fried itself and the internal components have fused, rendering the gun useless. Johnson will not be happy.

~*~

Whaddaya think? BTW, the Spidy book in question was the Time's Arrow trilogy from a few years back; supposedly the gun could "shoot through a '57 Chevy lengthwise".
Garrowolf
OKay so you have a BFG. And.....?
bibliophile20
It was an idea--one that I can't use at the moment--for a run against Ares; steal the prototype BFG and, if they decide to see what "Leave No Evidence" does... ^_^ well, they have that available.

Besides, as a BFG, it looks like it would be a nice toy... biggrin.gif and, if I ever do get around to doing a run with this, I would definitely make the security sufficient to the point where they would have to use it to escape.

Plus, I had to get the idea out of my head before I went even more nuts than I already am, and some critique on the BFG would let me know if the rise in my II (Insanity Index) was worth it. smile.gif

So? Critiques on the BFG and the potential run set around it?
cetiah
My players are currently having problems with street gangs arming themselves with "toastmasters" from a mysterious supplier. The idea is ripped off from the Superman comics, just after his death.
ShadowDragon
Pencil-cutter needs a better name. Sculptor, chisel, blowtorch; all better names IMO. You also need to add more crunch to this setting because right now it looks like the best option for anything - 30P for half a charge? How exactly is it hard to use in combat?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Pencil-cutter needs a better name. Sculptor, chisel, blowtorch; all better names IMO. You also need to add more crunch to this setting because right now it looks like the best option for anything - 30P for half a charge? How exactly is it hard to use in combat?

Hmmm... maybe change it to 30P against barriers and only 2P against people? It is a cutting laser after all, so it would cauterize the wound... hmmm... or maybe have it so that instead of being a pencil beam, it's an expanding crescent that needs to be held up against the surface to make any significant cut, which would reduce its range and therefore its utility in combat.
The Jopp
Range.

Seriously. The pencil cutter sounds very much like a cutting beam and should have a very limited range, say 1-5 meters.

yea, it becomes a very good close combat weapon though.
Pyritefoolsgold
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Range.

Seriously. The pencil cutter sounds very much like a cutting beam and should have a very limited range, say 1-5 meters.

yea, it becomes a very good close combat weapon though.

Nothing the size of a bazooka should be any good in close combat. It is way too difficult to keep your enemy in front of the beam, and that's if they don't think to grab on to it.
Garrowolf
personally it seems too high tech for the setting.

I found a weapon in a list of 1001 scifi weapons that I thought was perfect. Basically it is a dispossible gun that was effectively a sheild around your hand, and a stack of claymores. They have no aimming to them. They are just a type of scattergun. You threw them away after one use (it alll went off together). Everything in front was shredded.

You would give these to gangers. Those that survived their first few fights were given something better that could actually reload. They were designed with third world countries militia armies in mind. Why give a reusable valuable gun to somebody that isn't probably going to survive anyway?
Trigger
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
personally it seems too high tech for the setting.

I found a weapon in a list of 1001 scifi weapons that I thought was perfect. Basically it is a dispossible gun that was effectively a sheild around your hand, and a stack of claymores. They have no aimming to them. They are just a type of scattergun. You threw them away after one use (it alll went off together). Everything in front was shredded.

You would give these to gangers. Those that survived their first few fights were given something better that could actually reload. They were designed with third world countries militia armies in mind. Why give a reusable valuable gun to somebody that isn't probably going to survive anyway?

I like that.....I can see some gangers in one of my games having some of these biggrin.gif
kzt
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
It is a cutting laser after all, so it would cauterize the wound... hmmm...

High energy lasers turn the water in your tissues into steam, so you get a steam explosion as the superheated steam explosively expands. I sort of doubt it would be clean at all.
cetiah
QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 12 2007, 03:44 AM)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 11 2007, 10:41 PM)
It is a cutting laser after all, so it would cauterize the wound...  hmmm...

High energy lasers turn the water in your tissues into steam, so you get a steam explosion as the superheated steam explosively expands. I sort of doubt it would be clean at all.

I'm not aware if laser wounds cause steam at all. I mean they must since they work by vaporizing cells, but I'm not sure if such vaporization could be called "unclean".

But I think "clean" is a pretty decent way to describe a wounding process that results in no bleeding, less bruising and swelling, and less pain for the victim.
kzt
QUOTE (cetiah)
But I think "clean" is a pretty decent way to describe a wounding process that results in no bleeding, less bruising and swelling, and less pain for the victim.

Comparing a surgical laser used by an expert to a high-powered combat laser is roughly akin to comparing having a wart removed with liquid nitrogen by a dermatologist and having a bucket of liquid nitrogen thrown in your face.

An interesting note on bad things that can happen with surgical lasers: "As a result, the Nd:YAG laser produces a thermal effect several millimeters below the tissue surface, conferring excellent coagulating ability but poor precision. This property of the Nd:YAG is potentially dangerous if the underlying tissue heats and explodes, producing a "popcorn effect.""
Thanee
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
The Standard setting is an energy blast that acts like a normal shot: it does 8P damage and has a AP of half-Impact armor; it takes one charge from the battery.

The Heavy Blast is an overpowered Standard Blast; it takes 2 charges from the battery and does 18P damage and takes two combat turns to charge.

The Heavy Blast should only do 12P damage. Makes no sense, that it only uses twice the energy but is able to deal more than twice the damage.

If they could reliably do this, the Standard Blast would surely do more damage, as it will be the most economic setting, meaning you get the most out of the energy you put in.

Same with all the other settings, the Standard Blast should have the best damage to energy-usage ratio.

Bye
Thanee
lorechaser
QUOTE (Thanee)
The Heavy Blast should only do 12P damage. Makes no sense, that it only uses twice the energy but is able to deal more than twice the damage.

Agreed.

Compare it to bursts - adding more bullets has a much smaller effect than shooting someone twice, but it's delivered all at once.

The cutting laser should indeed have a range of effectively "Touch" and be pretty much impossible to use in combat (combination of "Seriously?" and "Balance handwave").
djinni
QUOTE (Thanee)

because it takes fifty times longer to "power up"
in about a 1/4 of a second you can fire a regular blast, so in 6 seconds a street sam could fire 16 regular blasts
however he can only fire one heavy blast...
energy consumption is lost due to speed, but during a "power up" it is conserved with time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012