Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disguise Adept Powers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
IvanTank
I have come up with the following adept powers for aiding disguises

Body Sculpting ( .25 points per rating )
At rating 1, the character can adjust their height by .3 meters in either direction, and their apparent weight by 20 kg in either direction. At rating 2, the character can adjust their height by .5 meters, their apparent weight by 40 kg, and change their apparent gender. A character in melee combat with someone disguised in such a manner will have a free intuition + perception test to detect the disguise, since the characters actual weight does not change, only his effective weight. Also, the apparent gender change will not hold up to any ‘in depth’ investigation.

Melanin control (ratings 2 & 3, .25 points per rating)
Rating 2 allows the character to adjust their skin/eye color throughout the entire spectrum of their meta-types. Rating 3 allows the character to adjust their skin/eye color to any color, including specific areas, effectively allowing tattoos to appear.

Fingerprint manipulation (.25 points)
Allows a character to shift their fingerprints to another fingerprint pattern, including blank. A character can create a new fingerprint pattern using a intuition+disguise( 3, 1 hour) test, can copy a fingerprint pattern with an intuition+disguise(6, 1 hour) if he has the hands of the fingerprint he is trying to copy, or with an intuition+disguise(10, 1 hour) if working based upon an image of a fingerprint. A character can have a total of (intuition) fingerprints memorized at one time, ‘blank’ and natural fingerprints are free. It takes a character 5 combat turns to shift the fingerprint pattern.

Hair Control (.25 points)
Allows a character to character to change hair color, cause the characters hair to grow or shrink at a rate of 1 inch per combat round, and control other cosmetic features of the hair.

What do you think?
IvanTank
Change Melanin Control to this

Melanin Control Rating 2 ( .5 point per rating)
Allows a character to adjust their eye/skin color to any color, and allow the creation of tattoos.
cristomeyers
Fingerprint control is the only one of those that I see getting any real use. Body sculpt, maybe. All the others can be duplicated rather effectively with cosmetics and/or basic disguises.
IvanTank
But when making a get-a-way, you might not have time for normal disguises. Very useful for maintaining multiple identities. The authorities might get suspicious when (fake) SINs A and B have the same photo, fingerprints, description, whatever...
cristomeyers
True enough, hence the maybe classification. I do think that Body Sculpt is undercosted though. Being able to completely change your apparent gender is worth a full point to me. That's almost a full "get out of chase free" card.

It's good stuff though, just needs a little tweaking that I'm not really qualified to give. I don't make the rules, I just play them.
Kyoto Kid
...I believe hair colour is already covered under Melanin Control. However I like the ability to adjust the length and texture.

Body Sculpting. Now for KK4.3 that would be worth the 34 karma it would take to initiate & raise her MA to 7.

GM...you listening...?
Ophis
melanin control includes control of hair colour. Though control of curliness etc would be good.
IvanTank
I guess I should have mentioned that body sculpt does not affect the face, since there already is a facial sculpt power. Thus, to truly change your apparent gender, you would likely need both body sculpt and facial sculpt.
IvanTank
I thought melanin control might have controlled that, don't have my book on me. Then hair control would be mostly good for changing length and texture. Or should this one be added in with something else, like body sculpt maybe?
IvanTank
I came up with these powers when thinking about what would be good for my "Former Tir Spy" social adept. I was looking at the limitations of facial sculpting and melanin control, and figure out how to create advanced versions that would be useful for better disguises.

I was thinking about another power, similar to the fingerprint one but for retinal patterns for fooling maglocks. However, this seemed a bit far fetched for me... What do you guys think?
bibliophile20
At this point you might as well have a package deal instead of all of the various individual powers.

Here:

Face Dancer: Cost 1 per level
The character may adjust any aspect of his body, including apparent height and weight to within 10% of natural; hair, eye and skin color, as per the Melanin control adept power (SM 178); facial features, fingerprints and retinal patterns and vocal patterns and apparent gender. The character must make a Magic + Face Dancer (Degree of change) test for each feature shifted, with the duration of the change being (Magic) hours.
cetiah
I think all of this can be pretty much summed up in one power at various power levels. It wouldn't actually change who/what you were, just your appearance. Astral perception, for example, would still reveal the real you.

At rating 1, you could make one cosmetic change like hair, eyes, skin, etc.

At rating 2, you could alter multiple aspects of your appearance with cosmetic changes.

At rating 3, you could even alter your apparent gender or metahuman type.

At rating 4, you could do more than general cosmetic changes -- you can alter your appearance (plus voice, mannerisms, etc.) to mimick another person. You're basically Mystique.

At rating 5, you could alter your appearance to resemble another living critter of approximately the same mass. You do not gain any game mechanical or statistical advantages. You're still limited to your normal walking speed, climbing skill, senses, etc. You could be a "talking" critter if you want to. (Alternatively: plants can be substituted for critters.)

At rating 6, you may change into any simple physical object of approximately the same mass. If you become an inanimate object, you may not move or talk but may percieve around you normally. You may function as a basic item of that type. You may also turn into a two-dimension image and press yourself against a wall. (Alternatively: You may "meld into objects' instead. It has roughly the same effect except you do not become a new object.)

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (IvanTank @ Feb 12 2007, 04:44 PM)
I guess  I should have mentioned that body sculpt does not affect the face, since there already is a facial sculpt power.  Thus, to truly change your apparent gender, you would likely need both body sculpt and facial sculpt.

...KK4.3 already has the Facial Sculpt (along with Disguise skill) & Melanin Control powers.

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
At this point you might as well have a package deal instead of all of the various individual powers.

...I think they should also remain as individual powers (along with the existing ones in the BBB & Street Magic). For one when initiation & Increasing MA come into the equation, 1 PP per level is a pretty hefty expenditure, considering the Karma investment. Also some characters may only want to have only one or two disguise powers instead of burning most of their PP on getting everything at once.
QUOTE (cetiah)
I think all of this can be pretty much summed up in one power at various power levels. It wouldn't actually change who/what you were, just your appearance. Astral perception, for example, would still reveal the real you.

...the last two rating levels border more on the Shapechanger Metatype and Physical Manipulation Spells. I don't see these as really fitting the concept of the an adept.
IvanTank
QUOTE (cristomeyers)
True enough, hence the maybe classification. I do think that Body Sculpt is undercosted though. Being able to completely change your apparent gender is worth a full point to me. That's almost a full "get out of chase free" card.

It's good stuff though, just needs a little tweaking that I'm not really qualified to give. I don't make the rules, I just play them.

Remember that body sculpt does not change the clothes you are wearing, so unless you are wearing some unisex leotard, people will be suspicious when you are wearing clothes that just don't fit right at all in the chest area.
Aaron
QUOTE (IvanTank)

Allows a character to adjust their eye/skin color to any color, and allow the creation of tattoos.

Although the tattoos could only be shades of red and brown, since that's the only type of melanin in skin. Unless one is a trog, I suppose.
IvanTank
QUOTE (Aaron @ Feb 13 2007, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (IvanTank @ Feb 12 2007, 04:31 PM)

Although the tattoos could only be shades of red and brown, since that's the only type of melanin in skin. Unless one is a trog, I suppose.

Eye color is determined by melanin, and it is now limited to shades of red and brown.

Besides, at this level I am assuming ALL colors are available. Violet skin is popular among club goers, and blue skin is popular among Las Vegas performers
nathanross
I like the thinking of body sculpt and was thinking of a way to make such a body/shape change. I forget the exact name of the criminal, but in SOTA: 2064, one of the top 10 criminals of 2063 can supposedly change appearance completely. I think that this level of somatic manipulation should cost A LOT. If not also require a metamagic.

I do however think that there should be another level of melanin control that allows colorations outside of race, and by race I mean, Caucasian, African, Asian, Indigenous American. Since each have their own unique skin pigmentation. And above that, there should be exotic skin pigmentations like green, purple, blue, orange, etc. Though these would be first level for races like the Night Ones. After that, maybe, just maybe... you could rationize localized color changes.

To address KK's feelings, I think that all physical manipulation should be allowed for adepts as that is the nature of their magic. Ive been thinking about some water/diving/swimming related new adept powers. Also, why cant adepts fly? I think there should be a power for that, even if it costs around 10 power points. While almost anything can be done with adepts, I feel that most of the powerful, unbalancing powers should be prohibitively expensive. Dont even get me started on Immortality.
IvanTank
QUOTE (nathanross)
Dont even get me started on Immortality.

What, you mean they haven't invented a cure for aging yet?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nathanross)
To address KK's feelings, I think that all physical manipulation should be allowed for adepts as that is the nature of their magic. Ive been thinking about some water/diving/swimming related new adept powers. Also, why cant adepts fly? I think there should be a power for that, even if it costs around 10 power points. While almost anything can be done with adepts, I feel that most of the powerful, unbalancing powers should be prohibitively expensive. Dont even get me started on Immortality.

...I tend to prefer adepts just as they are. In the original Grimoire the basic concept was that of a a mystically augmented martial artist. They were the Jackie Chan/Bruce Lees of the Shadowrun world. Then in SR3 the concept was widened to include the artistic and social realms. Still pretty straightforward since these were for the most part linked to various skills and archetypes (e.g. Rocker, Face)

When the more powerful aspects of manipulations are brought in, They cease being adepts and become something else (like shapechangers or even "superheroes"). One special type of adept I am experimenting with is the Empath, however they derive thier abilities from another source than magic and in a sense, are a new archetype of character altogether.

I find the new disguise powers in this thread are pretty cool and I wouldn't mind having them available in the campaigns I participate in (I will be allowing them when I GM). I would tone down the height/mass adjustment for body scuplting to something like 10% of the characters normal ht & wt per level (1/3 metre is just over 1 English measure foot).

nathanross
Yeah, but at how much? My fox shaman would LOOOVE body sculpt, but it just makes things SOOOOOO easy. Body size and build are the number one limiting factor on imposter adept powers. If with as little as .25 pts per level, Id take at least 8 levels, just because it is a flawless disguise. Where Mask can still be seen through by anyone astral, for this they'd have to find out that the character is magical, and know that the person isnt. Maybe this wouldnt be as easy as Im thinking, but I can see some serious issues. I still think that this should be Metamagic or at least cant be learned until some new Metamagic is learned.
Kyoto Kid
...I am looking at the following:

Body Sculpt .5 per level (maximum 3 levels)

Body sculpt allows the adept to alter her height by +/-5% and weight by +/-10% per level. Like facial sculpt it adds it's level in dice to Disguise tests. Clothes and gear are not altered by this power.
nathanross
What about conservation of mass? I think true weight should not change, but the appearance of weight (density) should change. Also KK, what about apparent sex. Can a male character grow breasts? Can a character change their genitalia? Or would these be reserved for magical spells?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (nathanross)
Can a male character grow breasts? Can a character change their genitalia?

Man, ever since Bob said he was learning some new abilities he's never available for runs anymore. He always says he's busy. What do you think he's doing? Guys, I think we're going to have to find ourselves a new Adept.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012