Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentor spirit bonus question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
limejello10512
okay the krauts screwed up their writing. They never explained whether +2 X, +2Y means: +2 x OR +2y or +2x AND +2y. DO you get both or do you have to choose between the ","
SinN
This makes absolutley no sense. Try again man.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (limejello10512)
okay the krauts screwed up their writing. They never explained whether +2 X, +2Y means: +2 x OR +2y or +2x AND +2y. DO you get both or do you have to choose between the ","

question.gif
Lady Door
I'm sorry.. what? I'm not sure I understand the question. Could you clarify please?
SinN
Okay, I've read this 4 times now.....and I still have no friggin idea what this says. Can someone throw me a bone?
Butterblume
If I understand correctly, it's AND, because it's obviously an enumeration. But I don't know what we krauts have to do with it.

And I think it isn't political correct to call krauts krauts anymore biggrin.gif.
Ryu
I feel ashamed - I actually understand what he is asking.

I will say that our writing was not screwed up (minor mistakes were made) and that the mentor spirit section never caused any problem in our group, excepting balance issues.
Ophis
I think i get it having seen the Martyr thread.

The standard set up for SR4 mentor spirits works like this...

Positive : +2 to one spell catargory/skill/specific attribute test AND +2 to one spirit type/skill/specific attribute test/specific "secondary" magical skill test (counterspelling/binding/ritual/banishing/assensing)

Negative : One of -1 to a spell/spirit catagory; a "In this situation must resist this action" type of problem resisted with will+cha(3); Berzerking; or a 10 point flaw (ie eagle get allergy pollution mild).

There you go.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Butterblume)
And I think it isn't political correct to call krauts krauts anymore biggrin.gif.

pfft. Next you're going to tell me that they're not all Nazis, too.
wink.gif

Please take this in the good-natured manner it was intended. I may be an American, but I'm not that ignorant.
Kagetenshi
Nope. All Sozis.

~J

NB: not serious.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Feb 14 2007, 04:05 AM)

pfft. Next you're going to tell me that they're not all Nazis, too.
wink.gif

Please take this in the good-natured manner it was intended. I may be an American, but I'm not that ignorant.

There are some things that offend my patriotic side, this is not one of them.

We have to live with our past. I actually didn't knew my own grandma was a nazi until a few years after her death (she was especially proud of her mother's cross in silver, one child more, and she would have made gold). My Father grew up in Nazi Germany and still hates Jews, Polish and Russians. I can understand the hatred of the polish and russians, since the family lived in a part of germany that now is poland, and was 'liberated' by russians. There were some bad experiences...

The biggest racist fascist bastard I personally know is an american, btw. But to be honest, he emigrated from germany to the US.

It warmed my heart when twenty thousand people sang our national anthem at the handball world cup. Before last year, that wouldn't have been possible.
BishopMcQ
Krauts, by which I take it the original poster means Germans. It would appear that there is a linguistic challenge in the translation.

Generally in English, comma separated values are considered inclusive in a list unless "or" is explicitly stated creating an exclusive listing. I believe the same structure follows in Germanic and Romance languages.

Or as was posted above, you get both unless you are told otherwise.
Wounded Ronin
Apparently, it wasn't just the "krauts" who screwed up their writing. The original poster did, too.
limejello10512
wow talk about over reacting...thanks for understing how the word krouts was intended(to those who did), it's a shame how political correctness has killed the worlds sense of humor (i'm actually german myself, and itallian irish and spanish...so I can make all the drinking and spagetti jokes I want too.. and uh lets see what do spanish people do? nyahnyah.gif)

anyway I say krouts because fanpro is a german company and that section was CLEARLY flawed... It says some mentors require you to select between powers and starts throwing in random comas without telling you what they mean They could be either AND or OR do you get both powers or choose? Though now that I come to think about it they probably hired american writers to rewrite the book in which case I suppose we screwed up...but if the german book also lacks this example then it wasn't our fault.

thanks ophis^_^ :thumbs up:

and BTW my post was flawless ...FLAWLESS!! and x and y is faster than writing every example too.
FrankTrollman
OK, I think I know what the complaint is...

Is this in reference to the Mentor Spirits in Street Magic? If so, the comma seperates things in a list that you get every part of if you follow that mentor. For example: the Adversary grants you +2 dice for Manipulation spells and it grants you +2 dice to (Counterspelling or Banishing).

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012