Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reusing lost essence
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ted Stewart
I seem to remember SR3 allowing you to have cyberware removed, and then reusing the essence back. You couldn't actually have your essence heal itself, but you could then use the regained essence to put in new 'ware.

I can't find this anywhere in SR4, and that worries me, mostly because it removes the possibility of upgrades. Can somebody toss me a page reference?

As a secondary question: Can you have cybereyes and standalone eyeware? I'd like to have legal cybereyes with an alphaware smartlink tied to the optic nerve behind it. The idea is to have somebody with a cyberware scanner catch the legit eyes, and stop scanning for the restricted ware right behind them.

Not to mention that it's a LOT cheaper than alphaing the cybereyes an everything in them. And not really any more essence intensive since it lets me step down a rating in eyes.
Jack Kain
I can't recall the passage but say you have rating 2 alphaware wired reflexs
2.4 essence if you have them removed you get a 2.4 essence whole to fill in with new ware.

Not sure about hte second question but I ask why? Smartlink if Restricted not F, just get a fake license. Also I'm not sure if the scanner can detect exactly what is in the eye. (assuming you shut off the smartlink when not in use)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ted Stewart)
Can you have cybereyes and standalone eyeware?

No.
Thanee
It doesn't say anything about this (have to wait for Augmentation to resolve this issue, I guess).

You have to be able to 'fill in the holes' left by removing cyber-/bioware, though, before you lose further Essence. Otherwise the system won't really work (well).

Bye
Thanee
Butterblume
QUOTE (Ted Stewart)
I seem to remember SR3 allowing you to have cyberware removed, and then reusing the essence back.  You couldn't actually have your essence heal itself, but you could then use the regained essence to put in new 'ware.

I can't find this anywhere in SR4, and that worries me, mostly because it removes the possibility of upgrades.  Can somebody toss me a page reference?

Unlikely, because it's not in the rules. Right now it's a much used houserule, but I think Augmentation will have rules for removing cyberware.
Eleazar
Is cyberware upgraded by replacing it or do you have the base cyberware installed and then have upgrades and updates done to that base cyberware that is already installed and in place?
Thanee
Nobody can really tell you that right now. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Eleazar
If that the case then, for the simple ease of use I think I will run it by upgrading the cyberware that is in place and have the upgrade pro-rated. I guess the same would go for bioware too.
Ted Stewart
Well, that's poorly edited then. I guess that stems from the entire book being too long. *Sigh* Stupid repetition of identical data.

Jack: Having a fake license is good, but not getting caught in the first place and having the license as a backup is better.

That said, it probably a moot point for my character. The gyro mount is what's going to get him in trouble, since it is F regardless, and I really want to make his cyberhand obvious for RP purposes.

Don't you hate it when in-depth roleplaying interferes with twinkery? smile.gif

Now that I think on it: cyberware sniffers detect the flow of energy in cyberware, so if I leave the gyro turned off until I need it, it shouldn't be detectable barrind somebody actually taking apart my cyberhand.
Sir_Psycho
Just rememeber when you're whipping things out to put better things in, don't forget to make a tidy little second-hand ware profit!
KarmaInferno
Heck, if you're not the one getting the upgrades, a few extra nuyen to the doc doing the operation can mean a LOT of extra second-hand 'ware to fence. Plus organs!

Also means one less team-mate, though.

I found where I read the passage on the rules of the essence hole.

Its from the shadowrun missions FAQ, the FAQ for the shadowrun missions
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/missions/srm_f...q.shtml#cyber02

Cyberware & Bioware

Can I upgrade my cyberware?
Presuming that the item in question has not been damaged, you may sell back cyberware for a flat 25% of its retail value (book price; taking into account alpha or beta mark-up, if any) when upgrading cyberware. Remember, if you upgrade from 3 points of "normalware" to the equivalent in alpha grade, the alpha only takes 2.4 Essence points off, but you DON'T get the excess back-- you simply have a 0.6 point "hole" which can be filled with something else at no further Essence cost until the "hole" is exceeded.

For what ever reason it never added to the official FAQ.

The missions are found here
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/missions/downloads/
Now I say if it applies to that free campaign. It can be safely applied to all campaigns until augmentation comes out with the clear set of rules.
FrankTrollman
The fact that your Essence holes can be refilled with new cyberware is derivable from the fact that going from having more cyberware to more bioware doesn't completely screw you.

Your Essence loss gets recalculated every ttime you install new ware, and your Essence only goes down if the current Essence loss exceeds the total amount you've paid (and it doesn't goup at all).

-Frank
WhiskeyMac
Cyberware scanners only detect upgrades in an eye, ear or other cyberware if it's on right? SR2 and SR3 both said that guards couldn't tell what you had in your cybereye unless you left it on. What about RFID tags on the upgrades? Could you make your cybereye appear to be a bottom of the line style eye but really be a SOTA Delta grade cybereye?
Garrowolf
There is a new device called a T-wave scanner. It can take a fast snap shot CAT scan type scan of a person and detect ANY unusual density. It is being designed as a smart airport security system. I think that cyberware scanners would be based on this. It could read exactly what you have. Then the trick isn't that you don't or do have a cyberhand but that you hide illegal upgrades in the works of legal cyberware.

I know that this can potentially alter the power of shadowrun because it is so easy to detect. I limit them to security areas you are walking through. I also make more of my cyberware in my game removeable so you could hot swap a weak cyberhand for a tricked out one once you sneak in.

A new tech in my games is a sensor cloak that is wrapped around the cyberware. It blocks the normal signal but then gives an active return looking like a more basic artificial limb.

I also use this as a reason that mostly cyberware has become old school. Gangers use the cheap stuff and spec ops use the expensive stuff. Bioware has replaced the role now because it doesn't set off as many alarms so people don't realize something is up.
Ravor
Well in SR3 I jammed more cyber then my eyes would handle by paying the extra Essense so personally I'd allow it with the exception that the Drone could only use the implants paid for with Capacy and not Essence.

However, I wouldn't allow your trick to work as the Cyber Scanner would also pick up the strange mass behind your Cybereye, and in fact would be more likely to cause an alarm because it would register as strange...

But then again, the way I run things, your ware is only nit-picked at in the most anal of security zones, provided that it isn't something that just screams 'arrest me', especially something as common as Cybereyes/ears...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012