Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aaron
The subject of house rules have come up a bunch. I'm curious as to what y'all use.

Ja, Serbitar, ich habe dein SHP gelesen. =)

Personally, I only use two. I apply cover modifiers as a bonus to the target rather than a penalty to the shooter (I don't think that a ganger ducking behind a garbage truck should make your EX ammo more likely to explode), and I apply Initiative penalties to the dice pool, rather than the result (cuz it's easier).

I'm considering changing the range modifiers from -0/-1/-2/-3 to -0/-1/-3/-6, but I haven't decided yet.

Discussion?
Garrowolf
Why not apply cover and range as a threshold instead? It would reflect the difficulty of the shot.

I'm not understanding the Initiative penaly house rule. Could you restate?
ShadowDragon
I use tons of houserules. Most of it is to modify it to work better with grid based combat, or areas that are lacking (IE drug prices), but some of it I just think is a better idea than what Fanpro printed.

I need to update the list. I've held off because right now my campaign is on hold due to schedule conflicts. You can see the unupdated list on my website linked in my sig.
Aaron
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Why not apply cover and range as a threshold instead? It would reflect the difficulty of the shot.

Like make partial +1 Threshold, cover +2, and total +3? Mebbe.

I'm not understanding the Initiative penaly house rule. Could you restate?

Instead of wound penalties subtracting from the Initiative Total (Initiative + hits), it applies as a dice pool penalty to Initiative tests.

Example: George has an Initiative of 10. He rolls Initiative and gets four hits, for an Initiative total of 14. A sammie hits him for three boxes before his turn, adding one wound penalty. Normally, this would drop his Initiative total to 13. Under the system we use, his total wouldn't drop, but his Initiative roll would be affected the next Combat Turn.
Garrowolf
Yes. I was trying to figure out ways to make the kind of penalty or bonus reflect the source. Basically things that are actually hindering the attacker reduce the dice pool. Environmental things that make the shot harder increase the threshold. Things that actually help the defender increase their dice pool.

You have to be careful about thresholds however as they are much more significant then reducing a dice pool by the same amount.

On the initiative roll thing I only have one initiative roll per combat with a few exceptions. Characters can reset their initiative by taking an action to observe the situation and reevaluate.

A house rule that I talked about with a friend by never ended up using was that to not roll initiative. Basically have a base initiative. Roll for surprise with a base threshold of how ready or not ready for a problem you were. If you made the threshold then you went on your base initiative. Whatever you didn't make it by reduced your initiative.

Then critical successes could increase your initiative. A really good roll could put you in a better position next time.
Injuries and going defensive reduced your initiative.

I may still end up using that.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Aaron)
Ja, Serbitar, ich habe dein SHP gelesen. =)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Eleazar
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
I use tons of houserules. Most of it is to modify it to work better with grid based combat, or areas that are lacking (IE drug prices), but some of it I just think is a better idea than what Fanpro printed.

I need to update the list. I've held off because right now my campaign is on hold due to schedule conflicts. You can see the unupdated list on my website linked in my sig.

I looked at your houserules and I really like them. The 20 questions is also a great idea and really helps hash out a new PC. I am eager to see what your updates to the list will be. What I like about these houserules is that they integrate well into the current rules system and do not overly complicate SR4. Please send me a PM or make a forum post when you update your house rule list.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Eleazar)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Feb 18 2007, 11:32 PM)

I looked at your houserules and I really like them. The 20 questions is also a great idea and really helps hash out a new PC. I am eager to see what your updates to the list will be. What I like about these houserules is that they integrate well into the current rules system and do not overly complicate SR4. Please send me a PM or make a forum post when you update your house rule list.

Glad you liked it. Will do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012