Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revenge of the Ninja rooftop showdown
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Yesterday I was doing some internet research on "Revenge of the Ninja" and I learned that the film was shot in Salt Lake City. On the credits, it said special thanks to "American Towers". I went and googled "American Towers" and I found a website for a complex in Salt Lake City which had a picture of the rooftop jacuzzi. By looking at that picture I was able to verify that it's the same "American Towers" where the final scene of "Revenge of the Ninja" was shot. The same distinctive mountain vista is visible in the background, which really brought a tear to my eye. It's nice to know that some things don't really change, even in ~20 years.

http://www.americantowers.org/resource/ima...mages/roof2.jpg

Anyway, I realized that with this information it might be possible to write up the final showdown of Revenge of the Ninja using blueprint maps or something of American Towers as your battlemat. I see it as being a great player versus player physad battle for Shadowrun.

The way I see it, one character would play the role of Cho Osaki and the other of Braden. They should be in seperate rooms, or maybe using IMs to communicate only with the GM. They start out on the badmiton court seiza bowing at each other, and from there on they must attempt to defeat the other character.

Now, the characters could just rush each other and trade hits in the beginning but the characters should be statistically evenly matched so that doing so would be a toss up. A strategic player would try to first evade, secondly get a good Stealth roll, and lastly try to score a surprise hit on the other character so that the other character can only counter with base skill and not pool. Both characters should have 20 boxes of Pain Resistance (since they're powerful ninjas) to keep the one on one match going as long as possible and keeping it as challenging as possible for both players.

This is the way that I see the hiding dynamic going: each time a character tries to hide (i.e. in a jacuzzi, behind opaque cover, etc) they make a Stealth roll, which sets the TN which the other player must beat after using an Observe In Detail action on the location he is attempting to examine in order to detect an enemy. If the player gets a bad roll, he may attempt to hide again only by moving to another location. This will give the players motivation to move around and keep seeking out new hiding places until they get a really good roll. Each time a character moves he makes a small amount of noise which the other player may hear; this rule is designed to discourage running back and forth between two hiding spots repeatedly since it increases the chance that a player will be detected by sound and that he will be in the same place where the sound originated from when the other player closes in.

In order to keep the players from going out of bounds anyone who tries to exit over the side of the building or spends too much time (maybe 2 turns) on the very edge of the building, the national guard and police which have surrounded the building at the ground level will shoot at the offending player with a M24. (SS, 14 S damage, I guess) The basis for this is the theatrical trailer which showed a soldier with what appeared to be a M21 or M24 (I think, but it's hard to tell since the camera was pointing straight down the barrel) battling against one of the ninjas. I think that this was cut from the final film, but it would be a useful mechanic in this player versus player battle.

The only question is how to request a map or blue prints of American Towers. After that, it's just a matter of slapping on a meter grid on the roof to help calculate distances.
Thain
I don't beleive I'll every forgive you for makingme remember that movie... but...

If you just need the rooftop, try Googlemap's sattelite view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012