Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun Player
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fragmintz
Hello. I am new to the Shadowrun game and want to get involved. My introduction to the universe stems from my interest in the upcoming FPS on XBox 360. I am primarily a console gamer, but when I read all the info on the video game forums, the world of Shadowrun seemed so compelling that I went out and bought a 4th Edition Rule Book. I have just read the Character Creation materials, and I am perusing the sample characters. Could you give me some suggestions of what I should be doing to get into a game? I posted my location, and gaming name (Fragmintz) on the map. Also, I am continuing to read the manual (it is a lot to take in). In any case, let me know if anyone is interested in helping me get started. While I don't have a lot of free time, I'd be willing to dedicate a couple hours a week.

Thanks
Butterblume
QUOTE (Fragmintz)
Hello.  I am new to the Shadowrun game and want to get involved.  My introduction to the universe stems from my interest in the upcoming FPS on XBox 360.

Hui, who would have thougt that could happen (the opinion on the computer game is rather low in these parts).

But welcome, you have come to the right place cyber.gif.

We sure will try to help, but you need to find a game for yourself...
Scandalous
I would have to say the best start is reading the history of shadowrun. The best online resource is going to be the Wiki ......I think that youll find groups on the frappr map or meetup map.

as for a person gaining interest in Shadowrun Via the FPS thats interesting....unfortunately I think those Hardcore people such as my self see the FPS as an abomination of SR it is nothing like the Roleplaying game.

HTH
Demerzel
Also if you have a difficult time finding a group of local gamers then you may consider online gaming. I'm not sure if you're familiar with pen and paper RPGs and to what extent, but it's an option if you're not plugged into your local scene.

My biggest recommendation is to get plugged into your local scene. If you bought your SR4 rulebook from a gaming store rather than a chain store someone there should be able to help you with finding a group. A good game store will have some sort of bullitin board or meetup information.
the_dunner
You might also want to pay a visit to the GM/Player Registry Forum to see if there's anybody else in your area looking for a game.

Also, take a look on Commando HQ to see if any of the members of the FanPro demo team are located near you to run you through an introductory session.

As others have suggested, if you have a nearby game store, ask there. They may well have a bulletin board posted to help people find other players.

Good luck!
knasser

Welcome to Dumpshock. You're in the right place.

For finding other gamers, you're going about it the right way, but you might also post your details in the Gamers Directory elsewhere on Dumpshock. Online gaming is nowhere near as good (IMO), but there's also this place and here where you may find some online stuff.

Also, if you have any local gaming shops, strongly recommend that you check if they have a notice board for groups or ask them if you can post a note yourself looking for people. That's often the best way. There is also www.Meetups.com which I've not used but looks promising. They have a role-playing games category.

If all else fails, rope in anyone who looks likely and run a game yourself. It's immense fun and everyone here will give you tonnes of (conflicting) advice if you've not run one before.

Unless of course you're in the Bristol area of the UK in which case you'd be welcome to join us. wink.gif

Good luck and remember. Shoot straight, conserve ammo and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon. wink.gif

-T.
Thanee
Either try at a local gamestore, or just hook up some of your friends and start from scratch. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Aaron
You might find the cheat sheets and some of the other stuff on my Shadowrun Resources page useful.
Butterblume
I am trying to substitute a real game one of these days with online gaming, but there aren't much things better than than burning pizza, eating chips and dropping half of your dice benath the sofa in a round a nice people love.gif.

Sadly, thats often not the way it works out.
cetiah
No one's mentioned it yet, so I will:

If you are interested in buying the Shadowrun core rule book and starting a game with your friends, you can buy the PDF version here.

You could also order the book and have it shipped to you at various sites such as here or here.
SCARed
uhm, he already bought a book ...

and to Fragmintz: good to know you made it here. maybe you remember me from the other forum. at least i remember your nick. i hope you will have lots of hours filled with fun playing PnP SR!

concerning any questions and getting started in general: the most important question is: what kind of character do you want to play(race, motivation, ... ganger? street sammy? mage? adept? merceneray? ...)? just describe him and be prepared for a mere flodd of tips how to generate an appropriate PC in SR.
Grinder
Or have a look at the various "help me with my characters"-threads here.
lorechaser
And because someone will eventually say it:

There is no teleportation or resurrection in the pen and paper (PnP) game.

I'm quite glad to see you here - new blood is always welcome, and so far, you've gone a good ways towards disproving the "All the new people that join after playing the game will be 9 year old console kiddies." Does my heart good to see.
sunnyside
Also if you happen to be affilited with a college at the moment they probably have some form of gaming club. They'd be more than happy to find you a group.

Also there are people who do pen and paper type gaming via instant messaging, chat rooms, or forums. You miss out on the "bunch of friends hanging around" aspect" and they typically move slower but I do enjoy them, and between the wife and newborn they're all I can realistically do.

So feel free to PM me about starting one of those.
apollo124
Welcome to the game. You didn't say what age bracket you're in, but if you are in the 16-28 year old set, it probably shouldn't be too hard to find a few friends to try playing a new game with you. If you're in the military, just look around your command. Lots of gamers in the service. I did most of my gaming while I was in the Navy.

Do you have any friends who play D+D? They would probably be easiest to convince to try a new game. Like others here said, check around gaming stores and college campuses. Someone here in my hometown even posted a "want to play D+D3e" notice at the billboard of my local grocery store.
sunnyside
And don't neccesarily discount the local college even if you're older. I can only speak for my Alma Mater ISU, but in our gaming club we had a bunch of older members, and I don't just mean grad students I mean people with outside jobs in their 40s, 50s, and beyond. You'd probably want to e-mail the club pres to find out how their group works though.
Fragmintz
Wow - this is an amazing response. Thanks everyone who chimed in.

@Scared - how's it going? I remember you from the other site.

Here are my responses to some of the things raised in this thread:

- I am 29, married, kid on the way

- I am not opposed to in person RPG, but my time constraints might make this unrealistic (I am currently working full time and going to law school at night)

- I have read the Wiki history, and am in the skills section of the 4th edition rule book

- yes, it is true, the FPS that so many Shadowrun fans are dreading is what made me interested in the PnP. Hopefully this response will be shared by others in the future

- Other than that, I will check out some of the places you guys suggested above, and check in with you all later.

THANKS
lorechaser
Since you're new here, I should probably also let you know that emo samurai is AWESOME, and everyone in SR greets each other by saying "Hoi, Chummer!"

Crakkerjakk
Can't we add "omae," as well?
lorechaser
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
Can't we add "omae," as well?

Drek, forgot that.
Crakkerjakk
Null sweat, chummer.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
Null sweat, chummer.

I think you meant null sheen hoophead.

wink.gif
Large Mike

I'm filing a restraining order:

lorechaser, Crakkerjackk, emo samurai, you are all to remain at least fifty (50) meters from the english language from this time forward.
Demerzel
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I think you meant null sheen hoophead.

I must have fallen behind the SOTA on my ettiquette (Street) I was thinking it should have been, "Null persp."
sunnyside
You have to keep mixing up the slang, Chombatta biggrin.gif
ornot
meh... Slang changes almost daily. Have you heard what the kids are saying today? I just can't keep up.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (ornot)
Have you heard what the kids are saying today?

Wait, back up. Are you telling me that those noises are actually speech?
ornot
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (ornot @ Feb 23 2007, 03:40 AM)
Have you heard what the kids are saying today?

Wait, back up. Are you telling me that those noises are actually speech?

So I'm led to believe.

Actually I frequently find myself scratching my head when I go out for lunch and overhear undergrads talking. Back in my day it was easy... bad meant good and everyone was called dude!
Mistwalker
Sure, it's speech

but is it intelligent speech?
lorechaser
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Sure, it's speech

but is it intelligent speech?

Totally, dude.

It's rad.

Harshing on speech is grody to the max.
Mistwalker
*Bangs his head on the table*

I understood that Lorechaser

*wonders how much brain power has been lost to be able to understand that bit of slang*
sunnyside
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Feb 23 2007, 12:57 PM)

Totally, dude.

It's rad.

Harshing on speech is grody to the max.

Hmmmm I'm thinking teenaged mutant ninja valley girl slang.
Fragmintz
Um ... okay ... Hoi, ninja rad slangers (I am trying to keep up with the lingo).

I went to my local game store, but everyone there is into figurine (Warhammer) or card game stuff. They didn't even have any Shadowrun books! I had to go to ... gulp ... Barnes and Noble. In any case, it doesn't look like I'll be finding a local game. Does anyone want to hook up for an online, once/week thing?
sunnyside
C'mon, can't someone step up for this guy? I've got as many forums games going as I can handle. If you haven't tried a forum game they do work better than you'd think.
imperialus
I'd be willing to run a PbP game. Anything in praticular you'd be interested in? I'd definatly be able to manage once per week, possibly more during combat.
fistandantilus4.0
I've also got an established game that we're taking online, gets together every Sunday. At least, that's the plan, since we'll be starting it this Sunday. If you're interested fragmintz, send me a PM.
Fragmintz
Hey everyone -

I am happy to say that I am getting into a Play by Post game. I am still up for possibly doing a game after this one, so let's keep the communication rolling. Thanks for all your help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012