Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making the wired wireless?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paradisio
Basically, lets say I have a hacker in the ground who insists on never going on the actual mission. Staying in the Van or at home and hacking from there; but lets say a buildings information is stored on a wired network and not on the matrix (because it has really important information or something...)... is there anyway he could have his team attach something to broadcast a signal so he could hack it remotely?
Butterblume
There are, but don't ask me about the details nyahnyah.gif.
Cynic project
give him a device that is a USB port that he can hack into, and threw it hack into the mainframe or whatever. Have one of the other runners take with them on runs and bingo. you could have have more than one of these things.
Sphynx
I think the best way is to use a Datatap (SR3) merged with a Microwave transmitter (Matrix). Have them apply the datatap, and suddenly the place is broadcaasting their intranet.
Telion
I think the only limitations on this are, the type of medium you use for transfering data. if its a long cable it can be traced back to you easily or interrupted causing dump.

Wireless types can be jammed causing interference or dump. Also wireless can limit your I/O speeds and I can't remember if there were further drawbacks depending on the type.

Think you could feasibly deck through a cellphone connection but no decker would want to unless it was a last resort.

Dataline taps are fantastic, any nonfiber exposed cable are perfect locations to jack into, including video camera coax.

Microwave was always a good choice, though laser connections aren't bad either if you have LOS.

That being said, I think any decker not going on site is a keebler.
Pendaric
Data tap plus transmitting device, deck needs the appropiate utility for the device.
Down sides have been covered except the obvious need for someone with the necessary skills to link in the data tap on site.
Also he data tap rating must be equal to the mpcp of the deck using it.

Another method is to link a transmitting device directly to a cyber terminal but this makes it easier to trace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012