Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group in the DC Area
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dr_Dro
I living in Washington, DC. Looking for a group within the Beltway. Willing to play any edition.
nezumi
I'm in the DC area and I love SR< but I'm not ready for an in-person group yet. We're still getting to the 7 hours of sleep a night stage with our four-month old. That said, if you have a place that is spacious, child-friendly and not too far from me, my wife and I might be interested in a few months, plus I can get in contact with a bunch of other RPers (none who are experienced with Shadowrun, but just RPers) in the area. I'm coming out of Wheaton.

So yeah, get me a place to stow the kids, I can get you some players nyahnyah.gif
Dr_Dro
Define spacious. Cuz I'm willing to host if necessary.
nezumi
Enough space for a group, but somewhere without nice and fragile objects.
Dr_Dro
like I said, I don't mind hosting, but it'll depend on how many people you can get to come.
PBTHHHHT
Ah, more folks inside the beltway, I live over by Tyson's Corner. Though, I'm a bit busy so I can't play, but it's nice to know there's other srun players in the area.
nezumi
Like I said, I have a pair of partially trained monkeys who like to play with and break things. I'm not excited to pay $5 an hour for a babysitter (if I can find one that cheap) so I can play SR, but most hosts aren't excited to have a three-year-old climbing on and breaking stuff.

Regardless, poke me in maybe three months and I'll tell you if I'm available then smile.gif
Wandering_D
I live over near Dulles, but also spend a lot of time in Arlington. When were you planning on running the game?
Dr_Dro
I was thinking of either Saturday/Sunday evenings (one or the other). Location is to be determined. If you have a place/time in mind, feel free to give your suggestion.
Wandering_D
Saturday would probably work best for me but I’m flexible on the issue. Place wise mine is large enough to hold a group and short of a few electronics that can be stowed is child safe. Though I do live with a roommate and I’m not sure how hot on the idea held be, especially since he’s usually in bed by 9. And the living all the way out near Dulles probably isn’t the most convenient for the rest of you (40 minute drive from Arlington, not close to a metro).
6thDragon
I'd also be interested. I live north of Wheaton. I usually play in PA about once a month, but would love to have another group closer to home. I don't think I could commit to hosting, but I'd love to play or even participate in a rotating GM situation. If anyone could take the lead and arrange times, GMs, and players, count me in. I'm pretty busy during the week, but have enough time on the weekends.
Dr_Dro
Unfortunately, I don't think I can adequately host with little kids running around. But I'll try to look into finding a place, if someone else doesn't find one first.
nezumi
Hm.. Weekends aren't great for us, but frankly, we'd make them good for an SR game wink.gif

Dulles would be a bit of a hike. If it's a reasonably long game and biweekly or less, I'd do it. Probably not weekly though.

If you guys wait until next year, we may have a house, and we can host there! But that's next year. My beautiful and talented wife says we can do it here (we're also just north of Wheaton, but it'll oftentimes be messy. The price of kids, neh? We could probably host four, possibly five more people at max, although this isn't the best gaming area (no dining room table we can sit around, no small, easily moved chairs).

6thDragon
Sounds great, if we're both north of Wheaton! I just hope that isn't too far for other players who are interested. I could GM the first session, but like to play characters too. I hope someone else could rotate GMing with me. Contact me at my regular email address galbraithas at hotmail.com and we'll try to set something up. I'll see how many people are interested and maybe we can get together in a week or two.
Wandering_D
How far are you from the metro?
6thDragon
I'm a little over a mile from the Glenmont metro stop. I live very close to Leisure World, but I don't think I could host. If you got off the metro, I could certainly give you a ride. I hope we can get enough players to make this work.
Wandering_D
Hmm, well I wouldn't mind the commute on those days I'm already near the metro (Friday-Sunday) since I can get some work done while I travel. And thanks for the offer 6thDragon, I'll probaly take you up on it.

I could give GMing a try but I havent done it before so...
nezumi
I live about a mile from the... WTF? Stop copying my posts!!

Yeah, I live very close to Glenmont. If I'm hosting (since my wife seems to feel confident with that), I probably wouldn't be driving. She does request, and I think it would be a good idea, to meet somewhere as a group not at anyone's house first to determine if anyone is creepy. A diner would probably be best. I'm on a budget smile.gif There are a couple in the area, if people want me to choose.

I can GM. I enjoy being a player... For at least the first game. But I've been GMing almost exclusively for like three or four years now, and so now I have trouble getting into the player mindset. Plus, I'm a pretty straight-forward GM, but definitely a loony player.

SR3, right? SR3R?
Dr_Dro
Whichever, I'll have to relearn the rules no matter what version we play.

I like the idea of the diner meeting. Nezumi, are you suggesting hosting now? or in a year?
6thDragon
I think SR4 is a hugh improvement and think I might have a hard time going back. Not sure about SR3R, what is that? I've played with a few houserules, but those would certainly be debatable. Going out to a restaurant might work. My wife isn't a shadowrun fan but she might want to come along too.
nezumi
SR3R is basically built on SR3, but with all the revisions that needed to be made.

If you're doing SR4, I'm really not competent to GM at this point. Give me a few games and maybe.
Wandering_D
Dinner sounds like a good idea to me. My vote would be for SR4 but I’ve got the SR3 book if we decided to go that rout.
6thDragon
What about Saturday to meet and greet, discus styles of play, which edition to use, GMing, location and whatever else, then in a week or two we could meet for our first game. I'm relatively new to the area and don't eat out much at all. Nezumi could you pick pick a restaurant in the Wheaton/Aspen Hill area sinse that's where we all seem to live and you said you were fimiliar with the area and on a budget (which I'd say I am too)?
nezumi
My wife will be going in for her wisdom teeth to be removed in the very near future (she's getting a consultation on Thursday, so we should have a date then). Obviously, if she's going through that Thursday, Friday or Saturday, I will be quite unavailable.

Failing that, however, my wife recommends the Silver Diner in Rockville. It isn't too far from Wheaton (maybe 10 miles), is nice without being pricey, family friendly, and has always been very hospitable to big groups.

11806 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852

Thoughts?
Dr_Dro
Saturday ... depends on what time. I might not be availble. The Silver Diner, is it close to the metro?
nezumi
Yes, if you get off at Whiteflint station, head North up Rockville Pike and cross just after Old Georgetown, you're right there. It should be about half a mile. If you and someone else has a cell phone, I'm sure we can arrange a pick-up. I'd do drop-offs, but we barely have enough room in our car to begin with.
6thDragon
Sure, let me know what time and I'll be there man. I can pick anyone up or drop anyone off at the metro, just let me know so we can coordinate. Diner's are always reasonably priced, and it should be a problem. I have plans to pick my wife after she gets off work at 8 pm, so could we do it around 5ish? That should give us more than enough time.
Wandering_D
I can tentatively commit to that, how is the neighborhood around the metro (I might just walk it if the diner is only half a mile away and the weather continues to be like today).
PBTHHHHT
The area isn't that bad. Just be careful with traffic and you'll be fine.

Oh sorry, not meeting any of y'all just sharing the knowledge of Rockville Pike. nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
Like he said, no real danger of crime, although there's a homeless fellow he begs around that island pretty regularly. Mostly up-scale, a little construction.

I'm still open to any time, so I'll let people with a timetable decide. 5pm is fine by me.
6thDragon
Well, we can't just go to the bar and ask to meet Mr. Johnson. We'll need some way of recognizing each other. I'll try to show up a little early and I assume there is a lobby to wait in. I'm about 6'3", late 20's, and I'll wear a Penn State shirt, I shouldn't be hard to recognize. We can all get seated when everyone is there. Hopefully we can all make it on time. Sounds like we have 4 people total, can you make it Dr_Dro?
Dr_Dro
...not sure. I'm probably working on Saturday, so it depends on what time I get off (meaning when I finish what needs to be done).
nezumi
It sounds like we will be there, which is good.

We'll be there with the two little kids (6 months and 3 years old). I've got a cammie jacket I've been wearing pretty regularly, I'll wear that until our group has gathered. That said, if I get there first, I will reserve the table in the name of 'Johnson' ;P
Dr_Dro
How clever of you wink.gif

Could someone who is going to show message me their number and I'll call if I'm coming late - to make sure you're still there or not.
6thDragon
I stand corrected, apparently we can walk up to the counter and say we're here for Mr Johnson. I'll see you all there.
Wandering_D
I'll be heading over in a couple. I’m 5’6” , beard, black full length coat. See you folks there.
cREbralFIX
Hi,

I'm looking for a game to GM or play. Any openings?
nezumi
You actually just missed our first 'meet'. We decided we're going with SR4. Since it'll probably be hosted at my house, I'd rather like to meet people in person at a neutral place before giving them my home address. If you're in the area, would you like to meet somewhere?
6thDragon
Well, looks like we're good to start playing. Remember make two characters so we can alternate, that way if you make too specialized a character I'll advise you not to play them during certain runs. The only criteria I have so far would be to give each character the same fixer, that way they all know each other through him. Make him 3 connectivity and how loyal he is, is up to you. So we don't end up with too many of the same character types, everyone should post what kinds of characters they intend to create. I'll try to think of the few houserules I play with and post them in a day or two.
cREbralFIX
I live in the Centreville, VA area. What is halfway between there and wherever you are?

Characters: what does the group need or want? I'm open to creating one character that fills a gap. If that doesn't really matter, I'll probably create a shaman and some sort of physical adept or street samurai. I may even do a physad with some cyberware.

nezumi
Half-way between Centreville and Wheaton is 495. I don't really know any particular places in that area. However, the first time we'll be able to socialize again happens to coincide with the Cherry Blossom festival, so we'll be in DC, which is always a nice place to meet people. We could meet in China-town over a plate of live fish and frog legs, if you'd like.

In regards to character types... I was thinking ex-public school teacher (face/techie) and crazy shaman. It's been a while since I've done the crazy shaman.

My wife says she ALSO wants to be a crazy shaman and an adept (or possible mage). I told her she can't be a crazy shaman because *I*'m gonna be a crazy shaman, and there's just not enough crazy to go around. I'll leave it up to the GM as to whether there is sufficient crazy available in this campaign or not. She also says she's going to be a man. So no one else can take the 'man' character type.
cREbralFIX
But what if I want to play the bare and barrel chested troll with whirling battleax? Will that mean his testosterone will be sucked out of him in the presence of this character? What will happen to the battle ax? It would be terrible if it were dropped.

Profound questions require profound answers!
6thDragon
Well, shamans are suppose to be eccentric or at least not normal. You might also want to consider some of the new traditions or totems from Street Magic. Or if you want to bring over one from SR3 that wasn't put into one of the sourcebooks yet we could talk about that. I should have said something when we met in person, but it slipped my mind. My group in PA recently switched to having the game based out of Phili. It just made sense with so many places within easy driving distance (DC, Baltimore, NYC, not to mention all the rural areas of PA and NY), or the CAS to the south or Europe is just an easy flight away (And I have Shadows of Europe). What do you all think of a Phili based run?
I don't mind there being a few mages in the group, personally I always welcomed them, as long as the group is well rounded overall.

cREBralFIX: Since Nezumi will be hoasting, you'll need his approval to begin play. I think the drive from Centerville will be a bit much, but if you don't mind it... That will make five players, and I don't know how big Nezumi's place is but that might start to push the limits. Plus from past experiences, more than five players begins to be hard to control as a GM.
nezumi
Philly is fine with me. I don't have access to Street Magic yet. Should I assume I can glance over your copy? I"ll make my character without it and edit when I get the chance.

BTW, if you add your e-mail to your profile, I can e-mail you through DSF (it won't show your e-mail address). Otherwise you'll want to post it or somesuch.
Dr_Dro
yo, 6th, about Awakened, are you going to limit the number of Awakened PCs? i'm wondering because the way I understand SR is that there are Awakened people, but they are rare.
6thDragon
As long as no more than half of the PCs are full mages, I don't think it will be a problem. I think mages are supposed to be rare too, but I don't want to limit what kinds of characters you play if I don't have to. That's one of the reasons I wanted everyone to start coordinating what kinds of characters you wanted to play so you could see what everyone wanted and see what you will need. That way you can adjust the characters a little before we begin to make sure you have all the bases covered. I'll let you all see street magic if you don't have it, but I let a friend borrow it and I don't think I'll see it for another week or two. My email address is galbraithas@hotmail.com let me see some of the characters you are all working on when you're done with them.
6thDragon
Are your guys ready to start playing next weekend? If so, start emailing characters my way during the week.
Dr_Dro
Do you just want character sheets? or do you want us to get a bit deeper in the description?
6thDragon
Stats and a brief summary of the character's background and abilities. You don't have to go all out with descriptions.

Here are some of the house rules I promised to put forward.
Drain for banishing is cut in half.
The amount of armor you can wear before being encumbered is liked to your strength instead of body.
Dermal Plating availability is rating x 4
Extra dice from vision and hearing enhancements are limited to skill x 1.5

I'm trying to remember if I've played with any others, I'll try to warn you before the first playing session.

Also, don't forget to post a quick description of the characters you intend to create so we don't end up with a group full of hackers or something equally unworkable.
nezumi
I talked with the two other players in the group. They said they're looking at a drone rigger and a gun-bunny, and a vehicle rigger and a melee fighter. They're just now reading up on the rules, so they think they can get something early next week.

Hmm... I can't seem to find the BP cost for making a drop bear character... I guess my Drop Bear Commando character will need to wait for the supplemental books...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012