Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Info on Vancouver
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
I've read the basic stuff about how Vancouver is part of the NAN and is competition for Seattle economically. What else do we know about them? What company provides security there? Should I assume they're like Seattle, but with lower population density and more anti-anglo bias?
Herald of Verjigorm
The page or so in SONA suggest it's like Seattle but with less corp presence, and a demolished suburb that belongs to gangers, smugglers, and shedim.

Oh, and some triad smuggling Salish-legal drugs out into places where they are restricted as well as normal triad behavior.

As for security, I found a reference to "Salish Rangers" who served as a high firepower police force, covering civil issues as well as minor military affairs. So they probably don't use Lone Star.
eidolon
It's not much, but here's what the Timeline Explorer has to say:

QUOTE (Timeline)
2032 - In the NAN, the Elected Council of the Ute Nation approves a proposal from Maritech Enterprises of Vancouver in the Salish-Shidhe Council to convert the Sevier Bridge Reservoir into the world's largest fresh-water fish farm. (Native American Nations Volume I)

2042 - In Vancouver Island, Salish-Shidhe Council, NAN, the dragon Masaru formally becomes a great dragon and purchases a huge complex as a lair. (Cyberpirates)

2047 - In Salish-Shidhe Council, NAN, the Tsawassen band, an anglo tribe, try to block the development of Vancouver International Airport as a protest against "intrusive technology." (Native American Nations Volume I)

2059 - On December 3, in Vancouver, Salish-Shih Nation, NAN, the suburb of Richmond is leveled by a massive earthquake rating at least a 9 on the Richter scale. The quake is apparently magical in origin in that it doesn't activate a single seismograph just across the river in Vancouver. Tens of thousands of people are killed and the area becomes haunted by their ghosts. The area becomes known as the Richmond Ruins. (Tails You Lose)
psykotisk_overlegen
It's the home of the Draco Foundation too isn't it?
Cheops
I think you may be thinking about Universal Omnitech and some smaller player called Pacific Cybernetics Inc. They both have their HQ there.

I was thinking about making a proposal for Vancouver for Feral Cities until I read what that book is actually going to be about. If people are interested we could collaborate to get something made. I at least already have a list of all the tribes in the Vancouver Island/Lower Mainland (it was a pain to get a listing of BC tribes).

Theme was basically that while SSC is organized at the top levels the individual tribes have a lot of leeway. So all the tribes in VI/LM are Cascade Crow but each nation has certain rights to run its territory its own way. The Musqueam were of course helping the Triads and the Cascade Ork to smuggle. Vancouver (except for Point Grey), Burnaby, parts of Victoria, Whistler, and part of New Westminister were like an Anglo reservation. The rest was tribal land.

The farmlands in eastern Richmond and the Fraser Valley (as far as Chiliwack/Sardis) were convereted to wilderness with some subsistence and research farming (especially in conjunction with the Sioux biotech company). Lots of talismongering in the mountains to the north between West/North Vancouver and Squamish/Whistler-Blackcomb and in the Fraser Valley.
Daddy's Little Ninja
On of the last FASA novels was set there. something about lucky coins from the Big D's hoard
FlakJacket
That was 'Tails You Lose' by Lisa Smedman I believe.
TheRedRightHand
QUOTE (Cheops)

I was thinking about making a proposal for Vancouver for Feral Cities until I read what that book is actually going to be about.

What is the book going to be about? Where did you read details about it? Book starved fans want to know.
Cheops
QUOTE (TheRedRightHand)
QUOTE (Cheops @ Feb 23 2007, 01:27 PM)

I was thinking about making a proposal for Vancouver for Feral Cities until I read what that book is actually going to be about.

What is the book going to be about? Where did you read details about it? Book starved fans want to know.

My search fu is weak right now so I can't find the thread right now but I was looking for the thread from Synner I believe about how to prepare a submission for FanPro when I found a thread where one of the freelancers said that Feral Cities was slated to be about cities that are in chaos or on the brink of chaos.
nezumi
Huh, I'd submit something about DeeCee, but I doubt that's the sort of chaos they're thinking about.

Thanks for the info so far, guys. Every bit is useful. I didn't remember that Tails, You Lose was written in Vancouver. That was a surprisingly not sucky book.
Backgammon
QUOTE (nezumi)
I've read the basic stuff about how Vancouver is part of the NAN and is competition for Seattle economically. What else do we know about them? What company provides security there? Should I assume they're like Seattle, but with lower population density and more anti-anglo bias?

I would also assume that even though it's non NAN land, there should still be a huge asian population.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Feb 23 2007, 08:06 PM)
That was 'Tails You Lose' by Lisa Smedman I believe.

That sounds right. It gives a good image of a modern NAN city. It even has a war memmorial.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012