Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting Codes for your Sammie
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sicarius
Of course the assumption here is that people even bother to have warrior ethics for their so called "Samurai."

What other warrior ethics have your characters had? Any thoughts on possible interesting ones? whether you've used them or not?

Backgammon
Hmm, there's the Brawler's code: If it's a fist fight, use your fist. If it's a knife fight, use a knife. Gun fight, use a bazooka.
hyzmarca
Always complete a job no matter who you have to kill.
wargear
Never drek in your own backyard.

Never let anyone else drek in your backyard.
Kagetenshi
Never leave witnesses.

Women and children first.

The only good Ghoul is one paying you for corpses.

~J
Slump
If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.

When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.

A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

(Yes, I love Schlock Mercenary)
Herald of Verjigorm
^^vv<><>BA
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Slump)

A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Ok, what we need now is "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Shadowrunners" ^_^

And I love Schlock as well (have you been following the current arc at all?)
Thane36425
There is also the Chivalric Code. Very hard for a Shadowrunner to live by, but it could work for a Tir Paladin.

Code of Chivalry

From GURPS:

Pirate's Code of Honor: Always avenge and insult, regarldess of danger; your buddy's foe is your own; never attack a feloow crewman or buddy except in a fair, open duel. Anything else goes.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Thane36425)

Pirate's Code of Honor: Always avenge and insult

I'm sure it's a typo but it's a great one
Kyoto Kid
...then there's the Code of the West. Granted some of the points are dated (unless you find yourself in some wild areas outside the metroplex), but the principles still hold true.

code of the west

I particularly like the ones relating to Whiskey

My Adept KK4.3 especially adheres to the following 7 points and views them as the "7 Bushido Codes of the Old West":

...Don't make a threat without expecting dire consequences
...Do not practice ingratitude
...A cowboy always helps someone in need, even a stranger or an enemy
...Give your enemy a fighting chance
...Be there for a friend when he needs you
...Never shoot an unarmed or unwarned enemy. This was also known as "the rattlesnake code": always warn before you strike
...Honesty is absolute - your word is your bond, a handshake is more binding than a contract
Thane36425
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Feb 24 2007, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Feb 24 2007, 12:59 AM)

Pirate's Code of Honor: Always avenge and insult

I'm sure it's a typo but it's a great one

That was a typo, supposed to be "an" insult. Lots of typos in that one, should have looked the screen more instead of just in the book.

Several times in GURPS, other codes of honor are referred to, like Merc's code of honor, but have never been able to find them in the material.
fistandantilus4.0
meh, it's better as "and"
biggrin.gif
Rajaat99
The Sammie character in my game didn't start with a code of ethics, he was pretty evil. He took a job to kill everyone in a house, one of the occupants was a 1 year old kid and he killed him. He also geeked a guy for telling him he could'nt cut in a nightclub line. What a dick!
However, here we are now, 4 years later (real time), 2 years game time, and now he's a lot more picky about who he's going to kill. I made him see the consiqences of his actions. Crying widows, parentless children who had to turn to crime (or worse), and it changed him. It was fun to see the look on the players face when he realized that the homeless kid who's begging for food was the son of one of the guys he's killed.
Now, he will go out of his way to help someone. He's trying to make up for past deeds. It's a lot of fun.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Slump @ Feb 23 2007, 11:33 PM)

Ok, what we need now is "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Shadowrunners" ^_^

And I love Schlock as well (have you been following the current arc at all?)

Ah, other schlock fans.

Here's another one, I'm pulling from memory so it might not be totally accurate but the point is made...

"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, no more, no less."

Yeah, I can see that as a useful one for shadowrunners and for sammies.
Crakkerjakk
Nothing, "Codified," heh heh...

But, what I generally stick to as a somewhat honorable criminal:

I do the job, then I get paid(for you Firefly fans)

No threats. If someone is a danger, they are removed in the most efficient manner. Threats only serve to warn a target.

My word is my bond as long as the longterm consequences of breaking it outweigh the short term benefits of betraying it.

Avoid collateral damage, it can create angry fanatics who will do anything to kill you.

Never make more enemies than strictly necessary.

Trust only when absolutely necessary.

Do unto others before they can do unto you.
Slump
Here's the complete list, at least, those that have been revealed.
holychampion
I do the job, then I get paid(for you Firefly fans)

No threats. If someone is a danger, they are removed in the most efficient manner. Threats only serve to warn a target.

My word is my bond as long as the longterm consequences of breaking it outweigh the short term benefits of betraying it.

Avoid collateral damage, it can create angry fanatics who will do anything to kill you.

Never make more enemies than strictly necessary.

Trust only when absolutely necessary.

Do unto others before they can do unto you.

My kinda Street Sam.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sicarius)
Of course the assumption here is that people even bother to have warrior ethics for their so called "Samurai."

What other warrior ethics have your characters had? Any thoughts on possible interesting ones? whether you've used them or not?

The way in which we gain wisdom pertaining to the world around us and gain insights into our own selves is by appeasing the great god, EXP.

The great god EXP demands BLOOD SACRIFICE! EXP is PLEASED when you kill powerful individuals, and is LESS PLEASED BUT STILL SOMEWHAT PLEASED when you kill random weak people. EXP quantifies his pleasure in POINTS. Slaying a great dragon may give you thousands of EXP POINTS whereas blowing away an unsuspecting four year old might net you only 2 EXP POINTS.

"Jesus, sammie, you just ripped apart the whole day care center!"

"I figure with two dozen of them there the 24 EXP points I got was probably just as good as that guard that escaped in the facility."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012