Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sustaining Magic and LOS questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gunbunny
Hoi chummers,

A couple of questions for you. They're pretty basic, but since I'm new to the whole magic thing, I thought I'd throw them out there.

1. If someone is sustaining a spell on a target (targeted spell, not AoE), will breaking LOS (with a smoke grenade, going around a corner, etc) break the spell?

2. If someone with a sustained spell (targeted as above) is placed inside a mana barrier, will the sustained spell be lost?

3. If someone with a sustained spell (targeted as above) walks through a mana barrier, will the sustained spell be lost?

Thanks again! Looking for a few ways my Gun-Fu adept can break bad sustained spells on comrades.

GB
Demerzel
1. No

2. No

3. No. Well, maybe. The spell has a chance of disrupting. See p186, paragraph above Adepts. Or better yet, read all of the passing through barriers section starting on p185.

QUOTE (Gunbunny)
Thanks again! Looking for a few ways my Gun-Fu adept can break bad sustained spells on comrades.

Shoot the person sustaining the spell.
psykotisk_overlegen
1 & 2, no
3. Probably, it's a forcex2 vs forcex2, if the barrier wins the spell is disrupted. Since the barrier isn't harmed by this you can go back and forth until you break the spell.

As Demerzel said, shooting the sustaining magician is a good way of dealing with this.
Wasabi
Want to break sustained spells with an adept? Spend 5 extra points to be a mystic adept and then buy Counterspelling to 4, specialize in Manipulation, and get a Counterspelling focus. For extra munchability be a Mystic Adept of Adversary for +2 more Counterspelling dice.

Oh, and if you have Astral Perception you can follow the spell back to the source. While HE may have a spirit concealing him from Astral Perception Mr Hand Grenade doesn't care who he greets... >:-)
Synner667
Hmmm..

Could someone clarify how walking through a mana barrier could disrupt a spell, but being on the other side/within a mana barrier would not ?/

Surely, passing through/into a mana barrier would have the same effect in both cases ??

Synner667
Jaid
i assume the spell is *on* the person, and thus walking through the barrier can disrupt the spell, whereas who knows how the link travels. maybe it goes through a metaplanar shortcut around barriers or something. but when the barrier is in the same location as the spell, you can't very well shortcut around that, because the destination is the barrier.
psykotisk_overlegen
Walking through a mana barrier can break a spell because the rules say so, they don't mention any problems with sustaining spells once they are on the other side however.

Maybe it's like drilling a hole in a wall and dragging a cable through, you can power stuff on the other side afterwards, but getting the cable there was a bit of work. Or they use Jaid's metaplanar shortcut or whatever fluff you feel like (it should bug uninitiated mages that their spells could do stuff I couldn't though).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012