Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copy Protection vs. Intercept Wireless Signal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RunnerPaul
Wageslave Alice has a copy protected program on her commlink, and she wants to loan it to Wageslave Bob. She doesn't have the access code to allow her to just make a copy for him, so she actually has to move the program off of her commlink entirely and on to his.

Unbeknownst to either party, Shadowrunner Eve has intercepted the wireless signal between Wageslave Alice's and Wageslave Bob's commlink and has set her own commlink to copy all traffic sent between the two.

Here's the question: when Shadowrunner Eve later goes back and looks at the coppied traffic, does she find that she now has a working copy of the program that was moved from Wageslave Alice's commlink to Wageslave Bob's? Or is copy protection in SR4 smart enough to know the intended destination of the program when it moves, and stubbornly refuse to allow the program to work if a copy of that data ends up somewhere other than it's destination? If the latter, can Shadowrunner Eve go through the process of cracking the copy protection to turn the data into a working program, or does she just have a chunk of worthless data clogging up her intercepted traffic file?

And in any case, would the scenario be any different if Wageslave Alice had obtained the access code that would have let her copy the program to Wageslave Bob's commlink instead of just moving it?

Also would a scenario based off of wired connections and the Intercept Traffic action instead of wireless transmission and the Intercept Wireless Signal action be essentially the same, despite wording differences in the two sections? ("Intercepted communications can be copied/recorded without any additional tests." vs. "Once the signal is intercepted, you can monitor the traffic and even copy/record/forward it without making any more Intercept Wireless Signal actions.")
Jack Kain
Think about things now. You buy a computer game and it come with a registration code to allow you access.

Now in SR you'd be required to register that code with the company via the matrix when you enter it into the program. You can't simply give him the Code because that unique code is attached to a SIN card. This is why people don't just share CD-Keys in SR.

She could give him the program with out having to remove it from her comlink. However he'd have to register the program before it could function. But as I suspect it be attached to a SIN card. Thats why copy protection is tough. You can't just swap CD-Key's you have to hack the program and remove the need for it.
This all assumes is legal corp programing, not private programmer or shadowrunner made stuff.

That being said. If you intercept the program during transfer and copy it down onto your comlink. Your free to try and break the copy protection.
DAS the Almighty
Let us consider the first example:

Alice is trying to rehost her program to Bob's commlink. In this case, the fact that Eve has intercepted the program does not allow her to install the program on her commlink as-is, because Bob is currently using the license key. However, I would argue that Eve can use the standard rules on p228 of the SR4 book. If Shadowrunner Charlie had sent Eve a copy of one of his programs (without rehosting it), the effect would be the same; Eve would now have a legitimate copy of the program, but no license for it.

Now let us consider the second example:

If Alice had a site-license (the ability to install the software on multiple commlinks), then Eve could simply install the software on her own commlink. Now, whether or not the software will work depends on how the manufacturer implements its DRM, which is probably up to the GM. For instance, many modern software companies issue a site-license that allows you to install the software on a set number of computers, and then leave it up to the Licensee to determine who can and cannot install the software (so, in principle, a dishonest Licensee may install the software on many, many more computers than he has actually purchased licenses for).
RunnerPaul
There are two problems I can see with a "Product Activation/License Key" model for copy protection in Shadowrun.

First, nothing in the copy protection section of the rules says that a matrix connection is required for making legitimate copies. Just an access code. Given the fact that runners sometimes find themselves in either Dead Zones or in buildings that have been blocked from the outside matrix by use of wifi-inhibiting paint or other means, I think it'd be kind of important to mention in the rules if it were a requirement.

Secondly, it'd seriously discourage the use of copy protection on illegal programs. Neither the author of an exploit program, nor the end user, would want that program phoning home each time it's moved from one device to another.

So, if the copy protection were entirely self contained code, smart enough to tell if it's been copied or not, would that change your answers?
Jack Kain
I never said it phones home every time.
It just phones home once when you activate it.

Look and Windows XP. After 30 days you are required to phone home to windows with the activation key for your operating system. Afterwards its no longer required. A similar concept would exist with the programs. Your required to activate the program after its installed but then its no longer required.

illegal programs would be given away already activated and have different copy protections.
Those sending and sharing illegal programs should use fiber optic wire not wireless signal with few exceptions.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

And when would would you have to activate it?
When it's on new hardware.
When would it be on new hardware?
I'd say when it's been moved or copied is a fairly safe bet.

And this is exactly why someone who writes a hacking program wouldn't want to use a copy protection scheme that phones home even once.
The authorities find a commlink at a crime scene, that has an hacking program on it, all they have to do is move that program to a different commlink, and trace the connection it makes when it phones home for activation, and they have a starting point for searching for the program's author.
Similarly if they nail the author and get control of the authentication server, they just trace all inbound activation requests to get leads on who's got hacking software.

illegal programs would be given away already activated and have different copy protections.

What different copy protections? The book only describes one method, so presumably, that's what both corporations use to protect the common use programs that they sell, and the hacker underground uses to protect the hacking programs they sell.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

And when would would you have to activate it?

Umm gee I don't know maybe 5 seconds after you first open the program or after a trial period.
I thought my windows xp analogy would be clear enough. When ever it is copied or installed it requires the activation code.
When I activated windows XP I used the CD key that came with it. However with in 30 days it requires I register with windows. They take that CD key check to make sure it hasn't been used and then sent me the activation code.

Now I assumed that the corps might take measures to ensure people can't ever share the activation keys.

Now the guys writing illegal hacking programs, aren't selling 10,000 copies. They can have each copy require a unique code (as in no other code will work) easier then a corp can.

With a corp issue program they give you a unique CD key but as there is alays the possibility of it being lost or the effort of editing each program as it goes out to accept just that one key. Multiple keys will function. Now some CD keys use your name as part of the generation. So part of the code links to what you enter in the name box.

Remember hacking programs are restricted NOT Forbidden. So the corps are writing and selling them to, and the corps WILL dam well want to know who is using there hacking programs.
hobgoblin
the idea of loaning someone a program is counter to the very idea of copy protection. you dont loan someone your access to a program. if bob wants to use said program my guess is that he either have to grab a time limited rental version of the matrix or shell out for a full copy (said rental one can probably be upgraded to a full time one later on if bob feels the need).

now, if noth alice and bob works in the same office it may be that said office is running a "program server", where they are paying for x number of users being able to access the program at the same time.

my guess then is that if said server is set up, one would need a key of some sort to access the server, and the transfer of the program would be encrypted and maintained in a time locked box. do not connect to the server again to renew you program use (it will be kinda like signing out a tool from the factory tool storage) within a set time and you loose access to said program.

this system will even allow workers to bring programs home if they do not have them and need them to work on some project over the weekend. that is if they are not living on corp territory, as i would expect any and all computing tools they use are owned by the corp and loaned to the worker, complete with a program server for both home and office use.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Wasabi
You buy the program its tied to the commlink. Have a nice day.
[I know, I know... not RAW but the RAW is very incomplete in this regards...]
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
I thought my windows xp analogy would be clear enough.
It's absolutely clear what you're talking about. I'm just pointing out that neither the rules, nor the setting seem to support that view of how copy protection works in SR4.

Rules: No mention of requiring matrix access to be able to easily copy the program, just an "access code". No mention of the possibility of being able to make a non-working copy that is later "activated" by the access code or the copy protection is cracked, merely statements that you have to have the access code or break the protection to be able to duplicate (although how this interacts with traffic/signal interception is not addressed, hence the original question in this thread).

Setting: No mention of copy protection solely being a tool of legitimate software makers, and no mention of the possibility of a separate type of copy protection used by coders in the shadow community. The inherent dislike of those in the shadow community for chains of evidence that make their activities traceable which would ensure neither shadow community coder nor shadow community end user would find an activation-based scheme desirable.

Now the guys writing illegal hacking programs, aren't selling 10,000 copies. They can have each copy require a unique code (as in no other code will work) easier then a corp can.
Unique codes do nothing to address the fact that if it is designed to dial home for activation (even for relatively rare events like change of hardware), it exposes both the seller and the end users to being traced by the authorities, should either end of the activation chain get compromised.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
the idea of loaning someone a program is counter to the very idea of copy protection.
That's funny, because I thought the very idea of copy protection was to ensure that addional copies don't get made unless they're authorized. Moving a program from one user's hardware to another means that the first user no longer has use of the program until it's moved back. There's still only one working copy, which was what the original purchaser paid for.
ornot
Why are people getting bent out of shape over this?

Like so much else, SR4 doesn't go into details about how such things work, but abstracts it. Programs have copy protection, which can be defeated with a specific roll. That's all you need to know. Anything else is just flavour. Accept it and move on.

If a player decides his hacker doesn't want to shell out for a program, and would rather steal it from a corp wageslave sharing it (or loaning, if you like) with a colleague, how long is he going to have to wait, with his tap on multiple comms, until the desired program is transfered? How often do you realistically see this as happening?

Something I would like to know is the kinds of program ratings used by corps. Any suggestions?
sunnyside
I generally think of programs as being installed off of the matrix. You don't get a program designed to be installed everywhere you get a copy designed to run on the comlink that installed it. Which you can then back up. However if someone else wants to run it they're going to have to be clever about emulating the origional comlink which is what the copy protection roll is all about.

@ornot I don't know what John Q Wageslave has but the attack programs in corp systems get up into the 8's and above (as occasionally shows up in missions). However typically I consider programs like that to be loaded up with stuff that will try to leave a data trail. They will also fail spectacularly if used against the parent corps systems.

I suggest that on a glitch for the copy protection roll (which can be tried a number of times equal to skill level only) results in some kind of data trail left/signal sent to parent corp etc. As the GM you'll want to roll this behind your screen, pausing every now and then to give a low whistle or chuckle a little.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
the idea of loaning someone a program is counter to the very idea of copy protection.
That's funny, because I thought the very idea of copy protection was to ensure that addional copies don't get made unless they're authorized. Moving a program from one user's hardware to another means that the first user no longer has use of the program until it's moved back. There's still only one working copy, which was what the original purchaser paid for.

but if you look at real life DRM or copy protection systems today, the ability to loan someone your copy isnt part of the functions list. its more of a privilege we take for granted with physical objects then a right...

remember, when you buy programs today, your paying for a usage license, not the program itself.

when you buy say windows, microsoft gives you the cd or dvd with the os installation files on, your paying for that certificate with the serial and hologram on...

same with music. in essence you have bought the limited right to play the songs on the cd for yourself, your family and close friends. anything more is a public performance, and not part of the agreement.

its a legal wasps nest this, and a odd one at that...

because its called copy protection, my guess is that SR DRM (a more generic term for much of the same concepts) systems lock the copy onto the hardware of the comlink or other computer its installed on (kinda like what windows xp and later is attempting), and loaning does not figure into that lock...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (ornot)
Like so much else, SR4 doesn't go into details about how such things work, but abstracts it. Programs have copy protection, which can be defeated with a specific roll. That's all you need to know.
Likewise, the abstraction for intercepting traffic/signals states that data in transit, when intercepted, may be copied "without any addional tests." The whole point I had when starting this thread was to get peoples' opinions on which takes precedence: "Can be defeated with a specific roll," or "without any addional tests."

Unfortunately, to be able to argue either case, we have to roll back the abstractions and figure out how the copy protection does what it does.

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 25 2007, 09:30 AM)
remember, when you buy programs today, your paying for a usage license, not the program itself.
And nearly every usage license in existance specifies that you may only store and run the program from one set of hardware, with specific clauses that allow you to move the program to another set of hardware and run it from there, provided that the program is fully removed from the original set of hardware first.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 25 2007, 09:30 AM)
And nearly every usage license in existance specifies that you may only store and run the program from one set of hardware, with specific clauses that allow you to move the program to another set of hardware and run it from there, provided that the program is fully removed from the original set of hardware first.

yes, but to argue therefor that you can lend someone else a program by transferring it over the net is still quite a jump in logic. that clause is there to allow you to upgrade your hardware without having to buy every bit of software again (what outcry that would create).

like i wrote, loaning someone something you own is a privilege we take for granted, not a right set in stone.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
that clause is there to allow you to upgrade your hardware without having to buy every bit of software again (what outcry that would create).

like i wrote, loaning someone something you own is a privilege we take for granted, not a right set in stone.

Then, if it'll make it easer to understand the question, please consider the above example retooled to take "loaning" entirely out of the question. There's only one wage slave, upgrading to a new commlink, while a shadowrunner eavesdrops.

Or there's one shadowrunner, moving their software to a new commlink because it's the wrong brand for the extraterritorial facility the team's about to try to con their way into, and one of their teammates tries to intercept the traffic out of curiosity.

Personally, I don't care one bit "why" the scenario is happening, I'm curious as to what people's opinions are as to the "what" happens, in terms of the two different rules that the rulebook provides no details on how they interact.

So far, most the answers I've been getting seem to share the opinion that copy protection merely keeps the copy from functioning until the access code is entered or the copy protection is cracked, that it doesn't actually prevent the data from being copied.

Some people have further suggested that entering the access code involves a mechanisim similar to contemporary Product Activation. While I assume that works fine in the games of those who suggested it, I don't wish to introduce that element into my game, and asked if those people felt that it'd work any differently if the copy protection scheme were entirely self-contained in the program. This lead to a slight de-railing of the thread from my original purpose for it, which is why I'm trying to steer it back to the original question.

As for my own view, I came into this thread seeing SR4's copy protection as self-contained and strong enough to prevent copies being made through any normal means offered by a device's OS. In short, you don't get a non-working copy that you have to crack or enter the access code, you don't get a copy, period. Entering the access code or cracking the protection comes first. It is possible to obtain a copy via unusual means (e.g. intercepting signal and/or traffic during a program transfer) but the copy obtained is non-working, and must be cracked.

So far, none of the responses I've gotten have given me any reason to change that view. About the only thing I'm still waffling on is whether or not to let an access code unlock a non-working copy that was obtained through extraordinary means, but right now, I'm thinking the only option at that point should be breaking the copy protection.
bait
The average wage slave is not going to have programs of interest to hackers in general, its is more likely to target them for access codes / low level passwords and social manipulation information.

Corps would also take a dim view of allowing high level work being loaded into a personal comlink as the security risk is a nightmare. ( Of course the wouldn't stop a corp hacker or hacker wannabe from trying this.)

The copy protection described in SR4 is the basic one, if you read through the program descriptions files can have more active protections placed on them in addition to the atypical copy protection scheme. ( Data bombs for example.)

The phone home feature isn't so useful in the SR4 realm as the amount of spoofing going on is rather overwhelming.
mfb
lemme preface this by saying that i don't like how SR4 handles storage memory. i think the idea of not worrying (or having to worry) about where your data is actually being stored is completely whacked-out.

however, the fact is, in 2070, you don't have to worry about where you're storing your data. that means that Alice probably never send Bob the program--she just sent him the key that allows him to use it. the program itself is stored who-knows-where. the key itself is easily encrypted; even if Eve downloads everything Alice sends Bob, Eve will have to decrypt the key itself.

there are, of course, giant gaping holes in this concept (why is it easy to strongly encrypt keys to programs, but hard to strongly encrypt anything else of value?). but no more so than any other attempt at explaining the loopiness involved here.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (bait @ Feb 25 2007, 06:34 PM)
The copy protection described in SR4 is the basic one, if you read through the program descriptions files can have more active protections placed on them in addition to the atypical copy protection scheme. ( Data bombs for example.)

Actually, having just read the description of Data Bomb, I'd say that might be open for debate. In my own games, I allow use of Data Bomb in any instance where a passcode/access code is entered, but I believe this may be a broader interpertation than what a strict reading of the text woud allow.

The phone home feature isn't so useful in the SR4 realm as the amount of spoofing going on is rather overwhelming.
In defense of the product activation camp, the test for breaking copy protection could very easily be representative of setting up special spoofing and re-directs that make the program think that the copy is authorized.

It's worth noting, that whether you view breaking copy protection as setting up spoofs and re-directs for an activation, or merely breaking of a strong encryption that's intamately keyed with the hardware signature and has rootkit-like overrides blocking basic OS functions, the usual hacker programs are of no help in cracking it.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Feb 25 2007, 02:46 AM)
Unique codes do nothing to address the fact that if it is designed to dial home for activation (even for relatively rare events like change of hardware), it exposes both the seller and the end users to being traced by the authorities, should either end of the activation chain get compromised.

Dude you don't pay attention to a thing do you. THE hackers writing those illegal programs WOULDN'T have them dial home to be activated. They sell an limited number and thus can use different methods.

The BOOK doesn't mention copy protection AT ALL except that it exists and some rules on how hard it is.

Shadowrunners aren't going to buy there hacking programs from the corps. They'll either write the program them selves or buy the work of other underworld hackers. (be they ripped off corp material or written by underworld hackers).

There is NO reason to have the corps abandon modern product activation. Just make it more secure. Hacking programs ARE NOT ILLEGAL!. Read the book, Its Restricted, The corps will want to know WHO has bought there products. Especially when its hacking software.

Anyone who thinks the corps and the underworld would use the same methods for copy protection. Don't know the SR world very well.

Part of shadowrun is dodging data trails. When ever you buy anything thats not blackmarket your adding to the data trail. It may be on your fake sin, or to your forged credstick but you've left a electronic trail behind of what you've done.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
there are, of course, giant gaping holes in this concept (why is it easy to strongly encrypt keys to programs, but hard to strongly encrypt anything else of value?). but no more so than any other attempt at explaining the loopiness involved here.

hmm, do i smell a conspiracy?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
however, the fact is, in 2070, you don't have to worry about where you're storing your data.

Unless you're in a dead zone. Or inside a building constructed with materials that block wifi access to the general matrix.

Then you're damn glad your programs are stored locally on your commlink, and aren't hosted somewhere out there on the matrix.

Runners get themselves in too many loss-of-access situations too frequently to assume that commlinks are nothing but a thin client and the programs are hosted elsewhere, when there's no direct mention of that in the book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012