Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Fey Tradition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheOOB
Heres a new tradition I brewed up, questions? comments? ideas?

The Fey Tradition
Concept: The fey-touched are those truly blessed by the faeries(also spelled fairies), the mysterious and light-hearted spirits of nature. By communing with these flighty beings the fey-touched gain a measure of their power and develop a mystical bound to the world around them.
Combat: Air
Detection: Guidance
Health: Plant
Illusion: Water
Manipulation: Man
Drain: Willpower + Charisma
Note: The fey tradition's magical paradigms are similar to those of the druidic tradition's to the point that a fey-touched counts as a druid for the purposes of most items and effects depending on tradition including formulas, foci/fetishes/talismen, rituals, and aspected magical domains.
Since the awakening, ancient and mysterious beings known as fey or faeries have inhabited the world, playing the role of the trickster and serving as a sort of intermediate step between man and the natural world. The ways of these strange and immortal spirits are all but alien to mortals except for those select few that are blessed(or cursed) with a measure of their power, the fey-touched.
No one knows exact ally causes some metahumans to be accepted by the fey and granted their powers, likely not even the fey-touched themselves. Some theorists insist that the fey-touched contain a small amount of fey blood within them, and are actually in fact part fey, others believe that faeries, being the fickle unpredictable creatures they are, simply choose mortals and random to grant their gifts to, as some sort of elaborate game. Perhaps both ideas are true, or perhaps it is something else entirely, the world may never understand the fey-touched, but thats just how they like it.
To a casual observer, a fey-touched is no different from a druid. Both druids and fey-touched have a deep connection to the natural world, they both summon spirits of nature to do their bidding(though rather then the spirits of places, fey-touched summon faeries such as pixies, nymphs, sprites, dryads, and satyrs) , fey-touched even use druidic magical items and rituals(this is largely due to the fact that very few fey-touched have the patience to develop their own formula and rituals, much less delve into the finer arts of arcana and enchanting, thus they learn to use the works of the most similar tradition, namely druidism), but to those who study closely the differences between the traditions become readily apparent. For example, while druids learn their trade through the study and/or worship of natural, fey-touched simply are a part of nature. Druidism is a proud tradition steeped in history and lore, while fey-touched are flighty and unpredictable and care little for such boring subjects. Druids often view fey-touched with great respect and reverence, admiring the way how they create such deep bounds with nature often with little to no professional study or training, though just as often the fey-touched are viewed as uncultured annoyances who don't understand the powers they deal with.
Fey-touched are generally rare, and almost never have any sort of formal organization (though many fey-touched join druidic magical groups accepting of them). Dwarves and elves form the bulk of fey-touched, with troll and ork fey-touched being exceptionally rare, though not unheard of. They are almost all without exception beautiful and mysterious beings, and have a tendency to be wildly unpredictable. For the most part they are sociable and outgoing, and usually prefer the excitement of a good trick or confrontation to the dullness of everyday existence. They tend to like to tease and trick humans, and toy with their emotions. Like the faeries they emulate, fey-touched are emotionally charge individuals, often experiancing intense feelings of anger, passion, curiosity, and love. A fey-touched can make a completely dedicated ally for life, and a frightening and deadly enemy.
Fey-touched often have a deep and personal relationship with the faerie spirits, of whom they usually regard(and are regarded in term) as equals. Faeries usually help the fey-touched in whatever way they can, and in turn they expect respect and the occasional gift or sacrifice(usually in the form of a some rare plants or a piece of art, but sometimes a faerie comes to desire the body or soul of a mortal). While fey-touched by no means unskilled in the art of sorcery(usually preferring manipulation and illusion spells), most fey-touched focus primarily on the art of conjuring their faerie allies.
Fey-touched can be found most everywhere, but are most highly concentrated around areas with lots of dwarves and elves, or areas where druidism is widespread, with Tir Na nOg boosting the largest population of fey-touched in the world. Unlike many druids however, fey-touched rarely live alone in the wild oftentimes preferring as much contact with metahumans as possible.
Crakkerjakk
I say maybe specify two separate traditions, the seelie and the unseelie courts. Have the Wild Hunt, all that fun stuff. Powerful free spirits known as Puck and Mab, the works. Alternatively, have the unseelie be the twisted variant of the seelie fey-touched. Although depending on if you went with the unseelie being pure evil/totally alien as opposed to the summer/winter courts idea, you might gravitate towards one version or the other. Overall, I like it.
TheOOB
I orginally thought of unseelie being a twisted version of this tradition, but I avoided specifically mentioning the courts or saying which type of fey they summon for each magic school as I wanted the tradition to be versitile. Faeries can differ quite a bit from different mythos, so I tried to make the tradition not dependant on any one mythos (though there is a bit of a greek/celtic thing going).
Crakkerjakk
Yeah, I'd just put some stuff in the descriptive text about it, kinda like they do for the different types of druids, in streets of magic. instead of celtic/english druids, whose only real difference is cosmetic and RP, have winter/summer fey-touched(if you decide to go with the courts idea of faerie.)

I wouldn't worry about making it an exclusively greek/celtic thing. If someone wants something different, they can make a seperate tradition with a few tweaks. I mean, it's not like the Qabbalist can be anything except one subset of the Jewish faith. In my opinion, it's best to steal a page from the Druid and Voudoun trads, and just insert some flavor differences between different aspects of the trad, in this case fey-touched, without creating completely separate trads for every minor difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012