Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HACKED!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gamble
I'm not sure if this has been posted here or not but I was curious. We have jumped into the land of wireless and are forever at the tender mercies of hackers and techies.

Now as a sammie filled to the brim with cyber or those with smartlinked weapons, how do you protect yourselves from being hacked? You could go the route of skinlinking everything or just leaving your commlink at home but I was curious what everybody else has done to prevent themselves from being a target. And what goodies have you left for hackers that try and hack your commlink?
Butterblume
This has, of course, been discussed numerous times.

Most cyberware is connected with a direct neural interface, so just turn wireless off, and those can't be hacked.
KarmaInferno
That's no fun, then.

I wanna make a sammy punch himself in the face, like the Major does in Ghost in the Shell.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I was thinking, that most cyber is going to have a really low signal, even with wireless turned on...plus it is subscribed, meaning a hacker not only has to hack the commlink in question, but will have to spoof and send commands to the cyber in question...

Assuming the sammie doesn't just turn the wireless off, or have any sort of security in his comm...I don't think it would take too long to find the hacker and put a nice little beat down on him:)

But, I agree, for cyber, I'd just turn the wireless off or at the very least, run my comm at a very low signal so any hackers would have to be really close to futz with my cyber.
sunnyside
Actually a more serious question. Lets say you have a sammy with a comlink attached to a datajack and they have a cyberarm and cybereyes.

Now I think it's fairly established that you can hack their eyes. You're recording stuff from them onto the datajacks memory and visualizing stuff from the comlink through the datajack to the eyes. Therefore you should be able to affect the eyes.

However would the same apply to the arm?

Also if you had two datajacks could they be "seperate" i.e. with one datajack you access the matrix and with the other you manage what your eyes record etc. Sort of like using two computers.
Konsaki
Well, if you follow the rules, sunnyside, you still wont be safe.
Once I hack your commlink, I can then use it to hack anything on your person with a signal, whether its on the commlink's network or not. If it's wireless and online, it can be hacked one way or the other.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Well, if you follow the rules, sunnyside, you still wont be safe.
Once I hack your commlink, I can then use it to hack anything on your person with a signal, whether its on the commlink's network or not. If it's wireless and online, it can be hacked one way or the other.

Doesn't have to be wireless at all. It just has to be linked to something that is wireless.

For example, your cyvereyes are not emitting any sort of wireless signal. However, you have linked to your commlink (via skinlink or a direct cable plug) so you can share your vision with your teammates.

I cannot hack your eyes directly, but if I hack your commlink, I can make my way back up into your eyes and mess with them from there.

Actually, re-reading your post, you are mistaken.

Once I hack your commlink, I can then use it to hack anything on your person with a signal, whether its on the commlink's network or not.

That's wrong... Once you hack the commlink, you can hack anything else on that network, whether it's wireless of not. You do not gain access to devices that are not networked to the commlink.
Konsaki
No, but I can use Commlink A to hack Commlink B (The one you are holding), then use Commlink B to hack Commlink C (which your teammate is holding.
Or I could use Commlink B to hack your cybereyes, which aren't connected to Commlink B in anyway, but within the 3m range.
Cheops
I personally wouldn't turn off your wireless cyberparts especially if you have a DocWagon contract. You need the Signal 0 so that they can run diagnositics on your gear without opening you up. Unless you always make a willpower check to stay conscious long enough to turn the wireless back on.

That being said, if your signal 0 is being hacked that means there's a device or a hacker within 10 m that is attacking you. Switch on an area jammer and hunt down said offender.

The real problem is that if your commlink gets hacked then everything in your PAN is accessible to the intruder. This is where TMs are worth their weight in gold. Use a Courier sprite to hash everyone's commlinks and now, even at rating 1, the only hackers that can get in are other TMs.
nathanross
I think bodyware is off limits, cyber arms, legs, etc. Since not only do they have no signal, but are hardwired to your brain via the nervous system, and to control them you would have to have access to their owner's brain. Since the only way an external entity can have access to your brain is through hot ASIST, they would probably care less about your cyber and just jump straight to frying your brain.

Sure, the rules say AR isn't hot, but if a hacker was for some reason stupid enough to leave their sim mod hot, I think it is only fair to punish them with Black Hammer.

Depending on how cyber or other external devices are connected to the user or their PAN, they are either able to be affected by external spoof or not.

One of the scariest possibilities (at least for a sam) is someone ejecting their clip via smartlink in the middle of a gunfight. Everyone fixes this by skin-linking, but if they have ANYTHING wireless with a signal connected to that skin link you could trace back. I'm not exactly sure how vulnerable an implanted smartlink would be, since it is almost definitely connected to cyber eyes which are in turn connected to your com through image link. You could rationalize that commands can not come from cyber eyes, but you could definitely mess with someones sight.

I don't have the core book with me so I cant give any other examples, but you get the point.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Cheops)
Use a Courier sprite to hash everyone's commlinks and now, even at rating 1, the only hackers that can get in are other TMs.

Until they reboot them, which removes the matrix connection and dumps the Sprite.
Sir_Psycho
Being unfamiliar with SR4, what kind of target numbers (ahem... hits) are we talking to say... shut off some-one's cybereyes, or any other sort of hacking of a person's cyber or gear?
Wasabi
If you use Exploit and get the extra 6 Hits to get Admin access you just do it... or even misfeed information to it.

Its the job of a defending hacker to plant nasties to patrol, defend, and encrypt the goings on.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Being unfamiliar with SR4, what kind of target numbers (ahem... hits) are we talking to say... shut off some-one's cybereyes, or any other sort of hacking of a person's cyber or gear?

You can't command a device to do something that it isn't physically possible for it to do.
A lonestar eyeball isn't built to fly so you can hack the device and overcome its physical limitation.

There is no reason for cybereyes to have an off switch. You close your eyes you can't see anything.

An Image link in cybereyes receives images via wireless connection so you could hack the eyes. (If the image link is active) But that doesn't give you access to his cyberlimb through DNI.
WHen you hack cybereyes you can send false images through the image link. However the eyes are still DNI controlled. He can take free actions through his DNI to overcome your simple (or is it complex) to overcome a spoof.

When hacking ware you want to be sneaky. If you send an overload if images through an image link to there cybereyes its a simple DNI command to shut off all wireless signals and your hack in is blown with a simple free action.

You could however alter the images so there no longer accurate. Such as you have the camera on a smartgun its image would be displayed through the image link. You spoof that image so they don't see you. They step around the corner and BAM!.

Hacking smartlink you could mess up the data calculations so they miss more often. They'd figure this out eventually and shut of the smartgun. But it could help a little.

Cheops brings this up.
" I personally wouldn't turn off your wireless cyberparts especially if you have a DocWagon contract. You need the Signal 0 so that they can run diagnositics on your gear without opening you up. Unless you always make a willpower check to stay conscious long enough to turn the wireless back on."

You could use RFID chips that simply broadcast your cyberwares location and have the cyberwares only wireless feature be to broadcast the condition of the ware.
After all what purpose does outside control have on a cyberlimb or wired reflexs and other ware that only interacts inside your body.

Crakkerjakk
I really hate hacking... it makes my head hurt.
Jack Kain
One idea for extra security is pay for your cybereyes and other ware that requires wireless interaction to function there own system and firewall.

So your guy has his cybereyes hooked up to his comlink so he can get image links from a long range. Possibly even control a a smartgun platform on top of your truck.

Now the hacker is looking to screw with your smartlink. He doesn't have the signal range to reach the gun its self so he has to go through your comlink and into the cybereyes and smartlink from there. (your comlink has a much higher signal range after all and may be connected to the matrix)

So given some time he gets past your system and firewall of 6, throw in Admin access and thats a TN of 18. So now he has access to your comlink. He moves on to the smartlink hoping to screw around. Say have the gun go on full auto blowing off the Styrofoam bug spirit that hides the weapon and completes the vans disguise as free spirit exterminators.

He then discovers that the eyes have there own protection and he has another TN of 18 to break through. Buying you more time to discover what the hell is going on.
Crakkerjakk
See, but this gets into the FAQ declaration that one can skip right through a daisy chained or subscribed series of nodes and only hack the one at the end.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
See, but this gets into the FAQ declaration that one can skip right through a daisy chained or subscribed series of nodes and only hack the one at the end.

Not if the only access it through the first device.

to hack a comlink on a network of comlinks you only have to hack the one comlink.

But if all wireless signals to the cybereyes are sent through the comlink first. (and your not in range to access the cybereyes direcly which is likely) then you would be REQUIRED to go through both.

The daisy chain assumes there are other points of access to break the chain.
Crakkerjakk
Okay, maybe I'm misinterpreting the term "Daisychain," but when I was running cable in the Marine Corps, Daisy Chaining something meant connecting cables end to end in order to cover a longer distance.

And as far as I read the FAQ, the daisy-chain example is given specifically to counteract the practice of linking each device one to the other with massive amounts of firewall and IC.

But, I don't want to turn this into another argument about what the core rules/FAQ says on the matrix. I'm just waiting till Unwired comes out before I try to do anything fancy. Like I said, the Matrix makes my head hurt.
hobgoblin
and then guess how much the heads of the writers would hurt if they where to cover all the tricks and ways things could get hooked up...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012