Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Birds!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DireRadiant
Remote Controlled Pigeons

Hitchcocks' The Birds..

Now imagine adding some C12 to a group of pigeons...
Konsaki
Wow... That's so much better than my remote control cat idea...
[Goes back to the lab to draw up plans for a remote control shark... with lazers]
sunnyside
Hmmm. Like slamhounds but airborn. Not bad.
HullBreach
In WW2 the Russians had a uniquely smart Anti-tank weapon: Trained dogs. They conditioned dogs to run up to tanks and lie down underneath the chassis. In training, the dogs wore weighted vests, in the field these vests were filled with TNT.

Similar concept, less tech and more time spent training, but effective none the less.
Tomothy
Those poor doggies frown.gif
HullBreach
QUOTE (Tomothy)
Those poor doggies frown.gif

<shrugs> The Palestinians use people.
toturi
QUOTE (HullBreach)
QUOTE (Tomothy @ Feb 27 2007, 10:18 PM)
Those poor doggies  frown.gif

<shrugs> The Palestinians use people.

Not-so-smart bombs. But effective nonetheless.
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (HullBreach)
In WW2 the Russians had a uniquely smart Anti-tank weapon: Trained dogs. They conditioned dogs to run up to tanks and lie down underneath the chassis. In training, the dogs wore weighted vests, in the field these vests were filled with TNT.

Similar concept, less tech and more time spent training, but effective none the less.

Maybe it's just hearsay, but I've heard that the dogs ran beneath russian tanks and blew them up, because the russians had been using an old russian tank for training the dogs.

I like the pigeon-tech. Now, if it can be done with birds, can you do it with humans?
djinni
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen)
I like the pigeon-tech. Now, if it can be done with birds, can you do it with humans?

IRl...yes...yes it can.
in SR their is fluff about the animals being remote controlled, but wouldn't microdrones be less costly?
Thane36425
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen @ Feb 28 2007, 11:52 AM)

IRl...yes...yes it can.
in SR their is fluff about the animals being remote controlled, but wouldn't microdrones be less costly?

That has been the problem so far. Birds can carry small payloads, but not really enough to do much good. A drone or the like could do the same job, maybe for less cost and it would certainly cut out the lawfare angle of animals rights groups suing over the use of birds as fire bombs.
Tomothy
I suppose the pigeons wouldnt fly high enough for you to use a flock to take out planes (ala Indiana Jones)
HullBreach
Nah, but they could REALLY give a ground effect craft like a thunderbird a bad day.
MaxHunter
Funny. I have read in some adventure, can't remember which, that the chinese corp Tan Tien was into making animal drones.

Why worrying about designing a flying drone or a submersible if millenia of evolution have already done the job for ya? just plug in the skillwires, transceiver and VCrig and you are on. Don't forget to set a couple lasers on that shark.

Cheers,

Max
psykotisk_overlegen

Why worrying about designing a flying drone or a submersible if millenia of evolution have already done the job for ya? just plug in the skillwires, transceiver and VCrig and you are on. Don't forget to set a couple lasers on that shark.

I'm getting flashbacks from Red Alert 2, with the mindcontrolled squids fighting the trained dolphins. Ah, that was a great game. Mindcontrolled giant squids could make a (joke) entrance into my Shadowrun game to. Remember the tentacled thingy mentioned on the news in 2XS, crawling out of lake washington?

IRl...yes...yes it can.

Cool. And I guess it can be done in SR too, like bunraku flesh puppets, but with more violence and less sex. Is there any particular reason why we haven't seen more electronical mindcontrol in SR? I guess it would be horrible for a megacorp to have word of research into thought-control leaking out, but IIRC deus had something like this(I have never read any of the details on the arcology), and others could have it too.
Da9iel
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
[snip] Don't forget to set a couple lasers on that shark.

Ahem! "Frickin lasers!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012