Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time in VR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lividicus
Does it say someplace how much time passes in VR compared to Real time. IE i spend an hour in real time on a Sim, But how much time can pass in VR?
Thane36425
That can be highly variable. For most cases like sims or running the matrix, it would probably be real time. Canon does include certain shall we say punishment oriented sims and such that dialate time making minutes seem like years, usually while undergoing horrific torture.

Lividicus
So it is possible for VR to feel like a days instead of minutes?
Wasabi
To keep combat that has both full VR and meat participants SR3 and SR4 has the times all in sync. Back in SR1 and SR2 it was lightning fast but now its just lightning smooth and at normal speeds.

VR from a BTL, Psychotropic Black IC, or maybe even a well designed entertainment Sim could, sure... after all... who knew Lord of the Rings was 3 hours long? It didnt seem that way to me... it gelt like 3 days. A fun 3 days, but 3 days worth each movie. smile.gif
Thane36425
QUOTE (Lividicus)
So it is possible for VR to feel like a days instead of minutes?

The right kind of programs, yes. Like Wasabi said, a properly designed BTL or Sim could alter the perception of time.
Crakkerjakk
@Wasabi:

Sissy. Me and my friends watched all the extended versions in one day. And then as we exited the house we hissed as the light fell upon our drawn and haggard features, retreating to the darkness once more. But I digress.
hobgoblin
our sense of time isnt accurate in any way what so ever.

i recall reading about someone stying in a cave for 14 days while studying the local insect life or something like that. when he came out i think he was at least a day or more off...

thing is, we use stuff like the shifting light of the sun to get a instinctive feel of time. without it, things get interesting very fast. thats why a nasty psycological torture is to lock people up in a closed off, dark room and then come in at random times claiming maybe a day have passed when at best we are talking hours. trick is to give the person locked up just enough time to fall asleep or similar, i think...

there is also time shifts in dreams. i take it anyone here have at one time or another experienced a dream that feels like it have lasted for hours while the clock claims you have been out for at best an hour. this is what VR can use to good effect.
Thane36425
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
our sense of time isnt accurate in any way what so ever.

i recall reading about someone stying in a cave for 14 days while studying the local insect life or something like that. when he came out i think he was at least a day or more off...

I think I know what you are talking about, or something similiar. There was a study done where 3 men were placed in an underground apartment of sorts with no visible daylight and no way to tell the time. Within a few days, they were all on different schedules. After about 2 weeks, they found themselves all sitting at the kitchen table: one eating breakfast, another lunch and the last, dinner.

There is also the infamous time dilation of combat or great stress.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012