Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low powered Runner settings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Casper
Awhile back I remember someone posting a write up they did for a small town that was east of seattle and was pretty much small fry. I can seem to find any search fu that will bring back the post so if anyone has something better that would be cool.

All I remember is that it was a small town on the other side of the mountains from seattle and he worked out corps and other such things. I have a similar small write up that I would like to combine with the setting which I have left over from a small Atzlan campaign that I ran. I think they would go well together and with it being closer to seattle it would be better for a jumping in point.

Slump
I would think the bigger areas would be easier on the runners, simply because there are more potential criminials that did it. If there are three career criminals in a small town, and something criminal happens, the police only have to look in three places to find the likely suspect. But if there are 400 professional shadowrunners, and a job goes down, the fuzz has to worry if it's one of those 400, or if it's an up-and-comer or if it's just some lamo-punk getting in over his head.
HullBreach
One of the best campaigns I ever had the privilage to play in (and it was a LOOONG one) was the summer before my seinior year of high school (yeah Im old, and it was 2nd edition). We were playing 2-4 times a week though, so it was a lot of fun.

Our GM started us off as basically a bunch of 16-18 year old kids who got in over their heads when they found a duffle bag full of money (actual scrip, so you know it wasn't for a legit transaction) next to a very well dressed corpse.

What was kind of fun about the campaign was the paranoia and the crushing need to learn how to fight. No one started with any firearms skills, and out mage was still getting the basics down. Made for a wild campaign with lots of character development.
hyzmarca
Ah shucks, paw; I promise I won't ever steal an Aztechnology prototype again.

Doing a Mayberryrun is difficult. Doing a Dukes of Shadowrun is much easier. The difference is that the Dkes can take advantage of their superior knowledge of the backroads to make their escape from incompetent law enforcement.
HullBreach
The other aspect I like about low-powered settings is that nothing brings home the desperation of the genre quite like having to chose between topping off your magazines or getting some warm food and a coffin for the night.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (HullBreach)
The other aspect I like about low-powered settings is that nothing brings home the desperation of the genre quite like having to chose between topping off your magazines or getting some warm food and a coffin for the night.

I personally think that sounds more entertaining than arguing about whether or not you lose pool by layering your FFBA and another piece of armor with you quoting the BBB and the other guy, a day later, referring you to the website errata.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012