Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barsaive the New Matrix Phenomina
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gerzel
I thought I'd put out a plot hook idea for a low-power campaign.

The PCs are all playtesters for a new flashy Matrix Immersion Game World entitled Barsaive. The game's back story and setting is supposedly the prehistory of Earth in the late 4th age. The writing staff uses bits of information and folklore combined with their own imaginations to create the setting from what they believe to be whole cloth and populate it with many races including the metahuman types seen in the real world, along with a few player races. The antagonists are the extremely powerful entities called simply "Horrors" which seek to cause terror and fear whilst devouring their victims.

The thing is the online world is disturbingly close to how certain persons who were there remember it. No living person's or dragon's names are used but there are characters that closely resemble people who lived long past.

In the gaming circles the game has gotten early rave reviews even in betatesting and the staff is having a tough time keeping unregistered "testers" off their grid. The game's interface is realistic and well designed, a model of solid programming and computer art.

Of coarse there are some who are quietly getting worried...
Backgammon
Didn't one of the SOTA books describe this exactly? I think it was called Atlantis or something, and was made by the Atlantean Foundation.
Cheops
Dawn of Atlantis.

It was basically a super popular fantasy MMORPG before Crash 2.0. It would probably still be around.

It is in Target: Matrix if you want details. I highly recommend that book, probably the best Target: X books there is.
Platinum
yeah ... in 2070, though everyone lives in augmented reality, so you are literally running around in an old barsaive and all the building are just stylized kaers. You get a reality filter. Everything gets a "flintstone's" kind of look and feel to it.
Gerzel
Ok, I don't have Target Matrix.
Cheops
Target: Matrix, p 78

"This game is produced by Brilliant Genesis and is currently the favorite of the online role-playing games.  Despite the appearence of real-life elves, dragons, and trolls, high fantasy games are more popular than ever.  True, a lot of things have changed within the genre.  It is no longer acceptable to have all orks be evil, for example.  But it seems that the appearence of things that existed only in fantasy novels has given fantasy fiction an influx of interest.

In the game, players take on a wide variety of roles, from troll wizards to human thieves.  A few other races are available as well, particularily sprites, lizard-men, and earth elementals.  Though the bulk of the game is slaying monsters (not as easy as it sounds, as the DOA acronym holds to), DOA is also popular because it has an ongoing plot.  Every fall the writers of the game line come up with new plot elements, which are (for the most part) continuous with the ones from the previous year.  Players can look forward to a "new season" of adventure, as it were."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012