Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Describing Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheops
I started running a bi weekly campaign at my university's Gaming Club. I have 3 players of which 2 of them have never played SR before. The one at least is a big fan of Cyberpunk as a genre (esp. the dreaded Gibson) and the other is very clever and catches on quickly. However, I was trying to get them up to speed and ready to play after the one session due to the infrequency of the game.

I briefly touched on the Awakening, Goblinization, Great Ghost Dance, Extraterritoriality, the Corporate Court, Megacorps, and then I got into the basic rules (hits, standard test, extended test, teamwork, and edge). However, the cyberpunk noob is chosing to play a hacker (modeled sort of like Molly) and the other is playing an Ork Elven Path mage (with a specialty in polearms--basically was a guard for an initiate group and kinda picked it up along the way).

So I guess my rambling is getting to this point: what are some of the raps that my fellow GMs and players use out there to prepare fresh meat?
HullBreach
It's sort of like D&D and Bladerunner had a bastard lovechild.......

.....with horns and a machinegun.
X-Kalibur
I say have them play Food Fight. Then when they are all dead and have a better appreciation for what SR is, have them make new characters nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
On the FASA forums, I wrote the following, which may be applicable to other new players (keep in mind, the audience here was people loosely familiar with the computer game):

[ Spoiler ]
James McMurray
Watch Johnny Mnemonic but turn it off before you get very far into it. Also watch Cyberwars if you plan on doing a lot of matrix stuff.

What's a good movie to highlight cyberware?

After that just say "now add magic and metahumans" if they're already familiar with fantasy mainstays like elves, dwarves, and magic.
Herald of Verjigorm
Depending on what sort of Shadowrunning you want to get them to try, you could watch The Italian Job and then tell them "Like that but with a few trolls, cyberware and someone on the crew can cast fireball. Oh, and the chick is a lesbian stripper elf ninja instead of just a safecracker and competant driver."
ronin3338
I use the Bladerunner meets D&D comparison myself.
It's also like Ghost in the Shell with magic and elves, dwarves, etc.
(Especially if you want to play a high-action, cinematic game)
Trigger
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Depending on what sort of Shadowrunning you want to get them to try, you could watch The Italian Job and then tell them "Like that but with a few trolls, cyberware and someone on the crew can cast fireball. Oh, and the chick is a lesbian stripper elf ninja instead of just a safecracker and competant driver."

That or Ronin...which is a much better film IMO and it includes the mysterious Mr (Ms.) Johnson concept, a team that doesn't know each other, ambushes, gun fighting, intrigue, and nice twists with syndicates. Then you just say "Add trolls, magic, cyberware and more lesbian elf ninjas."
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Trigger)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Mar 2 2007, 02:18 PM)
Depending on what sort of Shadowrunning you want to get them to try, you could watch The Italian Job and then tell them "Like that but with a few trolls, cyberware and someone on the crew can cast fireball.  Oh, and the chick is a lesbian stripper elf ninja instead of just a safecracker and competant driver."

That or Ronin...which is a much better film IMO and it includes the mysterious Mr (Ms.) Johnson concept, a team that doesn't know each other, ambushes, gun fighting, intrigue, and nice twists with syndicates. Then you just say "Add trolls, magic, cyberware and more lesbian elf ninjas."

Ronin is a great, underrated film at that. You forgot the double-crossing too. Also as was mentioned not too long ago... Big Trouble in Little China has a good SR feel to it.
the_dunner
At the risk of turning this into a film thread, I've always thought of Sneakers as the perfect example of Shadowrunners in action.
Kagetenshi
"Sell pieces of other people's bodies so you can pay to remove bits of your own body."

~J
Cheops
Yeah for movie references I usually say:

Matrix Trilogy
Johnny Mnemonic
Strange Days
Usual Suspects
Heat
Ronin
Bladerunner
Big Trouble in Little China
Sneakers
La Femme Nikita/the TV series

However, it's summing up the difference between RL and SR. Your intro was pretty good nezumi, although to long to actually say to someone with ADD setting in. (Lol) I'll probably rip some of that off. Honestly, most stuff will get introduced during play. One of the noobs is also a noob in my ED game so he's used to me feeding him in game explanations of game flavour.

Thanks for all the info so far. Keep it coming.
Butterblume
In the past, I threw some movie references around (Bladerunner, Ronin, first half of Johnny Mnemonic) and then handed them the timeline of the BBB.
If they actually read the timeline, I knew they were hooked cyber.gif.

Btw: The first season of Dark Angel is very Shadowrun.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Cheops)
Yeah for movie references I usually say:

Matrix Trilogy
Johnny Mnemonic
Strange Days
Usual Suspects
Heat
Ronin
Bladerunner
Big Trouble in Little China
Sneakers
La Femme Nikita/the TV series

However, it's summing up the difference between RL and SR. Your intro was pretty good nezumi, although to long to actually say to someone with ADD setting in. (Lol) I'll probably rip some of that off. Honestly, most stuff will get introduced during play. One of the noobs is also a noob in my ED game so he's used to me feeding him in game explanations of game flavour.

Thanks for all the info so far. Keep it coming.

Crap. Leaving out La Femme Nikita and Matrix, those are the exact movies I use to describe SR. I used to add in Tron until SR3.
Wounded Ronin
I would just force them to watch (in this order) the following movies without breaks. I would start out giving them Jolt Cola and Mountain Dew, next bottled water, and lastly 40 ounce bottles of Olde English. Keep the room dark and cool for maximum sensory deprivation.

Soda Phase:
1.) Escape From New York
2.) Blade Runner

Water Phase:
3.) The Karate Kid I
4.) Bloodsport

Olde English Phase:
5.) American Ninja I
6.) Lionheart
7.) Big Trouble In Little China
8.) Lone Wolf McQuade

Only then will your players understand the philosophical backdrop of Shadowrun.
tisoz
QUOTE (James McMurray)

The 6 Million Dollar Man and Robocop. Actually, the $6M man got sent on missions, sort of solo adventures. Robocop also has privatized police, like Lone Star, big corporations that don't care about anything but money, and "The Villians" are a bit like a SR team pulling illegal black ops for said big corporation.
Trigger
QUOTE (Butterblume)
In the past, I threw some movie references around (Bladerunner, Ronin, first half of Johnny Mnemonic) and then handed them the timeline of the BBB.
If they actually read the timeline, I knew they were hooked cyber.gif.

Btw: The first season of Dark Angel is very Shadowrun.

Yeah, I love throwing references in for flavor.

I am actually writing a scenario right now for my Commando application based off the weapon buying ambush scene in Ronin....scenario is called "So, You Want to be a Samurai?"
James McMurray
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Mar 2 2007, 01:12 PM)

The 6 Million Dollar Man and Robocop. Actually, the $6M man got sent on missions, sort of solo adventures. Robocop also has privatized police, like Lone Star, big corporations that don't care about anything but money, and "The Villians" are a bit like a SR team pulling illegal black ops for said big corporation.

Both excellent choices that I now feel the urge to go rent again. Robocop is a bit extreme for cyber though, practically a cyberzombie, complete with memory flashback issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012