Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Totems of the CAS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gerzel
There are a few totems that I am looking for to use in my game set in the CAS. Most of them are for animals native to the area which I belive deserve their own totem. Below is a short list.

Opossum
Skunk
Mole
Groundhog
Squirrel

Snakes - Particularly in view of the Cherokee tradition
Rattle Snake
Copperhead (Probably a toxic/corrupt totem)
Other snake species..

Birds - Again in view of the Cherokee tradition
Whiporwhill
Robin
Sparrow
Raven
Turkey

Bull Frog
Crawfish

I am also working on these totems myself as well as other items such as snake/man shapeshifters and other things that fit the myths of the Cherokee and other old Southern Myths.

PS a source I am using for these myths is here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/cher/motc/index.htm
nezumi
Isn't Raven already covered?

Skunk you could just do the opposite of cat - must be smelly or suffers a +1 to spell TNs, domains of illusion (or whichever domain has 'stench', bad domain of.. combat?
Gerzel
QUOTE (nezumi)
Isn't Raven already covered?

Skunk you could just do the opposite of cat - must be smelly or suffers a +1 to spell TNs, domains of illusion (or whichever domain has 'stench', bad domain of.. combat?

Raven might be.

As for skunk, I don't think that being unclean fits the totem. Yes they use smell as a defense but that smell is controlled. The animal still keeps itself groomed. My working idea currently has a stench power that allows shamans of skunk to cause a temporary high background count to spray out in an area. Something that makes it difficult to concentrate and is unpleasant for awakened and non-awakened beings alike.
jrpigman
QUOTE ( Dumpshock Archive)

SQUIRREL (or CHIPMUNK)
Environment:
FOREST

Advantages:
+4d FOREST spirits
+2d MANIPULATION spells
Character:
Squirrel shamans are always picking things up. It's not so much that they're kleptomaniacs, nor are they consciously storing things for later use. It's just a very strong urge-- Squirrel doesn't believe in "useless" things. Everything can be extended into other purposes. But not everything Squirrel does is random-- Squirrel is always thinking about the future, and what may be coming up. She is always storing things up, and taking steps to ensure that change will not take her by surprise.

Disadvantages:
Squirrel is just a bit paranoid. Also, Squirrel shamans DO have unconscious kleptomaniac tendencies in many (but not all) cases. Squirrel shamans are always fretting over something-- did they leave the lights on in the house? Should I do this or that? Is that person danger-ous? If it's not one thing, it's another. Also, Squirrel shamans tend to live in really abysmally messy homes-- they collect all this stuff and then they utterly fail to organize it in any way. Woe be to any marriage between a Mouse and a Squirrel! (It happens. A lot.)

SKUNK
Environment:
FOREST

Advantages:
+2d FOREST spirits
+2d ILLUSION and MANIPULATION spells
Character:
Skunk shamans do not believe in threatening another's life; they far prefer to threaten others' senses. They are fairly nonchalant about life most of the time, and (believe it or not) most are fairly charismatic.

Disadvantages:
Skunk shamans often use their charisma to emotionally harm others; they have a knack for knowing just what will crush you utterly. Also, they are very concerned about reputation, and about the way others think of them. This often drives them into situations that reason says would have been better avoided. They lose 1 die from Combat spells.

OPOSSUM
Environment:
FOREST

Advantages:
+2d FOREST spirits
+2d HEALTH and ILLUSION spells
Character:
Everyone knows the 'possum strategy of playing dead. This is something that Opossum shamans take very seriously-- though they can fight as well as the next totem, they will first try to make the enemy think they are out of the picture. They are into all forms of diversion and distraction, and have a good mind for tactics and strategy.

Disadvantages:
Opposum shamans tend to be a bit overdramatic, and blow things way out of proportion at every opportunity. Opposum sometimes confuses himself. Also, Opposum shamans tend to be fickle and change their minds about things all the time.

TURKEY
Environment:
FIELDS

Advantages:
+3d FIELD spirits
+3d HEALTH spells
Character:
Turkey shamans are generous-- far more than one would think possible, in some cases. Turkey shamans are always concerned about the sick, the poor, and the aged. They are very service-oriented and will go to any lengths to help and protect the down-trodden.

Disadvantages:
Turkey shamans are usually pretty poor, because they rarely hang onto many material things for themselves. In some ways, Turkey is the embodiment of everything that opposes shadowrunning....

I could keep copy/pasting these, but you might as well just check it out yourself.
X-Kalibur
I would've figured the Turkey disadvantage involves making a will test to not stare up into the rain and drown grinbig.gif
bclements
Wild Turkeys are actually pretty damn smart. It's pretty scary when you're out in a clearing in the woods (not even trying to hunt one) and one pulls a Maverick-style flyby on you.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
I would've figured the Turkey disadvantage involves making a will test to not stare up into the rain and drown grinbig.gif

From what I've heard it's the domesticated turkeys that are dumb as bricks. The ones that are just raised to be eaten. The wild ones are supposed to be a lot smarter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012