Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crashing programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eryk the Red
I ran my first major hacking encounter this weekend, and the clever player decided to try to crash the security hacker's attack program.

So I dealt with it as I saw fit, but decided today to check the rules to see how it's meant to be done.

What I can't figure out is what it takes to get a crashed program running again. Just a complex action to load the program again? Or something more?
Jestercat
Well, I'm going to go by actual logic here and say that crashing a program is simply going to cause it to terminate (usually), so yes, reloading it is sufficient. In some cases it may cause the program to lock up, causing a reduction in performance (System rating) until it is unloaded.
Eryk the Red
Sounds about right. That's how I ran it, anyway.

Gives me ideas about specialized attack programs that cause additional problems when crashing programs. The program list needs some sprucing up.
deek
Yeah, just a complex action to reload the program. And in the matrix, that complex action is pretty big...don't know too many hackers that really want to have to spend a complex during tense moments/action to just load a program...
Konsaki
I just dont understand how you can crash a TM's CF... It makes no sense considering it's a part of the TM's brain...
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Konsaki)
I just dont understand how you can crash a TM's CF... It makes no sense considering it's a part of the TM's brain...

Just imagine a bullet rattling around in the main CPU....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012