Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 Magic in the Matrix
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
scottishstreetsamurai
Hello All,

My first post here (been playing SR since 1989 first edition though!)

I have a question concerning third edition rules.

I know that all magically active characters add their Magic Rating to their matrix TN's, but I can't find the reference in the rulebook.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
tisoz
There is no such rule in 3rd edition. Matrix page 28 explicitly addresses the awakened and the matrix and states there is no penalty for being awakened.

I think there was such a rule in SR1 and SR2, but it did not continue to SR3.
scottishstreetsamurai
*Swears loudly* (at himself)

Yeah, I found that, but I simply thought it was an oversight!

Hmm..., makes the Dragon Hunt scenario somewhat useless.

Thanks for the swift reply.
Drraagh
This is a bit of a strange question based off the topic of this post. If you have a mage connected to the trix by some way, like trodes or a VR rig and then tries to cast a spell, what would happen? I would say datajack, but then that is direct brain stimulation so it may not cause this effect.

And example of this situation I mean is, well, let's say the mage had an irrational fear of being trapped in small spaces; claustrophobia. So then while they were surfing the net, they ended up perhaps by way of some decker attacking them that they were then enclosed in a box and their fear kicked in and their mind reacted before realizing it was just an illusion. They tried to cast some offensive spell. What would happen? Would that suffer from the TN of trying to act in both worlds mentioned in Matrix I think? Don't have my books with me here at work.
Backgammon
I would say he has LOS to nothing, so nothing happens. He simply cant cast spells.

In the case he casts a spell that does not require LOS, i would apply the modifiers.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Drraagh)
This is a bit of a strange question based off the topic of this post. If you have a mage connected to the trix by some way, like trodes or a VR rig and then tries to cast a spell, what would happen? I would say datajack, but then that is direct brain stimulation so it may not cause this effect.

And example of this situation I mean is, well, let's say the mage had an irrational fear of being trapped in small spaces; claustrophobia. So then while they were surfing the net, they ended up perhaps by way of some decker attacking them that they were then enclosed in a box and their fear kicked in and their mind reacted before realizing it was just an illusion. They tried to cast some offensive spell. What would happen? Would that suffer from the TN of trying to act in both worlds mentioned in Matrix I think? Don't have my books with me here at work.

...had a decker with Phobia of crawling bugs. When coming across similar sculpted icons and IC, her phobia modifiers kicked in until she could distance herself from them. There was no moment's later realisation of "oh, that is just a construct". If the visuals are sculpted well, they will have an effect.

Years ago, I "flew" a real aircraft simulator once (like the pilots train with), though I "knew" I was on the ground, it was just a digital projection, and I didn't have 200 passengers depending on me, I still had white knuckles, increased heart rate, and sweaty palms while handling an emergency situation. I would say with simsense, the experience would even be more so.

Remember the motto...

--Better Than Life...

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Mar 9 2007, 03:57 PM)
I would say he has LOS to nothing, so nothing happens. He simply cant cast spells.

In the case he casts a spell that does not require LOS, i would apply the modifiers.

No, he can still cast a spell. If the spell requires a LOS then the spell will fizzle, but there will be drain.
Link
I think there was such a rule in SR1 and SR2, but it did not continue to SR3.

It was in Virtual Realities IIRC. +1/Magic rating point added to TN while decking.

Hello All,

My first post here (been playing SR since 1989 first edition though!)

Those who remember the old ways will always be welcome here. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012