Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rule: Movement/Distances
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
deek
I have been thinking a lot about streamlining movement as well as distances (for purpose of drawing maps). I am hoping to simplify this whole aspect as it still bugs me and causes a lot of discrepencies to game flow during combat.

Current movement rates:

Humans, elves, orks Walking = 10m/turn, Running = 25m/turn
Dwarfs Walking = 8m/turn, Running = 20m/turn
Trolls Walking = 16m/turn, Running = 36m/turn

What I want to do is first make a general conversion change of, 1m = 4ft. This would be across the board and when mapping things out, one would make each hex be 1m, or 4 feet. I think this will help me to conceptualize everything better, as well as give a solid and easy basis to play from.

So, I would adjust the movement rates as follows:

Humans, elves, orks Walking = 12m/turn, Running = 24m/turn
Dwarfs Walking = 8m/turn, Running = 20m/turn
Trolls Walking = 16m/turn, Running = 36m/turn

And making everything divisible by 4 works to make this easier for IP calculations. So, the same table, broken down by IP is:

Humans, elves, orks Walking = 3m/IP, Running = 6m/IP
Dwarfs Walking = 2m/IP, Running = 4m/IP
Trolls Walking = 4m/IP, Running = 9m/IP

And with all hexes broken down into 1m increments, that makes it so the above table is also how many hexes you move per IP. The only inconsistency I see is with a Trolls running speed...as they are getting 1 more meter per IP. I could drop it down to 32m/turn, which then makes it 8m/IP, effectively doubling running rates across the board.

And then the only thing outstanding, to me, is sprinting. Current rules are set for every success on a sprinting test add 2m to the running rate per turn. I am thinking to adjust that up to each success adds 4m to the running rate per turn. Which obviously breaks down to 1m/IP. That keeps me away from decimals and rounding.

Granted, it will give more movement for sprinting, and I am not 100% sure that is balanced. For example, if given 4 successes on a sprinting test, at 2m per success, the player will move an additonal 2m/IP. In my suggestion, that same player would get an additional 4m/IP. Comparing to 1 success, at 2m per success, the player will move an additional .5m/IP versus 1m/IP using my suggestion. With rounding, I suppose that would go up to 1m/IP, so let me conceptualize in a table:

Current Rules for Sprinting:

1 success = 2m/turn or 1m/IP (rounding up)
2 success = 4m/turn or 1m/IP
3 success = 6m/turn or 2m/IP (rounding up)
4 success = 8m/turn or 2m/IP
5 success = 10m/turn or 3m/IP
6 success = 12m/turn or 3m/IP

Suggested Change:

1 success = 4m/turn or 1m/IP
2 success = 8m/turn or 2m/IP
3 success = 12m/turn or 3m/IP
4 success = 16m/turn or 4m/IP
5 success = 20m/turn or 5m/IP
6 success = 24m/turn or 6m/IP

Looking at it again, that may be a bit too much actually...but I have it open for discussion, nonetheless.

So, by modifying the movement rates a bit, keeping things divisible by 4, we don't have any crazy math to worry about and things fit nicely in each IP. And, by stating 1m=4feet=1hex, we have a pretty straightforward conversion when moving on a map. Lastly, I think I can conceptualize 4 feet much easier when I draw maps, so we don't have a bunch of crazy occurrences in game. Then all I need to make sure I do is keep the maps consistent and accurate (which I will certainly work at).

Looking at the range tables for firearms, there is really nothing needing adjustment, as everything is in meters which we can basically just replace with "hexes". So, short range of 0-5 meters, assuming maps are all in 1m hexes, just means 0-5 hexes from the target...should be pretty simple.

Grenades, with regards to scatter and blast radius, all follow meter increments, so it should be easier to see as long as I keep the maps at a 1 hex = 1 meter.

I'm just looking for feedback. The whole purpose of this is to speed up our gameplay and not have to worry about trying to keep track of half hex movements and the like. Also, as an FYI, I do run combat with there always being 4IPs, with movement occuring even if the player doesn't have an action. So, that is why I have assigned importance on divisibility by 4.
Konsaki
As for your base movement speed houserule, I see nothing wrong with it.

For the sprinting rules though, I would leave them alone. If your player rolls a number that would put him right between 2 hex/blocks on a grid, then you can either round down or leave him on the line and let him get another .5m later.
deek
I was leaning towards that regarding sprinting as well. I moved it up at first, but when I saw it in the table, I kinda thought that was a bit much...
ShadowDragon
My group uses a hex grid and similar rules for movement. Check my sig, it's under combat houserules.
deek
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
My group uses a hex grid and similar rules for movement. Check my sig, it's under combat houserules.

How does that seem to work in your group? I see how you didn't change anything from the total movement of a metatype, but just spelled out what they could do each pass...certainly another good method.

I was reading through your other houserules and I see a lot of things in there that my group has come across and had to make rulings on...I kinda laughed when seeing drug prices, as that has come up on multiple occaisions in my group as well...kinda retarded that BBB didn't have any costs for drugs...

Its nice to see other GMs have thought along the same lines with movement!
Crakkerjakk
NO!!!!! Metric is pure... English measurements are unclean....UNCLEAN!!!!!

More importantly, if you're rounding meters to the next foot, it would be 3 ft, as a meter is about 3.3. ft.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (deek)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Mar 9 2007, 04:42 PM)

How does that seem to work in your group? I see how you didn't change anything from the total movement of a metatype, but just spelled out what they could do each pass...certainly another good method.

I was reading through your other houserules and I see a lot of things in there that my group has come across and had to make rulings on...I kinda laughed when seeing drug prices, as that has come up on multiple occaisions in my group as well...kinda retarded that BBB didn't have any costs for drugs...

Its nice to see other GMs have thought along the same lines with movement!

It's worked out really well. It's a little slower than running combat using pure oral description and without a grid, but most of my players are wargamers so the tactical angle is more fun for them.

Yea, most of my houserules address inadequacies in the existing rules. I don't like adding rules just for the hell of it. And I try to make them blend in with the existing rules as much as I can.
deek
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
NO!!!!! Metric is pure... English measurements are unclean....UNCLEAN!!!!!

More importantly, if you're rounding meters to the next foot, it would be 3 ft, as a meter is about 3.3. ft.

Yeah, my players and I are aware of the accurate conversions, we have just found it cumbersome to break it down during combat. We have come across plenty of times, based on my mapping preferences, where a certain pass would net no movement or partial movement per pass. It just got to be more of a hassle and slowed everything down even more.

My preference would be to use 5' hexes for all our mapping...maybe up to 10' in certain situations. We like using our battlemats for combat. I had tried 3' hexes and then 6' hexes, but we always ran into problems and personally, I had more trouble drawing everything to scale using either of those increments.

So, making a meter represent 4' (in our game, not RL), seems to cover this problem, allowing me quicker drawing of maps and simpler movement and distance estimates in-game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012