Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Fashion!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GM on the Threshold
Looking through my newest copy of Goth Beauty magazine, I spied an ad for a place that specializes in cyber-fetish clothing. Check out this link and see if you don't immediately start picturing your characters in some of the outfits they've got on the website:

http://www.cryoflesh.com/

I'll probably end up doing some mini conversions based on ideas from their website too. biggrin.gif
Demerzel
One of my players dresses like that all the time. alien.gif
Kyoto Kid
...hmmm, this would be good for our DS Artists to see.

Letsee the Victoria Dress and the Neo Longjacket that would be a nice ensemble for my hacker Violet
fistandantilus4.0
couple of those jackets aren't bad
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Demerzel)
One of my players dresses like that all the time. alien.gif

is it now that i should ask what gender said player is?
Demerzel
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Mar 10 2007, 12:14 AM)
One of my players dresses like that all the time.  alien.gif

is it now that i should ask what gender said player is?

I haven't gotten up the nerve to ask it.

Actually, no, he's a he, and he reads these boards on rare occasions so I shouldn't be too mean. nyahnyah.gif He's got a pair of goggles where the glass is red trefoils. (Trefoil = the old nuclear warning sign)
Kyoto Kid
...Posted the link to both Squinky's and HolyChampion's art threads.
PBTHHHHT
Erk, I didn't like any of the jackets for the guys. Some of the one for the girls aren't too bad, just some.
Trigger
I like some of the clothing styles on this site and my end up borrowing some of the ideas for future artwork of my own as well.
WhiskeyMac
Some of the stuff is alright but what's up with the weird Final Fantasy inspired stuff? I can understand trying to be "different" but 4 1/4" heels! WTF!
Tomothy
I liked some stuff but wasn't a fan of the pointy hoods and flaring cuffs on half the lady clothes.
PBTHHHHT
hmmm... was visiting some shirow site, I found out about this group. They made the shrug (shrug?) that Kusanagi wears from Ghost in the Shell. They also have a bunch of other clothing from other series.

http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-motoko-shrug.php
hobgoblin
hmm, they even have the hooded suit from kingdom hearts 2 nyahnyah.gif
(the abbyshot link)

as for cryoflesh, there was some pants, and maybe a jacket or two i could be interested in. still, it was some of their more low key items...
knasser
I never really envisioned 2070 as an explosion in a goth clothing shop, so this leads to the question, what do people wear in SR4? Are we talking Fifth Element or Blade Runner, here? Personally, I think the former would be a better match, though I thought the low-key changes in Aliens were good (at the start, where Ripley's being tried for blowing up the Nostromo).
nezumi
I'd definitely go with bladerunner. Keep in mind, Fifth Element wasn't even out when Shadowrun started. I'm a little sad that Shadowrun doesn't have the throw-away paper clothes that CP2020 has. But in general I would say to expect a lot of leather analogues, jeans or tight pants, utility clothes, fish-net stockings. Lots of punk influences, so a certain amount of gender-ambiguous clothes (my punker dresses like David bowie from the Labyrinth with a bigger jacket and bigger hair). A lot of the 2050's. 2060's and perhaps even 2070's clothes should be 'retro' - remake of stuff we wore in the 80's, with a few more high-tech features.
Aaron
QUOTE (nezumi)
I'm a little sad that Shadowrun doesn't have the throw-away paper clothes that CP2020 has.

You mean flats?
nezumi
I believe that's what they were called, but I can't be certain.
Luddite
1) The "Stealth 50" boots from the sale section would probably add about +1 power to a kick.
2) The guy clothes were pretty bad. That isn't to say that there won't be people in 2070 dressing that way, but I doubt they'd be anything more than patsy runners. IMHO real, professional runners do not dress too flashy or memorably.
3) I didn't mind the long hoods or flare sleeves. What with all the Dwarves, Elves, Trolls, Mages, Orks, etc. running around I imagine that faux-medieval is probably pretty popular.
4) I've never really adapted CP2020ish fashion for the future, 'cause things like real leather or cotton probably aren't that rare in SR. While there's plenty of environmental degradation and pollution, there are also lots of areas that have been brought back to an almost pre-industrial revolution state. Not that fake leather wouldn't be cheaper, but the real thing is still around. Again, IMHO that is the kind of thing a runner would indulge in, to display his taste and success.
hobgoblin
heh, it dawned on me that the first of the jacket photos look remarkably similar to some of the "art" in CPv3 nyahnyah.gif
Tomothy
If I was a meta-human I'd personally be making an effort to avoid any connection with all that medieval/fantasy business.
Cain
QUOTE (nezumi)

Flats existed in SR3, in the SSG. I recall a mention of them in SR4, but I can't recall where.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (nezumi)

P 47

"your nice clothes from getting messy, gory, or otherwise
trashed), there are always “flats”—buy them from a vending
machine, wear them a few times, and recycle them for a new
pair. Convenient, yes; fashionable—no way! On the other
hand, fl ats mean never having to worry about getting out
those troublesome bloodstains."
nezumi
Oh hey, there they are! I just wish they had a line in the main book where people first learn what is 'acceptable' in Shadowrun nyahnyah.gif Yes, I know, always a complainer. Next I'll be asking for the fake SIN costs to be in street gear too. Maybe I should go to SR4 just for the better organization of the books.
2bit
really cool! hate the pointy hoods though. I would actually get some of those if I lived in a city. . . I'd look so out of place (and very warm)wearing that stuff in florida suburbia.

LOL! check out "Elektro Inca" in the unisex tops category. . . if circuitry and mesoamerican stylings next to the word "shaman" doesn't say Shadowrun, I don't know what does!
Luddite
No shaman in their right mind would be caught dead in that shirt. The first rule of Shadowrun gunplay is "geek the mage first."

Also, while a lot of metas would probably avoid anything even slightly medieval like the plague there are some who would revel in it (Sons of Sauron anyone?)
hobgoblin
there are always some vocal minorities that have to attract attention to them selfs...
yoippari
Are you talking about shadowrun or the existance of that store?
GM on the Threshold
really cool! hate the pointy hoods though. I would actually get some of those if I lived in a city. . . I'd look so out of place (and very warm)wearing that stuff in florida suburbia.

I hear ya on that. I'm a Florida swamp-dweller as well. cool.gif

As for that Abby Shot website- those are some fairly exorbiant prices. Several of the pieces I see on there are listed with other major retailers (Museum Replicas, etc) for about 1/6th the price (and Museum Replicas items tend to be officially licened).
hobgoblin
QUOTE (yoippari)
Are you talking about shadowrun or the existance of that store?

in a way both i guess nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (2bit)

err, the name of the place is cryoflesh, no?
2bit
QUOTE (GM on the Threshold)
I hear ya on that. I'm a Florida swamp-dweller as well. cool.gif

I guess we're from opposite ends, then, I'm from the scrub dead.gif
WhiskeyMac
I'm in Arizona so I'd look pretty out of place down here too. We have Winter (End of October to End of March) and Summer (everytime else). Summers are usually 95+ with a good amount above 100. Course, some "goth" kids down here still wear full length leather dusters and heavy duty hoodies.

There was that one dwarf in Steven Kenson's new book who not only embraced his medieval/fantasy connections but also ran a store that catered to other metas, or even humans, with those tendencies.
Abschalten
I'd actually compiled a list of links I happened across for a Shadowrun community I'm a part of, on just this very topic. I thought that the general look and forward-thinking nature of the clothing design was very 2070. I won't waste a bunch of time explaining them, but I'll copy and paste what I gave them, and you guys can dig through them at your leisure.

------------------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/qxjmr - A brief overview of the cyber fashion movement with some interesting external links at the bottom.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,68432-0.html - August of last year, some people (with help from their sponsors) held the 4th Annual Siggraph Cyber Fashion Show in Los Angeles. Read the article, then click on the thumbnails to the upper-right to start perusing some of the more interesting entries. Also read the descriptions, as some of the clothes have some fairly interesting applications and built-in utility as well.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...storyId=4787070 - More coverage from the same event, with some slightly different photos.

http://psymbiote.org/cyfash/2005/ - A more detailed look at some of the items in the fashion show that didn't make it into the articles above. NSFW Warning -- Slight nudity at the bottom of the page.

http://www.plastikwrap.com/ - Perusing the galleries at this site is a good way to get a quick visual fix. If you're interested, you can shop there, too!

http://www.mutaytor.com/index.php - A performance art/musical group that exemplifies the cyber motif with their fashion and music.

http://soulinthemachine.com/ - Similar to the above, these guys are a performance art/musical group that integrate some pretty hot fashion and tech into their shows. You OWE it to yourself to check out the laser harp!
lorechaser
Some of that stuff is actually fairly cool.

http://psymbiote.org/cyfash/2005/ - A more detailed look at some of the items in the fashion show that didn't make it into the articles above. NSFW Warning -- Slight nudity at the bottom of the page.

That's the interesting link, because they actually do more than show a few pictures, they tell you the tech that's going on.

But the NSFW warning is a bit more than slight - it's a topless woman with a necklace on. When I see the phrase "Slight nudity" I assume something like a pair of sheer pants or the like, not actual breasts. wink.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Luddite)
No shaman in their right mind would be caught dead in that shirt. The first rule of Shadowrun gunplay is "geek the mage first."

Also, while a lot of metas would probably avoid anything even slightly medieval like the plague there are some who would revel in it (Sons of Sauron anyone?)

i dunno--i think non-Awakened types would be just as likely to wear cool, tribal-looking clothing as the Awakened. don't judge a caster by his hoodie.
WhiskeyMac
The BBB actually states that someone who is wearing obviously "magical" gear is more likely mundane and a mage groupie than an actual mage.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (lorechaser)
But the NSFW warning is a bit more than slight - it's a topless woman with a necklace on. When I see the phrase "Slight nudity" I assume something like a pair of sheer pants or the like, not actual breasts.

nipples, to me thats slight nyahnyah.gif

but then i guess austin i located in the nation that went haywire because of a nipple on display on national tv for what amounted to seconds iirc...

all to often you run into ladies sunbathing topless on public beaches in the old world wink.gif

and yes, said page was highly interesting. the most interesting ones was some of the images in the next to last category. the looked almost ordinary except for the color and material combos...
Abschalten
Call me considerate, then... I don't relish the idea of somebody going apeshit 'cause their boss fired them over a nipple shown on a relatively harmless and tasteful website. I'd rather err on the side of caution for those folks.
hobgoblin
i could make a comment here about trigger happy bosses but maybe ill save that for some other time...
ornot
I'd have thought their boss would be more likely to fire them for goofing off, looking at non-work related websites. Which, I guess includes DS.
GM on the Threshold
I'd have thought their boss would be more likely to fire them for goofing off, looking at non-work related websites. Which, I guess includes DS.

I suppose I fall into the lucky crowd that can call this work-related research (being that I run a comic/gaming store, I use that excuse alot for surfing).

Customer: Are you goofing off online again?
Me: Nope, doing some research for another game. biggrin.gif
lorechaser
QUOTE (ornot)

There's a different level between "goofing off" and "surfing sites that could get us sued for sexual harassment." wink.gif

Corps are pretty trigger happy on nudity in the US in general.

hobgoblin
yet another reason for me to never get a job over there...
PBTHHHHT
Gawd, just visited the psymbiote site since y'all are talking about it. jewelry that's been made via rapid prototyping... woooo...

gawd, I can't get away from work... it even appears on the forums... noooo! indifferent.gif

As for the model, yeah, definitely in the category of NSFW for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012