Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spells and Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tomothy
Brought up in another thread was that mages cannot roll more hits than the force of the spell they're casting. The exception to this being edge. Now does this mean if you add edge then all the hits count? Or that you have to roll edge seperately and they count regardless of whether or not you've already rolled hits equal to the force of the spell?

Confusing? Example:

Little Timmy is rolling to cast manabolt at force 5. He rolls 5 for his magic, 5 for his spellcasting and 2 for his mentor spirit = 12 dice. He is also rolling 4 edge dice.

For his normal dice he rolls: 6, 4, 4, 5, 6, 3, 4, 2, 4, 4, 5, 3

Then he re-rolls two dice and gets: 5, 5

This gives him a total of six hits.

For his edge dice he rolls: 3, 5, 4, 6

Then he re-rolls one dice and gets: 5

This gives him a total of three edge hits.

How many hits do you think Timmy gets? I'm guessing it's max five hits from non-edge dice plus three hits from edge dice for a total of eight hits.

Still too confusing?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Tomothy)
Brought up in another thread was that mages cannot roll more hits than the force of the spell they're casting. The exception to this being edge. Now does this mean if you add edge then all the hits count? Or that you have to roll edge seperately and they count regardless of whether or not you've already rolled hits equal to the force of the spell?

Confusing? Example:

Little Timmy is rolling to cast manabolt at force 5. He rolls 5 for his magic, 5 for his spellcasting and 2 for his mentor spirit = 12 dice. He is also rolling 4 edge dice.

For his normal dice he rolls: 6, 4, 4, 5, 6, 3, 4, 2, 4, 4, 5, 3

Then he re-rolls two dice and gets: 5, 5

This gives him a total of six hits.

For his edge dice he rolls: 3, 5, 4, 6

Then he re-rolls one dice and gets: 5

This gives him a total of three edge hits.

How many hits do you think Timmy gets? I'm guessing it's max five hits from non-edge dice plus three hits from edge dice for a total of eight hits.

Still too confusing?

from my reading of the BBB, pages 171-2, the example above would give Little Timmy 3 hits from his regular dice (even though he got 5 with rerolls, the -dice- are still the regular dice and therefore hits are limited by the Force) and 3 more hits from the Edge dice.

I just became aware of this sleaze around the Force limitation. Why on Earth did they do this?? It was so simple and logical to be limited by the Force.
Ravor
Yeah, but unless you use a different color of Dice for Edge or throw the Doce twice its just easier to roll everything at once and say that using Edge gets rid of the Force Limitor entirely.

As for being broken, well, as long as you aren't giving Edge Refreshes away like candy I don't think it'll be much of a problem. At least I haven't and I give 1 Edge Point per night of normal rest.

knasser
Cast my vote for the Force of the spell being a hard cap. If a player wants to get more hits using edge, then they can cast the spell at a higher force in the first place and take the drain.

Edge is utmost effort and luck. Force of spell is effort and commitment to the magic. You don't get to say I will not really put much effort and commitment into casting this spell (low force), but I'll try my best and excel myself (spend edge) at the same time.
tisoz
QUOTE (knasser)
Edge is utmost effort and luck. Force of spell is effort and commitment to the magic. You don't get to say I will not really put much effort and commitment into casting this spell (low force), but I'll try my best and excel myself (spend edge) at the same time.

But the character with high edge (luck) could just as easily say, "I can cast this spell at a lower force because I'm pretty lucky and I will get a terriffic result."
Prime Mover
pg 171 BBB "This limitation does not apply to edge dice that are used to boost a spell."

Looks like this refers to dice added to test as opposed to dice recieved from spending edge. ie rerolls
pestulens
The way edge works in evere other case, most notably the "rule of 6's", is that when edge is added before the role then all dice are edge dice but when it is added after only the dice added by edge are edge dice.
so in the example above he gets nine hits. however if he insted roled his normal dice for and was not satisfied with the 3 hits he got (no edge = no re-role) and decided then to spend a point of edge he gets the 3 more hits as well for a total of 6
Glyph
Not quite. Skill dice don't become Edge dice when you declare Edge ahead of the roll, but they do become subject to the roll of 6. So a spellcaster spending Edge before he casts a spell gets to re-roll all of his sixes, but only the actual Edge dice may be used to go over the normal limit on net hits.

This is still nice, though. With the other dice exploding, the spellcaster is likelier to get the maximum number of successes with them, and then the Edge dice can exceed that limit.

It might seem to make Edge-enhanced spellcasting overly powerful, but it makes mundane combat pretty damn powerful too - a sammie who rolls 15 dice for an attack and adds Edge of 5 to it suddenly has 20 exploding dice, an insta-kill for most enemies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012