Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drakes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tomothy
I've been reading the Ancient Files and I was wondering what the deal is with dragons creating drakes?
Ancient History
Be more specific, please. The magical ritual, or the social reprecussions, or what?
Tomothy
Specifically I don't know anything about it except what I read in the files ie that it's possible. nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
Ah, weel. In terms of Shadowrun, a Drake is a unique life form, akin to an ally spirit, created by dragon ritual magic. Some more details on that in the Dragons PDF. There are some variations on the process, for example creating drakes that are less powerful and intelligent (the 'false' drakes used by Alamaise).

Drakes are inherently loyal and powerful, but are difficult to create. Hence, when the so-called 'bred' drakes showed up during and after the Year of the Comet, the dragons were naturally very interested. For more details on that, see Threats 2.

There are also a number of lesser dragon-related creatures (dracoforms) known in layman's terms as 'drakes,' but their connection to true dragons or drakes is unknown. They generally appear less powerful and intelligent than true drakes.

Dragon societal regulations generally limit the number of drakes a dragon can create. The acknowledged master of creating drakes, and the one who formerly crafted the most, was Ghostwalker. Whether any of his drakes survived, or if he has created any more, is unknown at this time.
Synner667
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Ah, weel. In terms of Shadowrun, a Drake is a unique life form, akin to an ally spirit, created by dragon ritual magic. Some more details on that in the Dragons PDF. There are some variations on the process, for example creating drakes that are less powerful and intelligent (the 'false' drakes used by Alamaise).

Drakes are inherently loyal and powerful, but are difficult to create. Hence, when the so-called 'bred' drakes showed up during and after the Year of the Comet, the dragons were naturally very interested. For more details on that, see Threats 2.

There are also a number of lesser dragon-related creatures (dracoforms) known in layman's terms as 'drakes,' but their connection to true dragons or drakes is unknown. They generally appear less powerful and intelligent than true drakes.

Dragon societal regulations generally limit the number of drakes a dragon can create. The acknowledged master of creating drakes, and the one who formerly crafted the most, was Ghostwalker. Whether any of his drakes survived, or if he has created any more, is unknown at this time.

Hmmm..
..Interesting.

I've not read the Ancients Files for a while, nor the Dragons PDF, but I'm curious how what you say relates to that young chap who grew up, became a shadowrunner and then was revealed to be a Drake.

Peter
fistandantilus4.0
The True Drakes, the ones that are created, are done in a magical ritual by the dragons. For some reference of what it might entail, there's a ritual spell from Earthdawn called Create Life. You can essentially create living creature. It's a blood magic ritual thogh, requiring the blood of creatures that have the qualities you want. As not all dragons are big on blood magic, I assume the dragon's ritual for drakes is a bit different.

Bred drakes, unlike True Drakes, can procreate. They're also not as strong (lower attributes and the like, at least according to DoSW. There was a big to do back in the 4th age involving a human girl that was apaprently turning in to a drake.Which means that she could msot liekly reproduce. So the bred drakes could possibly be her ancestors. It's a big deal because they're born and the dragons don't have to put all that effort in to creating a drake, which apaprently takes a lot of time and energy. Since drakes are 'naturally' the servants of dragons, and can move among metahumanity unnoticed, and are generlly rather powerful, dragons like to have them handy.
Ancient History
Which one? smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Mercury is the only guy I can think of that was "revealed to be a drake"
ludomastro
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 10 2007, 11:10 PM)
There was a big to do back in the 4th age involving a human girl that was apaprently turning in to a drake.Which means that she could msot liekly reproduce. So the bred drakes could possibly be her ancestors.

[nit-pick]
Don't you mean descendents?
[/nit-pick]
Ancient History
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Mercury is the only guy I can think of that was "revealed to be a drake"

There was the guy in Threats 2.
Cheops
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Bred drakes, unlike True Drakes, can procreate. They're also not as strong (lower attributes and the like, at least according to DoSW. There was a big to do back in the 4th age involving a human girl that was apaprently turning in to a drake.Which means that she could msot liekly reproduce. So the bred drakes could possibly be her ancestors. It's a big deal because they're born and the dragons don't have to put all that effort in to creating a drake, which apaprently takes a lot of time and energy. Since drakes are 'naturally' the servants of dragons, and can move among metahumanity unnoticed, and are generlly rather powerful, dragons like to have them handy.

Actually, the Big Deal with her, and the reason why Icewing/Ghostwalker was trying to create this new "race" of beings was because during the downcycle all the Drakes would go to sleep along with the Dragon masters. As a result the dragons were susceptible to downcycle hunting and would have to rebuild their power after waking up.

The Drakes created through contact with the Book of Blue Spirits, as Name-Givers, could stay awake longer (or indefinitely in the case of Humans), be completely loyal (unlike children of the dragons--such as the Elven Queen and Denairastas Clan), and ensure that the dragon's power base is established and ready for it when it wakes up.
fistandantilus4.0
Don't you mean descendents?

Hehe...oops, yes.

There was the guy in Threats 2.

I thought of him, but he wasn't really 'revealed'. In the context of the story, we started out knowing he was a drake, and never really knew who he was before.

Perhaps Sy667 could clarify for us?
Ancient History
Hence my original question: which one?
nathanross
Drakes in the sixth word were first introduced in Threats 2, though actual game info didnt come out until Dragons of the Sixth World. Read both and buy all the 3rd edition stuff, its better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012