Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martyr mentor Spirit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
limejello10512
Well after reeducating myself as to how mentor spirits work I've decided to take some of the advice that's been offered here

Mentor Spirit: Martyr-

The Great Spirit of the Martyr Lives to sacrifice of himself to help others, without any consideration for his own well being. He protects the innocent and despises slefishness, greed and cowerdice when the time to serve comes for he would sooner destroy himself than take advantage of an innocent. His favored children are any that protect others particulalrly at their own expense.
Common manifestations include examples of martyrs: from Jesus, to fallen heros and in some cases muslim suicide bombers.

Benifit +2 health and counter spelling.
Penalty: Whenever the mage wants to allow an innocent to suffer for his own gain in even the smallest way (like not giving a beggar change) He must always go out of his way to help or succeed in a willpower +charisma(3) test to ignore or take advantage of the Unfortunate soul.
knasser

I don't wish to be critical. The idea of a martyr mentor spirit is a good one. And Jesus is a shining example. But I disagree with the the inclusion of muslim suicide bombers as martyrs. The Koran is very specific in forbidding the murder of innocents. While I reluctantly see how you could include them under self-sacrifice, I don't see how you can reconcile it with the "helping others, unable to pass by a beggar" mindset. The two approachs of self-sacrifice are psychologically very different. I would remove that example.

Other than that, your spirit may be balanced, but it would depend a little too much on how the GM played it. Shadowrun is a dark world, and unless the magician is walking around with his eyes closed and never watches the news, I don't see how he couldn't be under constant Willpower + Charisma tests to avoid helping. As to innocents, what qualifies? The security guard one of your teammates has just shot? After all, he was just trying to do his job and protect his employers from thieves like the party. So is that another Willpower and Charisma test not to heal him?

I think it would take a fair bit of GM co-operation to make this work. At the least, you need to lower the threshold from 3 for the test as only strong minded people would pass it on average.

My opinion, anyway. Good idea, but still needs changing as the penalities are too strong.
Wasabi
It seems fine to me balance-wise but I doubt I'd include it in my own game. Phoenix can do plenty well for those wanting to focus on a martyr-like concept.
limejello10512
I definately understand your' point nasser and I certainly don't condone suicide bombers... in fact I'm very patriotic and I've long said the only good violent muslim radical is a dead one...however bare in mind that spirits have a warped and illogical sense of morality...they kind of help their follwers do what ever they want. If theythought like you or I very few of them would help shadow runners...but they still do. The fact of the matter however is muslim radicals certainly meet the criteria for the great martyr spirit. They sacrifice themselves for the good of all muslims as they see it. Evil though they may be they are certainly selfless, and while I certianly don't see martyr approaving of slaugtering innocent people they are still his followers and he probably wouldn't do more than act as a voice of reason to jamal islayma.
Also the 3 test is given for many sprits from wolf to sky father...3 is the threshold

However I don't see pheonix being anyhting like martyr...hes a spirit of creation and rebirth.
Glyph
I agree with Knasser that suicide bombers don't fit into the concept of this mentor spirit as you have written it. They would be better as an example of the twisted way for this mentor spirit.
6thDragon
I'd agree that it could be a version of the twisted way. Islamic suicide bombers do what they do because their culture honors those to sacrifice themselves for a just cause. What most people in the West fail to realise is that when the state of Israel came into existence hundreds of thousands of palestinians were forced from their villages at gunpoint, in what can only be described as ethnic cleansing. After several decades and Israel ignoring countless UN resolutions the average palestinian doesn't care to differentiate between a soldier who keeps them off their land or the israeli civilian who lives on it. Under Islamic laws ethnic cleansing is one of the greatest forms of injustice and the average "martyr", in his own mind, simply is trying to correct past injustices.
Redjack
QUOTE (6thDragon)
I'd agree that it could be a version of the twisted way.

As to the twisted way, I agree with that as well.

Islamic suicide bombers do what they do because their culture honors those to sacrifice themselves for a just cause.  What most people in the West fail to realise is that when the state of Israel came into existence hundreds of thousands of palestinians were forced from their villages at gunpoint, in what can only be described as ethnic cleansing.  After several decades and Israel ignoring countless UN resolutions the average palestinian doesn't care to differentiate between a soldier who keeps them off their land or the israeli civilian who lives on it.  Under Islamic laws ethnic cleansing is one of the greatest forms of injustice and the average "martyr", in his own mind, simply is trying to correct past injustices.

This is generally refered to as "revisionist history" or "Historical revisionism (negationism)".
Ravor
Of course it is considering that history is written by the winners...
6thDragon
Every country has it's own version of history. In America those who shead light on things like the Trail of Tears, or other treatment of Native Americans, Japanese struggles over WWII atrocities, China is beginning to reconsider a lot of chairman Mao's initiative like the Great Leap Forward, and the Israelis are beginning to own up to what they did in Palestine. Read "The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine" by Ilan Pappe. Considered to be an Israeli "revisionist historian". Eventually the truth comes out.
knasser

Islam does honour those who sacrifice themselves for others. It also contains strong prohibitions against suicide and the murder of innocents. I think most muslims remain against it, though for obvious reasons over the last five years, the clerics have become more tolerant of it in situations like Iraq and Israel. I condemn it without reservation, but I don't think it is wrong to understand it. A British MP last year (Jenny Tong) said that "if she lived in palestine then she'd probably become a suicide bomber" and was promptly sacked by the party leader for it. It's that sort of intolerance of empathy or understanding that I object to. And I think the witch hunt on that MP was because there is so much injustice there, and to understand the people who are driven to such misguided acts requires acknowledging that.

I'm also realising as I write, how generic and ignorant the term "suicide bomber" is, as if the label fully describes anyone. This isn't directed at anyone here on the boards, but everytime the media slap that label on someone, it seems as though it is an end to discussion and we know everything. Why did someone kill themself and others like that? Oh, they were a 'suicide bomber.' If one person alone did such an act, there would be articles about why they did it, and invesitgation into their background, their life, what drove them to it. But all we get is "suicide bomber" as some people just happen to be one.

Anyway, back to the mentor spirit, there is a great difference between self-sacrifice out of love, and self-sacrifice out of hatred. Hence my concern over putting both Jesus and a suicide bomber. You could use the latter as the twisted way path though, as it's is certainly misguieded enough.

QUOTE (limejello)
Also the 3 test is given for many sprits from wolf to sky father...3 is the threshold

Yes, it is. But the examples of things that other totems ask for this, such as Dog spirit, is that you must take the test for leaving a teammate behind., betraying someone, etc. You have the same test for not giving money to a beggar. I think you need to raise the standard for the test to something comparable and just assume / role-play that the magician feels bad about not buying a copy of the big issue.
limejello10512
well to be fair kicking someone off "their" land isn't ethnic clensing...ethnic clesning is when you intentionally wipe out an ethnic group, and while I admit israel has gotten careless there is a big difference from a muslim that's killed by a stray peice of sharnapnel from a missile aimed at a terrorist leader and an isrealy blown up in an attack on a supermarket.) I also can't help but notice you have no problem with the muslims invading and conquering it during the dark ages and and butchering the jews (and don't bring up saladin cause this was before his time).

-and please don't assume I'm ignorant just because I hate my enemy. It doesn't mean I don't undertand him. Suicide bomber is an accurate description that doesn't take away from any kind of understaning of their motives. In fact I hate the violent muslim radicals (whom I realize do not represent the majority of muslims) because I understand them. (and being an american I never heard that story...but it sounds like that mp deserved a whitch hunt...I could understand if she were speaking in a role reversel Ie "I would fight the muslim radicals if they invaded my england" but anyone who defends the killing of their countrymen by thei nations enemies does not belong in office.) I still do defend the muslim sucide bomber (and think I should have included kamikaze pilots too) example because despite what they're martyring themselves for...they are martyrs.

Ravor
knasser, I'm not so sure that a spirit would care or even notice the difference between self sacrifice for love or hate, or what is more likely so strange combination of the two. And the reasoning is thus;

It isn't considered toxic or even twisted (And as far as I can tell, in 4th twisted just seems to be code for something that the devs thought too many people would find distasteful.) to destroy a polluting power plant or refinary in the middle of winter despite what the cost in life would be. In fact I don't think anyone would ever question whether the shaman in question did so out of love for the enviroment or hate towards those that despoil mother Gia.

Pesonally I consider the line between normal/twisted and toxic to be where the end results become so twisted upon themselves that you can no longer tell what they used to be, such as protecting the 'new' enviroment of pollution, ect... So in this case a 'toxic' Martyr would be someone who decided to sacrifice himself by putting the people he was 'saving' out of their misery.

However, I do agree that the flaw does need some work unless the OP envisions the follows of Martyr as becoming squatters themselves and living amongst 'thier people'.

--------------------------------------------------

limejello10512, you might want to check the defination of ethnic cleansing sometime.

CODE
ethnic cleansing
One entry found.

ethnic cleansing  

Main Entry: ethnic cleansing
Function: noun
Date: 1991
: the expulsion, imprisonment, or killing of an ethnic minority by a dominant majority in order to achieve ethnic homogeneity

Now with that said, I don't think anyone has actually tried to claim that the muslims were as clean and pure as the wind driven snow or that they haven't dirtied their hands with the blood of innocents either. (However, I haven't read the book that a poster had suggested so I could be wrong based off the containts of the book.) But yes, I do believe that it is ignorant to assign either group in the conflict with a simple label, whether that label is 'the good guys', 'the bad guys', or 'the victims'. Perhaps a better label would be 'the group that is more likely to aid with our goals in the region', but that label doesn't make said group's actions in the recent or distant past right or acceptable.
6thDragon
limejello10512 You might want to re-check your history. The Jews were initially expelled from what is present day Israel, by the Roman Empire in 70AD, and I believe Arabs had nothing to do with it. You appear to have a very strong anti-Arab view, so I'll put very little effort into changing your opinions. I consider myself to be at least an amateur authority on Middle Eastern history; it played a large part on my field of study during my undergraduate work. However, with that said, I may be slightly biased too because my wife is Arab and I have a very keen understanding of their culture and history. Also, don't forget the Tamil Tigers were the ones who developed the modern tactic of suicide bombing. They are neither Arab nor Muslim. They're just in a part of the world that doesn't appear in the media very often.

However, with all that out of the way, when I think of someone who would follow Martyr as a mentor, I don't think material possessions would be a major concern to them. Ravor, expressed some concern with them being overgenerous to the point to living in poverty themselves; which is about how I see them also. I don't think many PCs would take this as a Mentor, but it would be appropriate for certain NPCs.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (limejello10512 @ Mar 13 2007, 05:16 PM)
-and please don't assume I'm ignorant just because I hate my enemy.  It doesn't mean I don't undertand him.

No, but it does mean that you don't understand war. It is idiotic to hate one's enemies because it makes peace impossible without the total annihilation of one side or the other.

In war, people shoot each other and they blow each other up. That is just the way it is. It isn't sometime one should get upset about because wars end, political landscapes change, and enemies become allies.

The validity of driving a car filled with explosives into a supermarket and the validity of launching a cruise missile at an enemy leader's home both depend on which side you support. Both will be supported as necessary and good by the side that did it and both will be condemned as evil and cowardly by the other side. That's just the way things are. Neither is more or less valid than the other.

I like to pll out Nelson Mandela as my "blowing up supermarkets is a good thing" example because everybody likes Nelson Mandela. He was the first democratically elected President of South Africa; makes appearances on Opera; he spend years in prison for standing up for his political beliefs.

Nelson Mandela was a political prisoner, of course. He was imprisoned because he choose to express his political beliefs. He expressed those beliefs by blowing stuff up, which is what he was convicted for. He never blow people up, personally, and was never convicted of blowing people up. But, he planned to blow people up, conspired to blow people up, and his followers did blow people up while he was in prison.

But he was a good guy fighting the just fight, so it is okay that his followers blew up banks and restaurants and supermarkets and put tires filled with gasoline around people's necks and set them on fire. These acts can be considered illegal by only the barest of unjust technicalities and completely morally right.

And if those acts are right and just, why the hell isn't it right and just when radical Muslims do it? It is only because we were on Mandela's side. We believed in what he was fighting for. But, we don't believe in what they are fighting for. They're fighting against what we believe in, so their actions are automatically atrocious.

But that is off topic.
The suicide bomber would be a twisted martyr because it is an empty sacrifice. It is trivial to set a bomb and then leave. In most cases, the impact will be the same.The only time that suicide bombing is effective is when one is targeting a specific individual and cannot gain confirmation of that individual's presence from outside of the blast radius.
laughingowl
The problem is:

martyr
1: a person who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty of witnessing to and refusing to renounce a religion
2: a person who sacrifices something of great value and especially life itself for the sake of principle

Well the description (and shadowrun in general) pretty much pulls religion out from mentor spirits, so the first definition is not generally applicable.

The second could apply, ACCEPT the very principal defined is helping others. Now if you changed it to:

The Great Spirit of the Martyr Lives to sacrifice of himself to help his cause, without any consideration for his own well being. He protects his cause and despises those that harm his cause when the time to serve comes for he would sooner destroy himself than weaken his cause.

When written that:
"He protects the innocent and despises slefishness, greed and cowerdice when the time to serve comes for he would sooner destroy himself than take advantage of an innocent"

That would pretty much rule out any situation where you are harming those you do not 100% know are 'guility'.

While sucide bombers MAY be martyr (depending on why and your personal beliefs of why/what they did), 'The Great Spirit of the Martyr' as written by the OP could never tolerate a sucide bomber since they very very likely are going to harm innocents.

Also as a personal note: I would see +2 soak rolls rather then +2 counterspelling. Martyr to me arent necessilry known for 'removing' effects (especially magic) but sotically suffering for their beliefs. (or perhaps +2 pain resitance).
Fix-it
QUOTE (limejello10512)
in fact I'm very patriotic and I've long said the only good violent muslim radical is a dead one...

you keep using that word "patriotic",

I do not think it means what you think it means
Redjack
I hesistate to post for fear of being flamed to death, but I will open my mouth to attempt to add some balance to the debate this seems to have become..
QUOTE (Ravor; Mar 14 2007 @ 06:34 PM)
Main Entry: ethnic cleansing
Function: noun
Date: 1991
: the expulsion, imprisonment, or killing of an ethnic minority by a dominant majority in order to achieve ethnic homogeneity

Ok, I don't want to be painted on either side but if you're gonna pick on someone's choice of words..... I don't think the Israeli's are in anyway a majority in the middle east.
QUOTE (6thDragon; Mar 14 2007 @ 07:18 PM)
limejello10512 {..snip..}..You appear to have a very strong anti-Arab view

I'm sorry but I read the post you refer back to. He said..
QUOTE (limejello10512; Mar 13 2007 @ 05:16 PM)
In fact I hate the violent muslim radicals (whom I realize do not represent the majority of muslims)

I would have thought you would have drawn the opposite conclusion..? Is he then wrong?
----------
Now back on topic:
QUOTE (laughingowl; Mar 14 2007 @ 07:45 PM)
When written that:
"He protects the innocent and despises slefishness, greed and cowerdice when the time to serve comes for he would sooner destroy himself than take advantage of an innocent"

That would pretty much rule out any situation where you are harming those you do not 100% know are 'guility'.

While sucide bombers MAY be martyr (depending on why and your personal beliefs of why/what they did), 'The Great Spirit of the Martyr' as written by the OP could never tolerate a sucide bomber since they very very likely are going to harm innocents.

I like this a lot since it seems more in line with the definition of a martyr since even in the Muslim communities it is highly debated as to whether a suicide bomber is a martyr and pretty much dismissed as a misuse of the word outside the community.
Ravor
QUOTE (Redjack)
Ok, I don't want to be painted on either side but if you're gonna pick on someone's choice of words..... I don't think the Israeli's are in anyway a majority in the middle east.

Ah, but if you noticed I didn't bring up the defination until limejello10512 tried to claim that someone who was using the word correctly was wrong.

Also the last time that I checked, the land of Israel/Palastine /= the entirely of the Middle East.

So unless I missed some really big news item today and that relatively low-grade conflict really flared up into major regional open warfare then I stand by Webster's defination and my stance that it is valid in this case. (Although I am left wondering what the proper term is when a small but more powerful minority engauges in what amounts to Ethnic Cleansing as it was probably technically more correct in the very begining of this conflict, but not anymore.)
Redjack
QUOTE (Ravor)
Ah, but if you noticed I didn't bring up the defination until limejello10512 tried to claim that someone who was using the word correctly was wrong.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The arabs/muslims are far from an ethnic minority and the Isaelies/jews are far from a dominant majority in the region.
QUOTE (Ravor; Mar 14 2007 @ 08:39 PM)
Although I am left wondering what the proper term is when a small but more powerful minority

Ok, you gave me that one...
So unless I missed some really big news item today and that relatively low-grade conflict really flared up into major regional

The conflict is in fact a regional conflict... Perhaps you've missed the involvement of Syria and Hezbollah (Lebanon), the tunnels bringing weapons in from Egypt or the influence of Iran?

Now if we want to talk about a stated goal of dominant majority in order to achieve ethnic homogeneity, we can just add Iran to this conversation... but I digress.
Ravor
QUOTE (Redjack)
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The arabs/muslims are far from an ethnic minority and the Isaelies/jews are far from a dominant majority in the region.

Then we'll have to agree to disargee then, because as I've said, the land of Israel/Palastine /= the entirely of the Middle East. Now if you want to start expanding into the larger arena of supporters/proxies and the shifting political alignances of both the region and the world at large then I agree that the term ethnic cleansing no longer applies, the term I'd start using at that point is Cold War, but I personally don't believe that the larger civilazation clash really applies to this discussion at this time.

QUOTE (Redjack)
Ok, you gave me that one...

Partially but not really, as I qualifed my musing with a timestamp of in the very first days of the conflict perhaps a different term was more accurent then ethnic cleansing, but once again I imagine that we'll just have to agree to disagree.

QUOTE (Redjack)
The conflict is in fact a regional conflict... Perhaps you've missed the involvement of Syria and Hezbollah (Lebanon), the tunnels bringing weapons in from Egypt or the influence of Iran?

Please don't insult my intelligence. If you are going to quote me then at least use entire thoughts instead of deciding to cut right before I qualify my statements. At the moment there isn't regional OPEN warfare going on. Now, I happen to agree that there is a regional/world proxie cold war going on that has a very real chance of flaring into something more serious, but at the moment the Israelie/Palastinian conflict is a relatively minor and low-grade conflict.

QUOTE (Redjack)
Now if we want to talk about a stated goal of dominant majority in order to achieve ethnic homogeneity, we can just add Iran to this conversation... but I digress.

Yes, and that would make Iran guilty of at least enspousing ethnic cleansing as well now wouldn't it? (A tyranical government that says and does outragous things, why I've never heard of such a thing.) But reguardless that doesn't excuse Israel from the morality of her actions and also expands the discussion far beyond the actual Israelie/Palastinian conflict which is the crux of the discussion at hand.

For example, we could also expand the discusion futher aboard and into history and talk about how American citizens were a large surporter of terrorism in Ireland via the IRA but I don't really see how that would be any more relavent then the direction in which you are trying to go.
WhiskeyMac
Just as a side note to the quote of "the winners write history", American soldiers during WW2 threw babies against walls just like the big bad Nazis did. We committed just as many atrocities, without including the Holocaust, as they did. We had "detainment" camps and we also were allies too the biggest butcher of Jews in WW2, Stalin. So, yeah, the victors do re-write history.
knasser
QUOTE (limejello10512)
well to be fair kicking someone off "their" land isn't ethnic clensing...ethnic clesning is when you intentionally wipe out an ethnic group, and while I admit israel has gotten careless there is a big difference from a muslim that's killed by a stray peice of sharnapnel from a missile aimed at a terrorist leader and an isrealy blown up in an attack on a supermarket.)

One of the people that I admire the most, Ghandi, said that an eye for an eye will just make the whole World blind. Two wrongs don't make a right and to start comparing and contrasting them according to sides is not useful. One should (assuming one opposes it at all), oppose violence and murder itself, rather than violence and murder on one party's side. There are many Israeli that oppose what is being done to the palestinian people, and the greatest trick of the Israeli government is to pretend to the world that it is synonymous with the jewish people.

As to Israel "getting careless," when was it not? I wont ask what number of children killed and homes destroyed you would accept as a low enough price for killing a "terrorist leader." I put terrorist leader in quotes there because they are your words and I don't think such a term fits all of the many people who have been abducted and imprisoned without trial (hundreds), the elected officials who have been assassinated or the occasional power station that was deliberately destroyed. I would however, ask why you put "their land" in quotes, seeing as it's pretty undisputable how the Palestinian people were driven out.

QUOTE (limejello)
I also can't help but notice you have no problem with the muslims invading and conquering it during the dark ages and and butchering the jews  (and don't bring up saladin cause this was before his time).

I have to answer this because it was directed specifically at me. If you're referring to the taking of the city in 638, I'm not aware of a "butchering" of jewish inhabitants. I'm probably not aware of that because Jerusalem, until that time, was a Christian stronghold and Jews were banned from the city so there really weren't any to butcher. However, under islamic rule, Jews were then allowed to return to the city and to practice their religion. Big improvement in my opinion. But none of this is hugely relevant. I can point at hideous crimes on the part of Christians historically, I can point out hideous crimes on the part of Jewish, and unlike you, I can pick out crimes committed by muslim forces. But none of this is relevant to the suffering and injustice that goes on today. No person can be blamed for something that happened before they were born. and when they are, it is usually by a party that wishes to commit or justify some injustice today.

and please don't assume I'm ignorant just because I hate my enemy.  It doesn't mean I don't undertand him.

Hate always blinds people. You, me, all of us. To truly understand someone, limits our ability to hate them. I have always found this. Can you imagine what sort of life or experiences would drive you to dress yourself in explosives and murder innocent people? I'm not sure I can. The reason I objected to the witch hunt on the MP that was sacked, which you think is a good thing, is because society seems unable to accept that understanding is different to condoning. But understanding is vital to finding peace. Too often, "suicide bomber" is used as a quick little description that requires no understanding or explanation. Yet there is a whole history and life behind every one. And seeing why someone made such an awful choice helps us see why someone else might, and what might be done to prevent them being driven to that.

anyone who defends the killing of their countrymen by thei nations enemies does not belong in office.)

She did not. Being British is not the same as being Israeli. But comments of right or wrong should not be based on allegiance, but on principle. If you are against violence as I am, then I have to be against it on all sides, or I am not truly against it, but only against it when it interferes with my goals.

I still do defend the muslim sucide bomber (and think I should have included kamikaze pilots too) example because despite what they're martyring themselves for...they are martyrs.

As I say, there is a big difference between self-sacrifice out of love and self-sacrifice out of hatred, and if a mentor spirit is one that supports or portrays a particular mindset, then the examples you give are too different to be in the same portfolio. Someone earlier did say that it could be a good twisted way version though.
Farceseer Siranaul
All this is fine and dandy, but this is a thread about a game. Could we actually get back on topic here?
Glyph
Personally, I think that laughingowl's revision comes closer to the author's original intent, if the mentor spirit is intended to be inclusive of things such as suicide bombers without classifying them as twisted way.

I'll put a question out there. Anyone think this would be a fun mentor spirit to actually have for a character, or is it more likely to be the sole province of NPCs?
Ravor
Well I wouldn't use it with any PC that I built, but I can see it making for an interesting NPC.
knasser
QUOTE (Glyph)
Personally, I think that laughingowl's revision comes closer to the author's original intent, if the mentor spirit is intended to be inclusive of things such as suicide bombers without classifying them as twisted way.

I'll put a question out there. Anyone think this would be a fun mentor spirit to actually have for a character, or is it more likely to be the sole province of NPCs?

I think as written, it would be very difficult to play as there is usually too much self-interest necessary to fit into a standard game and or team. You might want to buy that power focus, but would such a character realistically do that when there is so much good that you could do with that money. You can justify it in various ways, but you need the right environment. After all, you can't say that you need the focus to help you fight the forces of evil if you're only ripping off prototypes for nuyen.

And I think few players would be willing to identify with the mindset. Genuine sacrifice for the greater good is admirable, but someone who goes out looking for ways to harm themselves for other people has a different goal, I think. Historical figures who have made great sacrifices, did so out of necessity, not a psychological desire to be a martyr. IMHO, anyway. I could actually see "Martyr" as being the twisted way version of Pheonix, as Wasabi sort of mentioned. Still wanting heroism and glory, but depressed, troubled and fixed on the idea that their death is the means to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012