Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Cell: Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WhiskeyMac
So I've read Red Cell by Richard Marcinko and that inspired me to do some research on Tiger Teams. After researching them and also reading some more of Marcinko's Rogue Warrior series (Really good books!), I started thinking about their implimentation into Shadowrun. Would you be able to run Tiger Teams roughly the same as a group of shadowrunners but with a more structured set-up? Or are Tiger Teams what developers were thinking about when they originally thought up the idea of Shadowrun?

Just wondering how you guys would run a Tiger Team or Red Cell unit in Shadowrun.
Mistwalker
Since I haven't read those books, nor likely too anytime soon due to lack of tim in rl, I have no idea.
I would need a bit more information on what Red Cell and Tiger Teams are.
Ed_209a
I believe WM is talking about teams that the US Navy uses to test security on their bases. IIRC, these teams would sneak/sleaze onto a base and plant time delay smoke bombs to stand for real bombs. Wikipedia says they leave cardboard signs and notes, but you get the idea.

Since Tiger teams emulate terrorists/thieves, they would operate exactly like shadowrunners. You might even start with real 'runners, and the line "Last night's run went terribly bad. You all have headaches and cortex bombs. Welcome to to Mitsuhama Security. You are now a Tiger Team."
cristomeyers
You wouldn't even really have to use cortex bombs to get them to do it. There'd always be a demand for ways to test your security...

...and if some deniable assets should be killed in the process, well that's why they're called "deniable"
Kyoto Kid
...hmmmmm... Sneakers?
WhiskeyMac
Actually Sneakers is the perfect example of a Tiger Team. Someone pays you to expose their security flaws without deadly force.
eidolon
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...hmmmmm... Sneakers?

My thoughts exactly. That movie rules.

I have actually run a scenario like that, but it has been forever and I don't remember much of it beyond "yeah, I ran a scenario like that once".
kzt
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Actually Sneakers is the perfect example of a Tiger Team. Someone pays you to expose their security flaws without deadly force.

And in an actual example of why Marcinko isn't in the Navy any more, consider the time he did a tiger team operation on Guam. During this one of his experts managed to set off a large simulator on the flight line. It was directly over a many hundred thousand gallon jet fuel storage system. They didn't quite manage to accidentally destroy the main fuel farm for the Western Pacific, but they did blow the leg off the security policewoman who found it.

What got him thrown in jail and out of the Navy was that he was caught defrauding the USG on his travel expenses, but what made people look hard was crap like that. And that his super secret never breath a word CT team had belt buckles made up (with the classified team name on them) that they wore off duty.

Remember, a little quiet professionalism goes a long way.
WhiskeyMac
I'm not saying Marcinko is an innocent victim of a govermental witch hunt. I was saying that the idea of Red Cell, which he helped create, and his novels, which after Rogue Warrior are fiction, are good examples for alternate Shadowrun styles.

I am on your side though about his attitude. That guy needs a swift kick in his nuts or something to get him off his soapbox. I usually just filter that stuff out when I'm reading his books anyways.
Ravor
Although not exactly a 'Tiger Team', I remember New Seatle talking about how the military will pay Shadowrunners to basically play Laser Tag in one of their training areas.

Of course, it is also mentioned that sometimes the military teams get to use live fire against the Laser Tagged Runners...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (kzt)
Remember, a little quiet professionalism goes a long way.

...something I always try to impart to the PCs on the missions I run.

...a fair amount of the time, unsuccessfully mind you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012