Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate ways of dealing with cyberware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
Maybe I'm the only one that this bothers but personally I don't like the huge number of dice that you can end up with. I don't mind a handful but some of these dice pools get up to 20+ and that just seems rediculous. There has to be a better way.

I was thinking what if cyberware gave a smaller number of automatic successes or reduced thresholds or things like that. Your cyberware, or any machine for that matter, should be less variable then a shaky human part. Maybe if they gave a flat bonus instead of additional dice much of the time it would reduce the dice pool but still give that person the benefits of the ware they paid for.

Maybe have a smaller range of bonuses but have them static. You still have to roll sucesses to get the effect to work or aim it.

Ideas?
Ravor
Well just remember that on average +3 Dice = +1 Auto Hit, plus I think that you might start seeing some strange results.
Garrowolf
Well I think that it is 4 dice but I know what you mean.
ShadowDragon
Usually when a character is rolling over 20 dice for something, that's the ONLY thing they're good at. You have to sacrifice a lot of well roundedness to specialize that much.
Garrowolf
But if it is what they are specialized in then they will roll it often so it doesn't help
ShadowDragon
They won't be rolling it often if they get into a variety of situations provided by the GM.
deek
Yeah, I agree with the last comment...hardly do any of my players get to roll their straight die pool...there is always something that is applying a penalty...if you GM is not getting that 20+ die pool down some, I'd say he is ignoring a good portion of the combat rules.
Ravor
Aye, according to RAW you can trade in 4 dice for 1 Hit, but I was refering to the actual odds themselves, which I think is 3 Dice = 1 Auto Hit since each Die has 1/3 chance of sucess.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Your cyberware, or any machine for that matter, should be less variable then a shaky human part.

Except the machine is USED by a shaky human part.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Ravor)
Aye, according to RAW you can trade in 4 dice for 1 Hit, but I was refering to the actual odds themselves, which I think is 3 Dice = 1 Auto Hit since each Die has 1/3 chance of sucess.

I used to make that argument too.

http://www.unseelie.org/cgi-bin/shadow.cgi

You have an 80% chance to get a success on 4 dice. That's a reasonable number to work with.

You have a 70% chance to get one or more successes on 3 dice. So odds are, you will, but it's less of a guarentee.

Ravor
Hmm, I stand corrected.
Fezig
I personally don't see a problem with the workings of cyberware. There are a million other places I'd look at first to reduce some dice pools. I guess its just a difference of opinions on that one...
Garrowolf
Okay what other way would you reduce dice pools besides penalties?
mfb
well, with max firearms skill and attribute, you can have a dice pool of 5 on a max-range shot in complete darkness with no cyberware or other enhancements at all. 5 dice means you've got a very good chance of getting at least one hit.
Leehouse
Though, if it is max range and complete darkness, how do you know what you're shooting at? How do you know where they are well enough to actually shoot at them, rather than randomly in their direction.
Garrowolf
Yes I have to agree with Leehouse. It isn't just about having a high enough dice pool to deal with just any amount of penalties. That is even less realistic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012