Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possesing a broom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lividicus
If i make a hedge magician with a broom could i make an air spirit posses it to make it fly!?
fistandantilus4.0
well, on pg 102 for possession rules, inanimate vessels, it says that
While the spirit may use all it's powers on the physical plane through suhc a vessel, it may only animate it to perform actions the vessel could otherwise mecahnically perform.

Then on SR4 Movement power pg 289
The critter may increase or decrease the subject's movement rate within the terrain it controls.

I would say that by the definitition of possession you couldn't do it through use of that alone. but since air spirits have the Movement power, you could use a second service to use the movement power on the broom.

So, by possession alone, no. use a second power , yes.

Be easier to just make it a sustaining foci for a levitate spell.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
well, on pg 102 for possession rules, inanimate vessels, it says that
While the spirit may use all it's powers on the physical plane through suhc a vessel, it may only animate it to perform actions the vessel could otherwise mecahnically perform.

Then on SR4 Movement power pg 289
The critter may increase or decrease the subject's movement rate within the terrain it controls.

I would say that by the definitition of possession you couldn't do it through use of that alone. but since air spirits have the Movement power, you could use a second service to use the movement power on the broom.

So, by possession alone, no. use a second power , yes.

Be easier to just make it a sustaining foci for a levitate spell.

...ahh I sense someone wants to go Harry Potter eh?
pestulens
So not according to RAW, but ask your GM because thats assume.
Ophis
As long as the spirit in the broom has psychokinesis I'd say yes the broom can fly. Air spirits get it as an optional power so I'd definitely say this is possible.
knasser
By RAW, no it could not, because spirits don't have the Fly power. Air Spirits have the Flight skill which is to flying what the Run skill is to running, but the actual ability to fly is a property of their manifesting. And contrary to what others have posted, the Movement power wont help unless it can already fly.

However, as Ophis points out, get to Force three and your air spirit can have the optional power of Psychokinesis. That gives it strength and quickness equal to hits on a Magic + Willpower roll, so it wont be especially impressive unless you have a sillily high force, though spend a service for the Movement power and it does get better.

If it's the flavour that you want, then I would have the character enchant the broom as a sustaining focus or for a few karma, once you are an initiate you can quicken a Levitate spell on the broom (you will want as many hits as possible on this).

Of course once you have the broom flying in this manner, then possession by a spirit with Movement power will help you catch the golden snitch. (Sorry couldn't resist smile.gif )

Hope this helps,

-K.
fistandantilus4.0
subject's movement rate within the terrain it controls

I was thinking movement because of that ----------^. Air spirit, terrain would be air, movement in air.

I still think a sustaining foci would be easier though.
hyzmarca
knaser is correct. The Movement Power applies a scaler to the subject's to the movement rate. 0*999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
is still zero. It doesn't matter how powerful your spirit is. If it can't move, movement won't make it move.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012