Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grenades and Scatter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magus
With Grenades it always seems so difficult to get them where you want them in the SR world in comparison with the real world. With a grenade from a GL does the grenade still scatter/bounce? With a grenade from a M-203 GL where the grenade impacts it explodes.
Timing Grenades pg 145
As noted under Timed Items and Initiative (p. 135),
a grenade detonates on the next Initiative Pass using the
Initiative Score of the character who threw it (unless the attacker
is using an airburst link, see p. 310, in which it detonates
on that Action Phase).

Determine Scatter pg 145
Having determined the direction of the scatter, the gamemaster
next calculates its base distance. Th e Scatter Table indicates the
number of dice rolled to fi nd the scatter distance. Airburst grenades
only roll 1D6 for scatter (see Airburst Link, p. 310).

Now with an airburst link why does this not happen? Why does it still "bounce" instead of explode/detonate on impact? Is there anyway to get this to occur?

FIREARM ACCESSORIES pg. 310
Airburst Link: Th is grenade/rocket launcher smartgun
accessory uses the distance to the target as determined by the
rangefi nder and programs the minigrenade/rocket to explode
in the air aft er it has traveled the target distance. Th is airburst
setting reduces the scatter from 3D6 to 1D6. All minigrenades/
rockets can be timed in this manner. Air-timed airburst attacks
explode in the Action Phase in which they were launched.

I can understand somewhat why a thrown grenade might bounce on a hard surface ie glancing blow, but how in hell does it bounce right back at the thrower on soft ground.
kzt
I think it's it's more that the grenade doesn't actually hit where you intended, rather then bouncing and exploding. There are odd things in the SR4 combat system, and this is one, as an normally competent M203 gunner is supposed to be able to put a grenade through a typical house window at 100 meters pretty reliably.
Magus
I know I could back in the 82nd. The 203 was my favorite weapon system and I was damn good with it.
Aaron
QUOTE (Magus)

Now with an airburst link why does this not happen? Why does it still "bounce" instead of explode/detonate on impact? Is there anyway to get this to occur?

Timing.
ShadowDragon
I've had to address this problem in my games. The rules for when a grenade detonates contradict themselves in some areas, so I allow the PC or NPC to choose whether or not they want their grenade to detonate on impact or wait until the next round. And, scatter refers to more than just bouncing. It's a general inaccuracy due to human flaw and random chance. You have to look at the rules with a certain amount of abstraction, they can't be taken too literally or they don't make sense. No game rule makes absolute, realistic sense when taken too literally.
pestulens
QUOTE (kzt)
I think it's it's more that the grenade doesn't actually hit where you intended, rather then bouncing and exploding. There are odd things in the SR4 combat system, and this is one, as an normally competent M203 gunner is supposed to be able to put a grenade through a typical house window at 100 meters pretty reliably.

Well 1d6 scatter vs a dp 8 (windows don't role reaction, and airburst link requires a smartlink) gives you well over a 50% success rate (assuming the window is about 1 meter witch is a bit unrealistic but we can hardly call it anything smaller and have the rolls still make seance)
I've had to address this problem in my games. The rules for when a grenade detonates contradict themselves in some areas, so I allow the PC or NPC to choose whether or not they want their grenade to detonate on impact or wait until the next round. And, scatter refers to more than just bouncing. It's a general inaccuracy due to human flaw and random chance. You have to look at the rules with a certain amount of abstraction, they can't be taken too literally or they don't make sense. No game rule makes absolute, realistic sense when taken too literally.

where do the rolls contradict themselves? grenades detonate on the throwers incitive in the next incitive pass unless they are lunched from a grenade launcher with an airburst link in witch case they detonate emediatly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012