Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hypothetical Question about Neural bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nasrudith
What would happen if someone was to try to use say a cerebral booster that was not cultured specifically for them? Would it be rejected or would they end up going crazy because of it? Just a matter of morbid curiosity.
ornot
I'd say it was rejected, and depending on how bad my day had been, it might take a few points of attributes with it.

It's not made entirely clear how all these implants are inserted without causing massive immune responses. I presume that Joe Ganger with his handblade isn't on a hefty dose of immune suppressants to prevent his hand dropping off due to an autoimmune response.

I guess they just know a great deal more about the immune system in SR
hobgoblin
older versions of SR had different levels of replacment limbs.

some where generic limbs tailored to match anyone to the best of its ability. some where like today, matched up from leftovers after someone died. and the expensive kind, specifically cloned from your own cells.

btw, i recall hearing about kids that had replacement organs done at a early age. it was later found that their body was producing blood cells that matched both their original dna and the dna of their new organs.

in effect, their immune system was regarding said organ as its own. no drugs needed.

now if one can trick a adult body into doing something similar, things start to get interesting.

and a handblade (cyberware iirc) would be a very different story. if it had its outer shell coated in the right materials the body would not react to it at all (remember, people get replacement hips and similar done these days as they grow old or have bad accidents).

the biggest issue here is any opening. but there have been some interesting development there recently. earlier, one had to keep the area around the opening clean as the body considered it a open wound. but someone had the bright idea of studing the antlers of deer and similar. what they found was that at its base the antlers had a kind of mesh ring that allowed the skin to grow inbetween, turning it into many small piercings or loops of skin in a way. so now they are looking into doing the same on humans, but using metal rather then bone.
pestulens
QUOTE (Nasrudith)
What would happen if someone was to try to use say a cerebral booster that was not cultured specifically for them? Would it be rejected or would they end up going crazy because of it? Just a matter of morbid curiosity.

congradulatins, you're sendes no longer connect to the integration areas of you're bran. Engoy your life as a vegetable.
altho since Nerve cells never interact directly with the immune system, I have no idea why the cerebral booster is cultured biowar. A bit hard to cut out of somewone thou (It seems to be just a bunch of extra nerves rather than one solid mass) so I don't really know how you would get one not maid for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012